Brown Widow spider

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have been on a brown widow killing spree lately to the point where I've left my spray bottle out in my screened in porch. I would just go out in the morning and look for movement, and then spray every thing I saw. I've killed probably ten large widow spiders and I don't know how many more smaller spiders of whatever kind. I've been waiting to get mulch and a new grass put down in my back yard before I cleaned out my patio and I ended up with an infestation.
So, one of my plants had some dead leaves hanging and I grabbed up my scissors to get rid of them. While I'm pruning I notice two leaves stuck together. I don't think anything of it, I'm used to pulling leaves apart and seeing a caterpillar. I pull the two leaves apart and a brown widow come running out and gets within two inches of my hand before I jump backwards. Bitch almost got me!
That pretty much was the last straw. I sprayed that bitch and watched her crawl back up into the plant. I start pulling every thing out of the patio. In this process I figure out how to tell you have a nasty ass big ****ing spider up inside your furniture. Spider shit! I'm pulling out sofa pads, and killing smaller ones off the back pads(that shit was creepy, I sit out there all the time) and notice white drops on the floor -

20140824_113431_zpsygyeosz5.jpg

After I pull one part of the sofa out, I find the spider -

2014-08-24_11-42-18_HDR_zpsr10wjhmo.jpg

32fa6e7f-b5a5-47f6-8585-8e6bb0b61057_zps6aa9a8d7.jpg

So I spray it, and she flips the **** out. She's trying to make her way off, but the chemical death is having an effect. I used the quarter for scale -

20140824_114905_zps9bxghxlm.jpg

I found four more almost as big as that one. I got everything out of the patio, hooked up a hose end sprayer and soaked everything down with Permethrin. I hope that got them all. Tomorrow I have to rinse everything off and move it all back in.
So if you happen to be looking around in your patio or garage and see a bunch of white drops and insect carcasses, don't think to yourself 'how the **** did a bird get in here?' Look for spiders.

ThomasL

Established Member
I recently moved from the comforts of city living in Tampa to the country and back roads of central Florida. Spiders out here the size of my ****ing face. I spray any and everything that moves as well. I show no mercy.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I recently moved from the comforts of city living in Tampa to the country and back roads of central Florida. Spiders out here the size of my ****ing face. I spray any and everything that moves as well. I show no mercy.

I was living in DeLand...sort of the middle of nowhere but only 20 minutes to Daytona and 30 minutes to Orlando, and during the winter I would see spiders that needed to be on a leash they were so large. Good luck once the weather cools. LOL

ThomasL

Established Member
I was living in DeLand...sort of the middle of nowhere but only 20 minutes to Daytona and 30 minutes to Orlando, and during the winter I would see spiders that needed to be on a leash they were so large. Good luck once the weather cools. LOL

Man don't tell me that lol. Yeah i'm in Ocala so not far from you. Spiders spin webs on trees on opposite sides of the road and you have to drive thru the web....

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I condone your bravery and efforts of ridding the world of those evil monsters you call "brown recluse spiders" with near hand-to-hand combat, but, you sir, need to set fire to that immediately.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I wanted to do fire, but I didn't want to burn up my furniture. I think I've set them back pretty bad. I drenched the inside of the patio with permethrin and let it soak for an hour or so. Then I went back out and washed it all out, getting creeped out everytime I found another web. I wouldn't even touch the dead spiders, I used my tire brush to get them out of the corners. Now the interior is spotless! I also soaked all the furniture down, plants down, and pretty much anything else that was in there except the outdoor carpet. I'm going to wash it all down today when I get home and leave it out another day. I gotta check it all for new webs before I bring it back in. I sprayed everything until I ran out of chemical. Here's all my shit outside ready to bake in the sun today-

20140825_075752_zpslyi4brik.jpg

Normally spiders don't bother me so much, I'm good with them because they keep the insect population at bay. But, when you can bite with neurotoxic venom and basically take over my patio we have to be at odds. My wife said 'if they are leaving a pile of poop on the ground they are way too comfortable.' I should have taken a picture of the first one that got my attention to the whole thing. This bitch lived under my beer table, where I rested my elbow. The table top is a thick grate so I have no idea how I didn't notice the web. After I killed the spider out of the web down by the floor I flipped the table over and the funnel was at least 6 inches long and had four egg balls. Imagine if those ****ers had gotten loose! I should have taken a picture of that but I was so creeped out I took it out to the driveway I washed it all out with a hose so I could stomp the egg sacks.

Here's the link to the brown widow wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

STANGMAN93

Established Member
See that red shape on the spiders booty? That is a Black Widow spider, either young and still light colored or about to shed it's skin. Brown widows are harmless, that one can cause painfull bits and sever allergic reactions in some people.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
See that red shape on the spiders booty? That is a Black Widow spider, either young and still light colored or about to shed it's skin. Brown widows are harmless, that one can cause painfull bits and sever allergic reactions in some people.

Browns have the same shape on their "booty" lol but they are more or less harmless aside from allergic reactions

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I would have already packed my shit and ran, spiders scare the **** out of me.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
As a child I was chasing my friend through a pine grove. His mouth was open as he laughed. He didn't see the massive spider in the center of it's web. He inhaled the spider to the back of his throat. Out came the spider, pieces at a time, legs, abdomen, web covered his face. He cried through his puke.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Thanks about the back yard, it's been coming along slowly but surely. I think I'm pretty much done now. Almost nothing you see in the picture except the big red oak was there when I moved in almost 10 years ago. That includes the patio and the pool. I got tired of fighting the shade and replaced the centipede grass with zoysia last week.
When I got home this afternoon I was flipping the chairs over and sweeping out the webs from underneath when I found the last one. I think she must have been hiding in the chair when I sprayed it down. She really didn't move, even when I soaked her down with permethrin again. The rest of them tripped out as soon I got any chemical on them. I think the legs go dark as they die.

20140825_164207_zpsgm3kv7wb.gif

Hopefully that's the last one, I'm ready to reclaim my beer drinking spot. It's like getting back in the water after a shark circles you. You just gotta do it and get control of your mind. My understanding is they do have venom, but it doesn't spread like a black widow's bite. It just stays localized so it's not as severe. Those things creep me the **** out.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Thanks about the back yard, it's been coming along slowly but surely. I think I'm pretty much done now. Almost nothing you see in the picture except the big red oak was there when I moved in almost 10 years ago. That includes the patio and the pool. I got tired of fighting the shade and replaced the centipede grass with zoysia last week.
When I got home this afternoon I was flipping the chairs over and sweeping out the webs from underneath when I found the last one. I think she must have been hiding in the chair when I sprayed it down. She really didn't move, even when I soaked her down with permethrin again. The rest of them tripped out as soon I got any chemical on them. I think the legs go dark as they die.

20140825_164207_zpsgm3kv7wb.gif

Hopefully that's the last one, I'm ready to reclaim my beer drinking spot. It's like getting back in the water after a shark circles you. You just gotta do it and get control of your mind. My understanding is they do have venom, but it doesn't spread like a black widow's bite. It just stays localized so it's not as severe. Those things creep me the **** out.

son of a ...... I'm freaking out just looking at that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread