Bryan: NXT on DSG?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Bryan (and everyone else), what do you think about NXT on DSG. I'm a Zaino user but I'm willing to try NXT. And should I get the spray or wax? And how do I strip the Zaino? I'm not an experienced detailer or anything. I have some swirls on the car as well. Also, Bryan, how much would you take to travel to Columbia, MO and detail the car?

Juiced-03

Established Member
I just wrote a HUGE review for you,,,,and it got deleted because my laptop battery died!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I am detailing my car today, so when I am finished I am going to write another one for you on my desktop. Probably on my break so check back :)

Bryan

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Bryan, thanks a lot. Sorry for the trouble I put you through. I really appreciate your efforts to enlighten me and everyone else on this board. Also, don't forget to let me know what your rates are for travelling over here to detail this car, if you do at all.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I used NXT on my DSG and it looks great. I have a few pics but none of them turned out really good beacuse of the lightning. I put 2 coats on, but im not even sure if there is any point to using more then 1 coat of this product.

Image1.jpg

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
The spray wax is only a booster to help replenish an existing coat of the NXT. A foundation of NXT should be applied first.

NXT works really well on Redfire...

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ok sorry for the delay!

That is quite a compliment for you asking me to detail your car. You're not the first to ask me though LOL!!! I enjoy detailing and I do believe I am very good at what I do. My business over the years has been purely word of mouth and that keeps me more than busy. It pays the bills while I attend college (sorry my back wont last forever with detailing lol).

Since you are already using Zaino, it's going to be hard for me to say whether or not NXT would be a better product for you. I have never been totally impressed with Zaino because the shine is too "saran wrap" like for me. Luckily for me I am not alone in this belief. Zaino does have one of the longest durability periods I have ever seen in a polish though. You could go 6 months on a coat of Z2 and it would still bead water. That is not something you would typically see from a Meguiars product. NXT is still a relatively new product on the market, so durability is still to be determined. So far so good on my neighbors F150, water still sheets off nice. The one thing I like alot about NXT is the slickness. The paint is buttery smooth after a coat and gets better as the hours pass. But it does lose its slickness after a few washes which makes me worried about the durability. I wouldnt expect NXT to last more than about 2-3 months. So you have to ask yourself, do you mind detailing more often, or would you rather make it a twice a year thing?

I havnt done any side by side testing of Zaino and NXT yet, but I have noticed that NXT gives a much wetter and warmer look than Zaino. Though NXT does lack a bit of deepness. Zaino has always lacked in the wetness department though it does have a nice reflective shine. If you want to give NXT a try, I HIGHLY recommend you purchase some S100 (at any Harley Davidson shop) or Meguiars paste wax to use as a topper coat. NXT is good by itself, but even better when topped with a carnuaba. It really brings out the metallics in lighter colored cars and provides more protection with a deeper shine. S100 is very reflective but not as wet as say Clearkote's Carnauba Moose Wax.

NXT is usually about $13, and a jar of carnauba is about $10 so that is still cheaper than Zaino. Plus there is no waiting time in between coats with NXT like Zaino (though I see no reason to need more than one coat of NXT in my opinion). And you can remove NXT as soon as you apply it, which makes quick Friday night polish jobs easier. I think NXT and a carnauba topper would look real nice on your DSG Cobra. If I were to detail your car, I would probably start out with a clay wash then buff with Meguiars Swirl Free Polish (if swirls are a problem). Then I would either put on a coat of NXT or Poorboy's EX-P Sealant (I love this stuff!!) then top with S100 Wax or Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax. That is generally the combo I use for pewters and grey metallics. I just detailed my car today with the Poorboy's EX-P Sealant and S100 Wax and it looks amazing to say the least. I am going to post pics later tonight. If you want a wetter look, use Carnauba Moose wax instead of S100 (S100 is VERY reflective though!).

You have probably read all the craze about the Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Carnauba Moose wax. That is still my favorite combo but I am always trying new variations. :D If your car was black or red I would recommend the Clearkote combo, but I think NXT or EX-P Sealant topped with S100 or Carnauba Moose would be a better choice (as opposed to the Vanilla Moose).

Check out http://www.specialtymotoring.com if you are interested in Poorboys or Clearkote products (he is an authorized vendor on the boards and a VERY good guy to do business with).

I hope I didnt confuse you too much. I enjoy helping people pick combos for their cars, so feel free to ask questions. I prefer people to ask questions as a post instead of a PM though simply so others can read it as well. You would be surprised how many PM's I receive in a day about what to use on certain colors!! I try to reply to most of them but it's hard for me to keep track of them all.

Good luck, and I hope this helps a little!

Last edited:

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Thanks a lot Bryan. I really appreciate all your help a lot. Sorry to put you through the trouble of typing all this. It's all very helpfull, though. Thanks again.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
juiced 03.. the deal is i can't find the NXT stuff anywhere. Where can i find it online.
This will be my shopping list since my car is DSG:
Claybar (already have that)
NXT
EX-p sealant
And clearkote carnauba moose wax.

AM i missing anything? thanks.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by jmir018
juiced 03.. the deal is i can't find the NXT stuff anywhere. Where can i find it online.
This will be my shopping list since my car is DSG:
Claybar (already have that)
NXT
EX-p sealant
And clearkote carnauba moose wax.

AM i missing anything? thanks.

Here's the complete line:
http://www.autogeek.net/menxtge.html

TRBO VNM

Juiced,

I just boughta bottle of the NXT, but haven't used it yet. I was planning on detailing my car in a couple of weeks. I do have some minor scratches I want to try and get out and was informed to try the blue coral stuff. I was going to buy that this weekend.

What would you recommend for the redfire with a wax and topper or do I need a topper? I am new to "high" quality detailing...I usually just use a wax and thats it.

it looks like I want something that contains no silicones which am not sure about the NXT, it doesn't say anything on the bottle. Hell, I don't know. I have a good idea, but always like to hear what others are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread