Build thread: Monster in progress

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Sounds like a bad ass motor. Race tune with over 700 rwhp. NICE!!! Do you drag race? (if not, your fine.) 'cause in the long run....it ain't gonna last. I started at the rear of my car and worked my way up. Haven't made it to the motor...yet! (check sig. you'll figure
out what I mean)

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Sounds like a bad ass motor. Race tune with over 700 rwhp. NICE!!! Do you drag race? (if not, your fine.) 'cause in the long run....it ain't gonna last. I started at the rear of my car and worked my way up. Haven't made it to the motor...yet! (check sig. you'll figure
out what I mean)

I enjoy drag racing but i dont do it every weekend, every now and then maybe, but im not gonna be putting slicks on it and dumping the clutch haha. It will be driven daily and i wont be pushing the limits of this car at the beginning, needs to be broken in, and i want to enjoy it for a while.
Sounds like you got the right idea with your car, just need a sweet power adder and its good to go!

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
If it were mine; I'd go ahead and sell the 1 5/8 headers and buy a bigger set before putting the motor back in the car.

Easier to do it now than later.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
If it were mine; I'd go ahead and sell the 1 5/8 headers and buy a bigger set before putting the motor back in the car.

i was really considering it, i bought them from my local tuner, so maybe i can give them a shout and can swap them out for me, other wise i can sell them outright and try and break even, i dont need the headers to be the only restriction.

timbo3282

Established Member

Absolutely. You definitely DON'T want to have to swap these later, and going with the 1 5/8's is just shorting yourself.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
hey guys, i thought i would update the thread so far, there hasn't been much going on since i've been waiting for the engine to be built and shipped. I have since installed the fore hat on the tank and hooked most of the lines up, pretty much everything that i can do from the rear of the car i have installed.

I do have a question to you guys regarding the headers, I currently have kooks 1 5/8 headers w/ 2.5 in collectors with Borla stingers for my exhaust setup. The kooks headers and collectors are still new in box, the question has come up of upgrading to the 1 3/4 headers w/ 3 inch collectors, I spoke to my local tuner and he had mentioned that I can still keep my 1 5/8 setup and that I will only loose around 15 hp up top but net more torque overall, whereas if I switched to the 1 3/4 setup up, I could gain some hp and lose a bit of torque. What do you guys think about this? also i'm pretty sure my Borlas' are 2.5 inch piping all the way through, so would the 1 3/4 w/ 3 inch collectors even work?? I honestly don't mind losing a small amount of hp to gain some torque, as long as there is still some improvement in one aspect.

let me know what you guys think :beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i think you're splitting hairs on the exhaust if this is primarily a street car. if it's full drag car or whatever, then by all means go bigger. it's going to be an animal either way

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
This is definitely gonna be a street car with limited track use, ill be daily driving it for around a year till i get my next car. As for the headers, i know the car will make insane power, just wanted a second opinion, just wasnt sure if the smaller header would be a significant choke point for the motor.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
headers

so let me get this straight , your building a new motor with stage 3 ported heads and a 2.8 kb ? why would you even ask if you should run the bigger header yes yes yes , your build says to me " i want the most out of my 4.6 " so why not go with that mantra in every aspect, just my opinion, but if you already have the other header header than it would suck to have to sell those and buy new ones , at least you bought KOOKS....:-D

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
so let me get this straight , your building a new motor with stage 3 ported heads and a 2.8 kb ? why would you even ask if you should run the bigger header yes yes yes , your build says to me " i want the most out of my 4.6 " so why not go with that mantra in every aspect, just my opinion, but if you already have the other header header than it would suck to have to sell those and buy new ones , at least you bought KOOKS....:-D

I know i know, thats the pain in the ass, if i could evenly swap my headers out i would, its the only thing that im debating upon, if its a matter of a few hp than i dont mind, but i want to do this once. Ill give kooks a call and see what kind of options i have, maybe i can just pay a restocking fee.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i say if its got S 3 heads ..and ''cams'' for sure go 1 3/4 tubes''
i almost went 5.3 but people here talked me out of it .

keep updating us with pics

cobra=trouble

Established Member
cause of rod /stroke ratio. they just wear more.. After i get this side job off my rack i can drop mine out. I thought i was going to be able to this morning but ,my Customer should up this morning. now it will be tuesday. always something,,but better busy then not.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
cause of rod /stroke ratio. they just wear more.. After i get this side job off my rack i can drop mine out. I thought i was going to be able to this morning but ,my Customer should up this morning. now it will be tuesday. always something,,but better busy then not.

i understand the rod/stroke ratio and the wearing issues, but i wanted to be different and the package deal that was put together from MMR was to good to pass up, so here i am, and for being busy, thats always a good thing, its what keeps mod money for the car and food on the table, cheers...:beer:

cobracloud

Established Member
:nono: dont even waste your time with those headers-im running 1 5/8 headers on my 3.4 whipple crusher and it def needs big headers on it:bash:-with 25 lbs of boost

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I figured I would wake this thread back up since it's been a while, and to let you guys know that it hasnt hit a dead end.

The motor still isn't here yet, but it is shipping tomorrow from MMR, I have hit one snag, i am goin to put the stock eaton on the car for now, it will be rebuilt and will be sent to Posi for a port as well as a dragon throttle body with port matched plenum. I'm doing this because I don't have 5500 bucks to throw down for the kenne bell, I'll use the extra bit of cash to get a twin disk clutch as well. I'll wait a bit and save some cash and keep my eyes open in the market for a used 2.8 mammoth or whipple 2.9 (I know it's new so it's unlikely), I'm sure somebody will have one on there for around 3gs.

So stay tuned, when the motor arrives and I can get back to work on it I will post the overdue pics of this build. The blower will be sent to posi soon and we will see from there.

Ohh, and I am getting the 1 3/4 headers, all that needs to be paid is the shippin cost back to kooks to swap me out a set.

jcveron

Established Member
so you went from stock heads to stage 3 heads, posi ported eaton to whipple 2.9 to KB 2.8 to posi ported eaton with 100 shot? whats final result?

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
so you went from stock heads to stage 3 heads, posi ported eaton to whipple 2.9 to KB 2.8 to posi ported eaton with 100 shot? whats final result?

Been alot of back and forth, it really is just money at this point, the kennebell is just damn expensive and posi port eaton is just not gonna cut it for this motor, the whipple 2.9 is a great blower and is priced pretty good, so i think thats what makes sense, im only a few grand from finishing this car, so the whipple will be the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread