build motor

bumsoil

Established Member
I'm putting together a list of parts to buy to build my motor. Its happening soon.

What all will I need. I want a motor that will handle 600hp without an issue. Its a 96 cobra with a healthy motor. I have a local shop that will be doing the machine work.
The plan is to run a on3 turbo kit. But i dont want to run too low of compression.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
Keep your crank, Manley h beam rods, Manley small dish pistons if pump gas, flat tops if your running the good stuff.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Have your stock block bored the smallest amount they need to bore it in order to get back into specs for out of round, etc. Reuse the stock kellog crank and keep it a 4.6. Grab a set of forged rods and pistons, not entirely sure what compression ratio to recommend but I'd think no lower than 9:1. ARP main and head studs, all new gaskets and timing chains, stock heads, custom cams, stock intake manifold.

Custom cams are key to an awesome turbo combination.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Don't forget you will need money for the less-fun stuff also, using a new complete gasket kit, ford timing kit, new water pump, hoses, new sensors and such will be over $1000. A new set of lash adjusters is a bit expensive also.

bumsoil

Established Member
About 15 ago I did a head gasket and rebuilt my heads with new ford valve springs and lash adjusters. New stem seals and stuff. All new gaskets in the intake bout 1k ago. So the motor has some work. I have a good clutch for boost.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Ok, I was just making sure you don't forget about that stuff lol. We just finished an engine and were able to reuse the arp head and main studs, manley rods, and some other parts but I could not believe how expensive it ended up being. Right now I am planning to use a vortech for over 500 rwhp and I can't decide how bad I need to upgrade the trans, I really like the t45.

bumsoil

Established Member
I have been talking to zach at t45 source. He says with a basic rebuild they are good for 450-500.
How much do you have into yoir motor?

Users who are viewing this thread