Broken cam chain on 96 cobra

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Has anyone here ever had one of the cam drive chains break? I broke the small one that connects the two cams together on the drivers side head. Why would this happen? I think the little hydraulic tensioner is messed up? Next question Does anyone know the proper proceedure for setting the timming of the cams? I have new parts to install.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
it's rare, but it does happen.

The first thing I'd be concerned with is if your pistons hit the valves, or worse if you dropped valves. These are interference motors so it's a possability.

I'm sorry, unfortunately I can't help on setting the timing.

Nazman

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
I dont know about a cam chain breaking but me and NAZ both had our cam bolts fall out.
Bad memories!

gallery_12_147_1097314036.jpg

gallery_12_147_1097314690.jpg

gallery_12_147_1097314555.jpg

The valves will contact the pistons if the motor was running/have been turned and there will be o/a 16 bent valves.

Do a compresion check or pull the head.

Naz

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Well I put another chain on and reset the timing of the gears all without any speacial cam holders or timing line up tools and guess what ? It runs as good as it ever did! No bent valves or nothing. Was not the easiest thing I ever did but its done. Hardest part was getting the valve covers off and back on. There is a small window of timing where the intake cam is not opening any valves and that is where the cam was sitting when the chain broke. I even drove it with the chain off. for about 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread