Budget Boost Build Thread

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
After running Nitrous for the past year and a half, I have come to the conclusion that Street Outlaws make it look way more sexy than it really is. Turning the bottle on/off, swapping tunes and refilling bottles got old quick. Honestly, the kit was only added to keep the local Vette's humble. But unless I drove around with the kit on, it really didn't change much. So at that point, I decided it was time to go FI.

42fe30c7-1480-46a2-ad8f-6f6dda8785b0_zpskcietfzn.jpg

Nitrous Kit:
20140719_113853_zpsebzspmbg.jpg

20140719_113554_zpselrhul9t.jpg

After going through the same dilemma as most of you (which type/brand/blah), I decided I wanted to go with a Centri Setup. I went with a centri because I wanted a linear powerband that kept the car tame for my daily commute to work. I also do HPDE events in which allows the Centri's to run in their ideal rpm range.

So here's where it gets good. Because a lot of you are ditching your current centri setups for turbos, the market has become saturated with kits for sale. Therefore these kits are going for close to 40% of what they are new. During this time, I managed to come across a NEW Black Vortech V3 Tuner kit posted in the market place for $3500 (Thanks Dannydr44).

20160104_150435_zpsyn2ntfkr.jpg

20160104_211754_zpsipi0pgim.jpg

I was also able to find a new set of ID1000's that I picked up from TVS VERT for $800.

20160104_211317_zps1qczfdtg.jpg

I then reached out to JLT Performance because I wanted to convert my CAI to their Centri CAI. They sold me the parts I needed for $78.

Next I stumbled across a company called Boundary Pumps. They are new to the Coyote platform but produce Oil Pump Gears for previous generation Mustangs as well as imports. After researching the current suppliers of OPG's, comparing them to Boundary and speaking with the owner, I ordered a set. Best part... they sell for $200.
http://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-v8-cayote-1/

20160125_095313_zps5fmyhkyt.jpg

20160125_101112_zpswhpsbdua.jpg

All said and done, this 600+ hp setup cost me $4591.60. All new parts, bought right here from our members (All of you were great to do business with!).

And now the build portion:

Front end of the motor is off to replace the OPG's.

IMG_8110_zpslujxhfjy.jpg

New OPG's installed.

IMG_3037_zpsalvjggzt.jpg

Blower Mounted:

IMG_3079_zpsleojiyq9.jpg

Now for those of you looking to combine Nitrous with a Centri...
Here's the issue, the Vortech spacer that mounts behind the throttle body is about 1in thick, the Nitrous Outlet Plate is .5in thick. Stacking them causes the throttle body to hit the blower and aside from that, there isn't any room for the solenoids mounted on the plate kit bracket.

IMG_3081_zps9jzjfnqc.jpg

IMG_3083_zpswy6xvkt0.jpg

So we decided the best solution is to convert the plate kit to a single nozzle. The plan is to drill and tap the Vortech spacer and run one of Nitrous Outlet's extended reach wet nozzle. We still have to relocate the solenoids, so I will post pics when we get that setup.

Nitrous Parts have arrived!

20160213_125752_zpsm48vipqa.jpg

Car is done!

20160220_103754_zpsjydnlf4n.jpg

20160220_103534_zpsqd1norcj.jpg

DYNO VIDEO: (No nitrous, other mods in signature.)
http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/focituner2/The Mustnag/20160220_112721_zps4ibxyte7.mp4

2014_Vortech%20Dyno_zpscxqnsdtl.png

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
superchargers cost more up front but you always have the power and it doesn't run out like a bottle. I have been running superchargers for 20 years on numerous cars. You will love it!

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Smart man. I've done something similar with mine(buying mostly used parts). Are you going to run the stock pulley? I have my boundary opg going in this weekend.

Hodor

Established Member
Nice! I just bought a new, unused Vortech kit from another forum member also for a great price. I have the JLT CAI for my current N/A setup also, so I may have to contact them about the conversion as well. What parts were needed to convert?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips and tricks to help with my install this spring. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Last edited:

11redGT/CS

Established Member
You'll see how easy it adds up I budgeted 5k for mine and I'm well over that but you are right kits are cheap and pop up often just got to keep an eye out!

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
Nice! I just bought a new, unused Vortech kit from another forum member also for a great price. I have the JLT CAI for my current N/A setup also, so I may have to contact them about the conversion as well. What parts were needed to convert?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips and tricks to help with my install this spring. Looking forward to watching your progress!

It's basically the MAF tube and silicone couplers.
JLT Invoice.PNG

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
What BAP are you using ? Also who is tuning it

The kit is being installed and dyno tuned by Mike Post of DynotuneMP. He is a Top Tier installer for Vortech. Since I'm running ID1000's, stock pulley and dyno tuning the car, we decided to hold off and let the data dictate whether or not I need a BAP.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Smart move.

V3 is a sick ass little blower.

I think you'll love it.

Dtony went deep 9s at over 140 on the v3.

What's not to love?

DaBigBone

Established Member
Very nice! Curious to see if you need a BAP with the stock pulley or not. Might be going the same route soon.

KPatrone

Established Member
The kit is being installed and dyno tuned by Mike Post of DynotuneMP. He is a Top Tier installer for Vortech. Since I'm running ID1000's, stock pulley and dyno tuning the car, we decided to hold off and let the data dictate whether or not I need a BAP.

Ive had my car on Mike's dyno before. He's a good guy. Hit me up when its done, I'd love to go cruise around with another boosted coyote!

rollin308

Established Member
Great thread. I juust ordered a paxton tuner kit from team beefcake and id 1000s. I also talked to the owner of boundary pumps and will be ordering my set as well. Im up in the air about the bap. Keep us updated

Users who are viewing this thread