Broken down '16 Powerstroke...Friday 13th hard luck

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Fuel pump goes out right after filter change. I don't think that is coincidence. Something must have been restricting flow for the pump to fail.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I have a '17 platinum 6.7 powerstroke and my fuel pump went out at 10,000 miles. Wasn't very happy and I just had fuel squirting out of the fuel pressure sensor the other day which was replaced under warranty. Apparently these are common issues with them after it happened to me and I started doing research

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That CP4.2 pump certainly seems to have more issues than the CP3 pump used on the Cummins and older Duramax. Are the newer Chevys having the same failures?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Former Advisor here.

Had a guy from Colorado with a 6.7L have a low pressure warning light come on and had starting issues. Ended up being a bad FPR sensor. I put money on yours having an issue as well and caused the pump to overwork itself and die.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Things like this make me glad that I own a totally reliable and issue free 6.4.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

Seems like no matter what you do, owning a post-emissions diesel truck is a bad deal all around unless you buy new and trade the thing in every year or two.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Things like this make me glad that I own a totally reliable and issue free 6.4.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

Seems like no matter what you do, owning a post-emissions diesel truck is a bad deal all around unless you buy new and trade the thing in every year or two.

Let's all buy IDI 6.9s.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
As tempting as a new or new-ish warrantied 6.7 is, bulletproofed 6.0's still seem like the best option for a truck that will have some decent power, not guzzle fuel, and stand the test of time.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
As tempting as a new or new-ish warrantied 6.7 is, bulletproofed 6.0's still seem like the best option for a truck that will have some decent power, not guzzle fuel, and stand the test of time.

There's always old faithful, the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0's have a ton of issues people tend to overlook.

Cracked heads
lifted heads
high pressure oil system leaks
hpop failures
ficm failures
injector failures
vgt sticking
and the obvious egr stuff

I've seen quite a few "Bulletproofed" 6.0's still lift the heads and or crack them. I refuse to accept the term bulletproof when associated with a 6.0

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There's always old faithful, the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0's have a ton of issues people tend to overlook.

Cracked heads
lifted heads
high pressure oil system leaks
hpop failures
ficm failures
injector failures
vgt sticking
and the obvious egr stuff

I've seen quite a few "Bulletproofed" 6.0's still lift the heads and or crack them. I refuse to accept the term bulletproof when associated with a 6.0

The 7.3 isn't all its internet fame cracks it up to be. They have issues of their own, zero power, and drink fuel like there's no tomorrow. I'll take a studded and deleted 6.0 every day of the week over a 7.3.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
The 7.3 isn't all its internet fame cracks it up to be. They have issues of their own, zero power, and drink fuel like there's no tomorrow. I'll take a studded and deleted 6.0 every day of the week over a 7.3.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 0 power. It's pretty easy to make good power with a 7.3 truck but to each his own. I was a powerstroke tech for almost 10 years. .Worked on a ton of 7.3's, 6.4's, 6.0's and 6.7's and personally I would take a 7.3 all day over a 6.0.

Have you driven a turned up 7.3 lately? They're not all that hard to make 450/900 which is definitely competitive with most 6.0's

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't go so far as to say 0 power. It's pretty easy to make good power with a 7.3 truck but to each his own. I was a powerstroke tech for almost 10 years. .Worked on a ton of 7.3's, 6.4's, 6.0's and 6.7's and personally I would take a 7.3 all day over a 6.0.

Have you driven a turned up 7.3 lately? They're not all that hard to make 450/900 which is definitely competitive with most 6.0's

If I were to step down from my single turbo/tuned/deleted/cammed 6.4, it would feel like zero power. Lol. Even a decently tuned 6.0 would feel sluggish. The one thing the 15+ 6.7 has going for it is that is has some ass to it bone stock, and they're all still under warranty.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
If I were to step down from my single turbo/tuned/deleted/cammed 6.4, it would feel like zero power. Lol. Even a decently tuned 6.0 would feel sluggish. The one thing the 15+ 6.7 has going for it is that is has some ass to it bone stock, and they're all still under warranty.

This I agree with. The 6.4's and 6.7's are power monsters but come with all the issues too. I loved the 6.4 trucks but man are they expensive and a PITA to fix.

coposrv

Established Member

Yup. I've had powerstroke's for ten years and got rid of my last one two months ago. If I need to own another 1 ton I'm going to try the lease route and just replace it every couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Drive one and you’ll see. Especially with a trailer behind it.

I can say without a doubt this is bible speak. I dont have a 1 ton truck, only a Colorado with the Duramax, but Jesus is it a whole different animal. Cannot compare the 2 engines in the Colorado. The v6 has 100hp more and it feels like a dog.

Zemedici

Established Member
They may be strong but EVERYONE I know who has owned one has had endless problems with them!!o_O:(

That’s because they’re the mustangs of trucks

Everyone believes they can work on them when in reality majority of said people shouldn’t be near a wrench.

And hardly anyone knows what they’re talking about. @rotor_powerd anf @ibleedblue65 both know their shit from first hand experience with the trucks. And I’ve been working / selling ford parts for the better part of a decade

Users who are viewing this thread