Bronco,Expedition and Cherokee Owners Past/Present.

ModularFan

Established Member
If anyone owns or owned any of these vehicles step in. I've been looking to get a Daily Driver for sometime and Ive been wanting an suv, for winter months etc. I can't rely on my parents to drive me to and from school or work when it snows etc, and I can't always take off either.

The Vehicle I have now won't do justice in the snow or inclement weather for that matter. Plus I plan to do firefighting and I need a vehicle where I can get to the fire house no problem during inclement weather.

Iam specifically looking at the later 90's Bronco's and 97-02 Expeditions, and 80's Cherokee's. so if anyone has experience with these vehicles and can give me some insight that be awesome. what are some of the pros and cons of each vehicle. If I do get a cherokee I prefer a 5 speed.

Last edited:

ESVEETEE

Established Member
As far as a bronco... I've had one with the 351W... If it had been used to tow often... the transmission is probably on its last leg by now. Mine needed an engine rebuild around 135k miles because the bearings were worn out. The transmission all but poured transmission fluid (filled it up every time I drove it..... which wasn't much thanks to the 10-14 mpg you can enjoy), and began slipping majorly.

I think you'd be better off with a Cherokee, the 4.0 is indestructible. The 302 would be easier on transmissions if not abused, but the windsor motors usually start going south in the 150-200k range, and it's unlikely to find one that doesn't have high mileage. This might be an option if it has been rebuilt.

Expedition... similar to the bronco, but you've got the option of the 4.6 or the 5.4... one is extremely gutless for a vehicle that size, and the other is a major gas hog. I know this to be the case for the years you're looking at (97ish), but I don't know about newer ones and I imagine they're out of your price range.

ModularFan

Established Member
As far as a bronco... I've had one with the 351W... If it had been used to tow often... the transmission is probably on its last leg by now. Mine needed an engine rebuild around 135k miles because the bearings were worn out. The transmission all but poured transmission fluid (filled it up every time I drove it..... which wasn't much thanks to the 10-14 mpg you can enjoy), and began slipping majorly.

I think you'd be better off with a Cherokee, the 4.0 is indestructible. The 302 would be easier on transmissions if not abused, but the windsor motors usually start going south in the 150-200k range, and it's unlikely to find one that doesn't have high mileage. This might be an option if it has been rebuilt.

Expedition... similar to the bronco, but you've got the option of the 4.6 or the 5.4... one is extremely gutless for a vehicle that size, and the other is a major gas hog. I know this to be the case for the years you're looking at (97ish), but I don't know about newer ones and I imagine they're out of your price range.

I mean I just don't want payments, Iam just going to throw liability on it. I don't want to spend a hell of alot. I want to eventually get a cobra or gt500 down the road, so I don't want to kill my bank account on a suv if I don't have to.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I had a '94 5.0 Bronco, never had any engine issues and at 180+ thousand miles still ran perfect, needed a lot of front end work and rot, which is a common problem with the Bronco's so I decided to part with it rather than dump a lot of money into it.
Also had an '01 5.4 Expedition that never really had any major problems at around 140k miles, until my wife totaled it. :bash: Better in the snow than the Bronco.

ModularFan

Established Member
I had a '94 5.0 Bronco, never had any engine issues and at 180+ thousand miles still ran perfect, needed a lot of front end work and rot, which is a common problem with the Bronco's so I decided to part with it rather than dump a lot of money into it.
Also had an '01 5.4 Expedition that never really had any major problems at around 140k miles, until my wife totaled it. :bash: Better in the snow than the Bronco.

Thanks man. If I were to get the expy id the 5.4L, mainly due the reason I could do the H/L swap fairly easily for a little more then a grand.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
My dad has had a few Broncos and he liked them much more then any expedition or explorer we ever had.

As a matter of fact he is wanting another Bronco haha

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
I had a 96 Eddie Bauer Bronco 4X4 with the 351W . I loved that damn truck and wish I still had it to this day . The only darawback was access to the rear . you had to swing out the spare tire holder then swing out the rear hatch , a little time consuming if you had to grab your gear and go .

ModularFan

Established Member
I had a 96 Eddie Bauer Bronco 4X4 with the 351W . I loved that damn truck and wish I still had it to this day . The only darawback was access to the rear . you had to swing out the spare tire holder then swing out the rear hatch , a little time consuming if you had to grab your gear and go .

