BROKEN Positive Battery terminal connector..

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
So due to heavy corrosion on the positive side + my neglect I believe a piece of my Positive Terminal clamp is broken..

The only way the terminal/clamp will make good enough connection (in order to start) is if I clamp down the positive connector with a "Vise Grip Pliers". If I cant buy the little broken piece somewhere is there a fix to this ASIDE from buying a whole new battery cable for $150+??

Lets get innovative SVTP!

Front.JPG

TOP.JPG

IMG_8087.JPG

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Damn seems like you are always having issues. New bolt and a square nut (same size as the wedge) and reuse the wedge. Make sure you get the right size bolt, too long and it will damage the battery.

IDK why you have so much corrosion. My terminals literally look brand new.

Last edited:

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Damn seems like you are always having issues. New bolt and a square nut (same size as the wedge) and reuse the wedge. Make sure you get the right size bolt, too long and it will damage the battery.

IDK why you have so much corrosion. My terminals literally look brand new.

I'm not sure how that would "close the gap" and tighten the terminal though? Can you send a photo of yours?

TOP.JPG

Car was out of commission for some time. I have been repairing (mostly the electronics) since it had an accident.
*I'll post a huge post and video once the project is complete* but for now i'm working on this thing..

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
As you tighten down the wedge will push out and tighten the terminal by pulling the tab with the hole. I will try to find a pic on the internet.

*EDIT* Ok I found a picture on google images, not my car. credit goes to "stangheat" on allfordmustangs forum.

149449d1329598782-battery-post-failure-battery_failure.jpg

You need to add a square nut on the bottom, it needs to sit in the pocket on the bottom wedge. I don't want to add arrows on someone elses picture. If i'm not explaining it well I will take a picture tomorrow for you, if you need me to.

The bolt will now be facing down not up. Keep in mind with the bolt now facing down you need to make sure you don't damage the battery by driving the bolt into the top cover.

You also might be able to use a carriage bolt with the head ground down to the retainer/ square step.

Ford will not sale their bolt/wedge setup and a positive cable costs around $140.

Good luck, I look forward to the project write up.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
Just drill a hole straight through the back of the terminal and use a nut, bolt, and a couple washers.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Do it right and buy a new cable or terminal. What is all that condensation on some of the pics? Also, the blue material, along with the post damage, is not good. You broke your battery, as there are visible holes beneath positive post. The "corrosion" damage may be due to heat damage from a short circuit, and not actual corrosion.

I am starting to think that you put the wrong terminals on the wrong posts, and tried to beat everything into place.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
That's a negative. Not worth the $140.

Off by about a mile and a half. I thank you for your creative and helpful insight.

Oh ya, that totally looks like a completely serviceable battery post (LMAO). What do I know? Ive only been turning wrenches for Green Berets and SEALs for 7 years. You messed up your equipment.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
looks like your battery did the same shit as the one in my F150, I never once touched that terminal or battery and under the positive post the battery was all screwed up. Looks like you have a little of the zinc coating or whatever it left in spots, not heat damage

I do believe you can order that terminal above and take the bolts and blocks to work on yours.

I would suggest taking that terminal off the post and looking at the underside of it, mine had a substantial portion of the material eaten away and it would not have stayed together for real long.

As far as the harness, have you checked Tasca ford for their price? The F150 harness was listed at almost $300 and available for like 150-175 on Tasca.

My last advice would be, if they havent offered that terminal separately yet for the mustang, just do a search on Ford positive battery terminals and see if you can find a match from a different vehicle. I ended getting the terminal i needed from an Explorer sport.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have seen this, fortunately not on mine, but on my brothers 2012 Ecoboost F150 and a buddies 2014 GT...in my brothers case the ****ing battery was leaking....its goddamn ridiculous

EDIT: I don't think its a new problem for Ford either, had to replace the harness on my old mans 2007 Marquis years ago, positive terminal was ate up.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
looks like the battery is leaking , possibly cracked around the terminal. check the water in the cells and you can lose that blanket around the battery seeing as you live in the OC

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Thank you to everyone for chiming in and helping with this!! (Except for fapmaster2015 :rolling:)

"Slowb00st", you're awesome man! I bought bt4z-14450-aa at a local Ford dealer for $14 and took the square nut + screw that i needed.

After a tinny bit more cleaning with an old rag and adding some dielectric grease to the post here are my results:

1_zpstpqlwrzf.jpg

-Good terminal

2_zpsxy0j87mz.jpg

- Old corroded screw and block nut along with the new one taken from bt4z-14450-aa

3_zpscmbmbxu6.jpg

- Good to go with corrosion removed

4_zps6evjdork.jpg

- Firmly reinstalled with the new block nut and screw along with dielectric grease lathered on everywhere corrosion was once present.

Thanks again SVTP :beer:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Good deal but I'd check it frequently with how that battery post looked in the early picture.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
Good deal but I'd check it frequently with how that battery post looked in the early picture.

The reason there appeared to be "battery acid" in the earlier photos is because the battery was still wet from when I sprinkled baking soda and washed it off with water. I will for sure keep a close eye on it though!

Slowb00st

Established Member
Great to see you got it fixed on the cheap!

You can add my car to the list of corroded terminals, but mine was on the negative side. I think I got it on time, shame on you FORD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread