Budget Turbo Kit for 03 Cobra

TRBO VNM

postban said:
Jason, re the above quote; what rpm do you see full boost at? any difference in full spool rpm from when it is running daily driver boost or "set on kill" boost?

I see full boost about the same time whether 10# or set to kill. I could be wrong since it hits so fast and I need to watch the road, but it is very close. Comes on about 4-4300rpm full boost. just be ready to shift because when it hits, it hits.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
I see full boost about the same time whether 10# or set to kill. I could be wrong since it hits so fast and I need to watch the road, but it is very close. Comes on about 4-4300rpm full boost. just be ready to shift because when it hits, it hits.

I <3 turbos. What is the max boost you are running?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:

thanks man, that sounds fine to me. No where near dropping boost at a shift point while racing and just starts to get lively past where you would be driving normally. Sounds about perfect for "40-roll" type stuff too. :-D

how about when you had the smaller a/r turbine? boost point? Does Hellion charge for larger/smaller a/r's?

sorry for so many q's but you or nate can help out us turbo noobs to make the right kit decision with this info.

Everybody thinks a big single is a handicap, so far the data says otherwise :thumbsup:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
postban said:
Everybody thinks a big single is a handicap, so far the data says otherwise :thumbsup:

Anyone who tells you that does not know what they are talking about, and has a inability to do the legwork to choose the proper turbo for the application. 10-15 years ago that was the case, but not any more.

Personally I like the big single better. Less mess from a tubing and plumbing perspective, and less parts, joints, etc to fail.

Last edited:

rust0r

Established Member
let me be the first to say... port the eaton, full bolt ons and be done with it, probably the cheapest and most feasable route if you're only looking for low 500s

TRBO VNM

LargeOrangeFont said:
I <3 turbos. What is the max boost you are running?

I have only turned it up to 22.7# to be exact(per the BLITZ).

I plan to turn it up more soon. If I can get on the dyno this saturday I might try 25#. haven't been over 21.5# on the dyno, or was that 20.7? whatever my sig says. I have different #'s for dyno and track.

TRBO VNM

postban said:
thanks man, that sounds fine to me. No where near dropping boost at a shift point while racing and just starts to get lively past where you would be driving normally. Sounds about perfect for "40-roll" type stuff too. :-D

how about when you had the smaller a/r turbine? boost point? Does Hellion charge for larger/smaller a/r's?

sorry for so many q's but you or nate can help out us turbo noobs to make the right kit decision with this info.

too big of a single can be a handicap depending on what you want to do with the car. Eric(SVTDubs) had what? an 80 or 88 on his? granted it wasn't fully tuned or whatever, but he wasn't hitting good power or even spooling up till higher in the rpm range based on the graphs posted.

the 76 is a great size for the hellion kit to be used on the street and track, as already proven numerous times. As far as the exhaust housing size between the 81 and 96, there is probably about a 3-400 rpm difference in spool up time. so minimal that it is hardly noticed. I still have the 81 if anyone wants to buy it.

when ordering the hellion you can specify either housing and there the same price. if you ordered the housing after like I did, I believe it was about 170 shipped or so. I recommend the 96 to everyone. I found it made more power up top and held it longer in the rpm range.

TRBO VNM

rust0r said:
let me be the first to say... port the eaton, full bolt ons and be done with it, probably the cheapest and most feasable route if you're only looking for low 500s

true, but he is looking for more and will start out low with the turbo, but wants the ability to crank it up. can't do that when you maxxed out the eaton already. well, you can spend more money on a whipple or KB, but by the time you are done maxxing out the eaton, then the KB/whipple, you are paying about the same as if you just did the turbo from the start.

StangJason

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
true, but he is looking for more and will start out low with the turbo, but wants the ability to crank it up. can't do that when you maxxed out the eaton already. well, you can spend more money on a whipple or KB, but by the time you are done maxxing out the eaton, then the KB/whipple, you are paying about the same as if you just did the turbo from the start.

You are one of the few that understands my line of thinking. I just can't explain it near as good as you do so thanks. :rockon:

rust0r

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:

good point, i never picked that up from what i had read here

StangJason

Established Member
rust0r said:
good point, i never picked that up from what i had read here

I probably came no where near asking it the way I wanted to and just needed someone to pull it out of me.

I really just want an entry level kit that won't break the bank or car initially that I can expand on later while also getting rid of the supercharger issues that I'm tired of dealing with.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
StangJason said:
I probably came no where near asking it the way I wanted to and just needed someone to pull it out of me.

I really just want an entry level kit that won't break the bank or car initially that I can expand on later while also getting rid of the supercharger issues that I'm tired of dealing with.

Now that that is settled, buy the Hellion and run it at wastegate boost. That is 10 lbs or so I believe. you probably wont need and fuel upgrades, and you wont need a boost controller.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
I have only turned it up to 22.7# to be exact(per the BLITZ).

I plan to turn it up more soon. If I can get on the dyno this saturday I might try 25#. haven't been over 21.5# on the dyno, or was that 20.7? whatever my sig says. I have different #'s for dyno and track.

What kind of boost taper are you getting towards redline?

Also this is more of a Hellion sales question... can you buy their MM K member for the Hellion kit seperately before the turbo kit purchase?

Would installing said K member help you with the install at all? Meaning would you need to remove the K again anyway when you got the turbo kit?

Last edited:

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Also this is more of a Hellion sales question... can you buy their MM K member for the Hellion kit seperately before the turbo kit purchase?

Would installing said K member help you with the install at all? Meaning would you need to remove the K again anyway when you got the turbo kit?

you can buy the stuff from mm or a mm dealer, but you cannot just buy the mm stuff from hellion unless you buy the kit. i hope that makes sense. if someone had a k-member they thought would work, but didnt then hellion would still sellthe k-member to that customer at the original deleted price.

yes if the k-member was previously installed it would be easier to install the kit. you do not have to then reremove the k-member if it is already installed.

Nate

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
HellionCobra said:
you can buy the stuff from mm or a mm dealer, but you cannot just buy the mm stuff from hellion unless you buy the kit. i hope that makes sense. if someone had a k-member they thought would work, but didnt then hellion would still sellthe k-member to that customer at the original deleted price.

yes if the k-member was previously installed it would be easier to install the kit. you do not have to then reremove the k-member if it is already installed.

Nate

OK. So I can call MM and get the hellion version of the K member from them, before I get the turbo kit. That is good news.

TRBO VNM

LargeOrangeFont said:
OK. So I can call MM and get the hellion version of the K member from them, before I get the turbo kit. That is good news.

yes you can, but the Hellion customers are getting first dibs right now and those orders are being filled first. I am trying to change my granatelli to this kmember and need to wait for other orders to be filled first.

MM is in the process of making a bunch of the hellion K's as we speak, so they should be available soon enough. the part number from MM is MK-3

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
yes you can, but the Hellion customers are getting first dibs right now and those orders are being filled first. I am trying to change my granatelli to this kmember and need to wait for other orders to be filled first.

MM is in the process of making a bunch of the hellion K's as we speak, so they should be available soon enough. the part number from MM is MK-3

Yea I have a GMS K sitting in the garage. I was going to mod it for the Hellion kit. I would rather have the MM piece.

Users who are viewing this thread