Broke the Cobra worse than i thought

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
picard-facepalm.jpg

more like "time to learn how not to drive". "Wheel hop? **** it ill give it more gas, thatll teach those wheels to jump around!"

In the midst of a HORRIBLY shitty night, that made me bust out a laughing so hard lol

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Broke7 has gone high 9's low 10's on stock IRS. If you want to track the car more...Solid for sure if not just brace up the IRS.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
a brace isnt all you need. full tilt boogie racing front and rear diff bushings along with a brace is a better solution. The LPW cover you purchased is even better than that.

a friend did this to his diff cover while making a pull on the street. He said he was in 3rd gear and hadnt had any wheel hop in gears prior.
blowout.jpg

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
IRS brace FTW I haven't had a problem with the rear in mine yet. No need to swap to a solid rear unless you plan on taking it to the strip all of the time

TVSCobra

Established Member
Get the LPW cover and consider an iron IRS housing.

Also some FTBR diff bushing front and rear.

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Damn seeing that scares the hell out of me. Its been in the back of my head to upgrade all the irs stuff before ish hits the fan.

getleftcobra

CAN U READ DA PLATE!!!
Established Member
Here how I did mine: I bent the whole IRS frame also

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYg1euvOh0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]death of the stock rear end on 03 cobra - YouTube[/nomedia]

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Ford used the same IRS they had in the thunderbirds since mid 90's.

Its not very different from the IRS that came in the 99/01 models. There isnt anything "rushed" about it. SVT intended this car to TURN, not LAUNCH.

Its the drivers and additional power that end in tears. A simple $150 IRS brace would prevent this from happening, or lifting off the throttle which is free.

I bet that Vette was also running soft sidewall slicks, which helps absorb the shock of a launch and not transmit that shock into the next part like most tards do on here with DR's and wonder why their halfshafts bust off the line like twigs. Then you have guys in the know on stock IRS (maybe a diff brace), stock bushings, stock axles but slicks and NO issues whatsoever in the launch department. Hrm.......coincidence?

Just my point. They took the cheap route instead of designing a rearend that handles the power and abuse.

Also... a brace will do nothing more than keeping the rearend from grenading. Even with the best brace installed Ive still seen the casings crack. So nothing is definete on these rears.

...and yes... I was running 28" ET Drags. But many passes in street tires and drag radials before that. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread