Build thread: Monster in progress

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I figured I would go ahead and post my build thread, listing the different parts and components that i will be installing in my 04 cobra. I will post pics soon.

This is the complete list of parts that are going in my car. Just a note, all of these parts are being installed by my father and I at home in the garage! Can you say saving some money on labor, i don't even want to imagine the bill on labor for all of this stuff. I am extremely happy with this build and have done tons and tons of research on making sure i do this car right.

Here is the motor that is being built and the parts in the motor, it will be arriving shortly ;)

Engine:
Boss 302 Stroker Street Mod 1000S Shortblock (Stroked out to 5.3L)
Includes:
-MANLEY Forged H-beam Rods
-Coated Pistons
-ARP MAINSTUDS
-MMR Windage Tray w/Hardware kit
-Notched Pistons
-MMR Billet Rear main cover/block support w/hardware
-MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump (highly recommended)
-MMR block side bolts (recommended for 500+ HP)
-ARP Mainstuds (recommended for 600+HP)
-STAGE 3 PORT 4 VALVE
-MMR Bronze Valve Guides DOHC (QTY 32)
-MMR Custom Blower cams for 4V DOHC (ALL) SPECIFY STAGE 3
-Comp High Performance 4V Spring kit
-ARP HEADSTUDS
-4 Valve Gasket kit-MMR/Felpro Head Gaskets, Valve cover gaskets, Oil Pan Gasket, 3 Piece front cover gasket and the MMR 1 piece rear main seal.
-Spark Plugs

SL382442.jpg

SL382443.jpg

SL382444.jpg

SL382445.jpg

I painted the timing chain cover and valve covers myself with some black wrinkle paint from the auto parts store, it came out nice, i wasnt trying to make it look like a masterpiece but it looks better than before, plus add the polished fore rails and a polished whipple 2.9 and were talking sexy!

SL382446.jpg

SL382447.jpg

SL382449.jpg

SL382452.jpg

SL382454.jpg

SL382456.jpg

SL382460.jpg

SL382467.jpg

Whipple 2.9:rockon:
-SCT BA3000

Fuel:
Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Complete Return Style Fuel System
Includes: (Arrived 2 days ago):banana: MAN is this kit well put together!
-Fore Precision Works Dual Walbro Billet Fuel Hat
-Fore Precision Works High Flow Fuel Rails
-Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pressure Regulator
-(2) Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pumps
-8an Fragola Series 8000 Push-Lite Race Hose
-Aeromotive 10 Micron Fuel Filter(Optional Aeromotive 100 Micron Fuel Filter)
-All Necessary Fittings, Hose Clams and Accessories
-80# Siemens Deka injectors

Transmission:
-Steeda TriAx Shifter (Been installed for a year now)
-Spec Stage 3 Plus Clutch Kit (Ordering Tomorrow)
-D&D 26 Spline Input Shaft (Ordering Tomorrow)
-McLeod T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve (Ordering Tomorrow)
-Ford Racing 96-04 Heavy Duty Throwout bearing (Ordering Tomorrow)

Cooling:
-DOHC Cooling Mod
-Reische Performance 170 Degree High Performance Thermostat
-Fluidyne 03-04 Cobra heat Exchanger

Suspension/Wheels:
-UPR K member w/ coil over conversion (Just installed)
-UPR Caster Camber plates (Just installed)
-UPR Motor Mounts
-Full Rear end braces and bushings (Installed them when i bought the car)
-17 x 10.5 stock replicas with nitto nt55r drag radials (1 inch spacer)

Exhaust:
-Kooks 1 5/8 Longtubes w/ offroad x pipe (In the garage in the box)
-Borla Stingers (Installed)
-Stage 8 Header Bolts (Ordered)

Extra:
-Hilton 03-04 Cobra high Boost Overlay (24psi) (Ordered)
-Still working on getting the gauge pods and the rest of the gauges
-Lots of beer for the install

I know for sure that i had to of missed some things but that is the all i can think of right now.

The final compression ratio will be 9:1

The car will be on pump gas and setup for lots of driving use

Looking for a solid tune at 17 PSI on pump gas, i want to enjoy this car and when i have the luxury of owning a second car i can work in dialing the boost up with some race gas ;-)

Tuning will be done at TORQ in Miramar, FL

Aiming for 7XX HP and 7XX TQ on 93 pump

Car should be running by the end of the month, but i know these projects and how long they take so i always assume longer so hopefully next month. Until i have every part that i need sitting in my garage then i cant really give an accurate estimate of when it will be complete, but one can only hope.

Most of the parts have been ordered, alot more will be ordered tomorrow so i will update then and definitely post pics of what i have so far.

Let me know what you guys think!!!!!:beer:

{UPDATE ADDED PICTURES BELOW}
Motor is here and being finished up, We are changing the supercharger to the Whipple 2.9 setup, we still havent ordered it yet but will get it done this week. Stay tuned for a new update with the motor installed and ready to startup, just gonna take a couple weeks to finally get everything together, but were getting to the end and im starting to get excited!

UPDATE:

IT has been HOT!! We were cooking. Although the fuel system is pretty much done, we have to route the lines to the front of the car since we got the motor put in today, also we have to route the wires from the relay hooked up to the FPDM. Shouldn't take to long, we have to put the longtubes on the car, we figured they wouldn't fit but we tried, should of asked you guys first haha. So at this point we have to do the last touches on the fuel system and finish putting the wiring harness and other accessories on the motor, probably with my work schedule, its around another 2 days of labor, we are still waiting on the supercharger but all in due time. Here are some pics of the car so far:

We put the old eaton on for shits and giggles to get a complete look

SL382470.jpg

heres the almost completed wiring for the relay to the FPDM and the wiring to the fuel pumps

SL382471.jpg

the very messy work area, we cleaned it up : ) and yes the drive shaft has been moved to a safe place

SL382472.jpg

Heres some cool pics of all of our stangs, our stable :beer: My dad in the background

SL382473.jpg

SL382474.jpg

SL382475.jpg

SL382476.jpg

SL382477.jpg

Man do those headers look good!

SL382479.jpg

Our $60 version of the head cooling mod, yes it is missing a clamp, we got it.

SL382481.jpg

26 spline installed, sorry no pics of the clutch bolted up, we were on a roll and didnt slow down to much to take pictures

SL382482.jpg

UPDATE 4/27/2011

Motor is finally in the car and the whipple has been ordered, as of now we are checking to make sure all connections are on tight and all grounds are in place. Almost done!

SL382483.jpg

SL382484.jpg

Kooks logo conveniently placed

SL382485.jpg

SL382486.jpg

The steering column was a pain in the ass to get through the piping on the headers, it took some prying but we managed to get it through without having to bend or dent the headers

SL382488.jpg

SL382487.jpg

SL382490.jpg

SL382493.jpg

Some pics of the coil overs and k member

SL382491.jpg

SL382492.jpg

A pic of the fuel lines and where i ran them underneath, i can post more of them if anyone wants a detailed look

SL382494.jpg

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
damn man that's going to be nuts.. congrats and good luck.. I'm curious on how much money you've spent in parts lol. :beer:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Yes, that is a WOW build and I hope you take a ton of pics all of the way through to document the build. I wanna see it all. Have fun.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
SICK build! One question, why Turbo Cams? You can get custom ground blower cams for the same price..

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
SICK build! One question, why Turbo Cams? You can get custom ground blower cams for the same price..

They are only labeled as turbo cams, they are blower cams designed for a twin screw, i made sure to ask that question when i saw the build sheet, haha.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
damn man that's going to be nuts.. congrats and good luck.. I'm curious on how much money you've spent in parts lol. :beer:

I shopped the hell out of all of these parts, i took advantage of as many discounts as possible and some places were really cool in giving me some packaged discounts for buying multiple products. I also took advantage of the holiday discounts that were out, lethal had 10% off fuel systems and they even included my injectors in the discount, that was pretty cool.

As far as the motor goes i saved some coin in reusing my stock heads from my car, also i've been selling some of the engine internals and and other components that i wont reuse to make some of the extra cash up, trying to be smart, i sure as hell am not throwing money that doesn't need to be spent. But i am by no means short changing myself by buying cheaper parts, spend the money and be done with it, do it right once is a good motto to go by, i'm sure alot of people on here can agree.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ I've built my car to by that moto hasn't failed me yet lol.. I just keep replacing stock parts that are breaking now lol

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Appreciate the comments so far, its gonna be so badass when its done, and pics will be up soon, most likely in 5-6 hours, i will be working on getting the majority of the fuel system installed before work.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
just a question- but why did you choose 1 5/8" headers instead of something bigger?

Originally i was going to go with a posi port and 100 shot of nitrous to get around 650 HP, and at that i time i had already purchased the headers, i know 1 3/4 would be more ideal but the car should make power regardless, worst case i can sell em and get a larger header.

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
Everything lol makeing them fit, but now fore makes them for the mammoth, but getin the blower on, makein the braket to the tb fit ect....... It was the hardest thing to do on my car

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Everything lol makeing them fit, but now fore makes them for the mammoth, but getin the blower on, makein the braket to the tb fit ect....... It was the hardest thing to do on my car

I appreciate the info, i did some calling around to fore, kenne bell and lethal, i have the set of rails being sent that are designed to fit the mammoth kit. As for just being a PITA, well hopefully it goes smoothly but either way its gotta be done.

Thanks again for the info

Users who are viewing this thread