They Make them without the tire rack, from what I've seen on FSB.com How is it in the snow. I plan to put bigger tires on it, and maybe a slight lift and tint.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I DD a '96 Bronco. Equiped with a 5.8, it is a neat vehicle to own. But... most Broncos are going to be rusting away and high mileage. They are notoriously poor for fuel economy. If you are not towing, I would reccomend a Ford Explorer. The 4.0 with 5 speed auto runs well, gets reasonable mileage, seems to have great longevity, and can be had cheap enough.

Jim

ModularFan

Established Member
I DD a '96 Bronco. Equiped with a 5.8, it is a neat vehicle to own. But... most Broncos are going to be rusting away and high mileage. They are notoriously poor for fuel economy. If you are not towing, I would reccomend a Ford Explorer. The 4.0 with 5 speed auto runs well, gets reasonable mileage, seems to have great longevity, and can be had cheap enough.

Jim

I've been finding some in reasonable condition for under 5G. Even If it did start to rust, I can eventually get it painted. when you say poor gas miledge you talking 8-10MPG?

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I've been finding some in reasonable condition for under 5G. Even If it did start to rust, I can eventually get it painted. when you say poor gas miledge you talking 8-10MPG?

10-11 in mixed driving. Maybe 14 on the highway if careful.My Explorer could get 20 on the highway and 17 in mixed use.

Jim

fiveohhhstang

Established Member

If you want a dd so you can save money for a Cobra or GT500 I wouldn't worry about having anything painted. Don't put any more money into it than you have to if that is your plan.

ModularFan

Established Member
If you want a dd so you can save money for a Cobra or GT500 I wouldn't worry about having anything painted. Don't put any more money into it than you have to if that is your plan.

that's a valid point. My whole idea was to save up as much as I can in a year and either buyout an 03-04 Cobra or Just have a nice DP for a GT500 and only have a 2-300 dollar a month car payment.

At least If I got a DD SUV it wouldn't set me back too much hopefully.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
that's a valid point. My whole idea was to save up as much as I can in a year and either buyout an 03-04 Cobra or Just have a nice DP for a GT500 and only have a 2-300 dollar a month car payment.

At least If I got a DD SUV it wouldn't set me back too much hopefully.

Buy whatever is the cheapest on gas and insurance and will do what you need it to do. Like others have said, exploders are decent on gas and will get you wherever you need to go in the snow.

If I can give you a little advice, albeit unwarranted, I would buy the 03-04 Cobra if I were you. The insurance will be a bit cheaper for you than it would be on a GT 500 since you are under 25. You would be able to enjoy it more since, from your plan, you wouldn't be making payments on it.

ModularFan

Established Member
Buy whatever is the cheapest on gas and insurance and will do what you need it to do. Like others have said, exploders are decent on gas and will get you wherever you need to go in the snow.

If I can give you a little advice, albeit unwarranted, I would buy the 03-04 Cobra if I were you. The insurance will be a bit cheaper for you than it would be on a GT 500 since you are under 25. You would be able to enjoy it more since, from your plan, you wouldn't be making payments on it.

For Once I will agree with you on something. :lol: On a serious note I quoted myself not to long ago and it's gonna be 450 a month for a 6 months, that's close to 5400 a year on insurance.

boatcop1

Established Member
I had a 01 Expy EB 5.4, Truck was a frigging beast. I put a cold air kit and Flowmaster cat back on it with bigger BFG A/T's while i lived in Alaska for 3 years and let me tell you i never got stuck, towed campers through the mountains and trailered 6 ATV's off road with it.

An absolutely fabulous pig of a truck when it came to the gas pump. I was routinely seeing 9-12 mpg thus forcing the sale but i still miss it.

Stay away from the Air ride susp if you go Expy.

Stay away from the auto 4wd option if you go Expy (2000 only i believe)

A pic of the beast after cruising up to Alaska (pre mods)
100_1066.jpg

crabfest07098.jpg

I vote Expy if your cool with the gas mileage, You get alot more power and refinements than the other two listed.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
For Once I will agree with you on something. :lol: On a serious note I quoted myself not to long ago and it's gonna be 450 a month for a 6 months, that's close to 5400 a year on insurance.

For a Cobra or a GT 500?

Users who are viewing this thread