Broke a halfshaft at Gateway

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
holy suck... buy a new pair...

I see the amazon ones mentioned...

I can see that your warranty does not exist...

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
His warranty is still good....not all dealerships are Nazis :)

Warranty? With all those mods?
You're kidding, right???? :nono:

03Steve

Established Member
Come on guys, halfshaft not warranty. Does anyone have the AR halfshafts? Who has swapped out a broken one?

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I broke a halfshaft, the only reason it was repaired under warranty is because some guys (read, the service mgr) owed my buddy a favor. He said the dealership would have to eat the part, as the mechanics actually had to hide the car in the used lot when the rep came to keep him from voiding my warranty. Good luck.

raptorman02

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I broke a halfshaft, the only reason it was repaired under warranty is because some guys (read, the service mgr) owed my buddy a favor. He said the dealership would have to eat the part, as the mechanics actually had to hide the car in the used lot when the rep came to keep him from voiding my warranty. Good luck.

Thats strange, I haven't heard of them sending a rep out to inspect a half shaft unless the dealer calls them in. If its a motor then heck yea they will be there before your car cools off but a halfshaft?? Take your car to a non SVT small town dealer and see what they can do, they can fix all that stuff also and might not really know what to look for.

venom279

Established Member
You might try a set of GKN stage 3 hardened halfshafts. That is what the 00 R's owners are using when the originals fail. Steve Davis at GKN can hook you up 1-800-458-4418. Not sure what they cost or how much installation would be.:beer:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Stock halfshafts are GKN. Whether they're Stage 3's or not I don't know.

As far as the AR halfshafts...they're taking orders for them now, but I don't think they've started shipping them yet.

Racerat just replaced hers a day or two ago, might try PM'ing her.

U.M.

elyrain

Established Member
The stock shafts are GNK's, but not nearly as strong as the stage 3 ones. Last I heard they were on back order. They are fairly easy to install, nothing out of the ordinary. Make sure you get a rear end alignment after you swap them out.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I got mine at The Driveshaft Shop
Sent my stock ones in, they replaced the axle bar and reassembled with new boots, etc. Customer service was outstanding and turn around time from them was less than a week! I went this route because at the time, Amazon said their new ones were 4-6 weeks out.
The install is pretty easy/straightforward.

New halfshafts
halfshaft1.jpg

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Why dont you think that your halfshaft would be covered under warranty. As someone said early in this thread "All dealers aren't nazi's" I snapped a half shaft and took it to me dealer. Had a new half shaft installed within a week. In addition to that since Ive owned my car Ive had 2 TOB's replaced, a whole new rear end, and recently a whole new transmission. No one gave me any problems at the dealer. They had the mechanic look at the car,ordered the parts and fix the car, NO questions asked. Just keep in mind it is important to treat you service guy real good! It works real well. Black03

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by black03
Why dont you think that your halfshaft would be covered under warranty.
Several reasons.
1. The stock halfshaft broke and I'm pretty sure I'd just keep breaking them.

2. My car isn't going anywhere near the dealer unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps you have a good relationship with yours and have competent techs to work on your car....that's fantastic. I don't like or trust the ones here.

3. My car is not stock. It broke because I'm putting down more torque than was intended. I knew the risks, I knew the part was going to fail and I knew I would be upgrading the parts eventually anyway.

Blades

Established Member
Originally posted by black03
They had the mechanic look at the car,ordered the parts and fix the car, NO questions asked. Just keep in mind it is important to treat you service guy real good! It works real well. Black03

dear god dude.. Ur damn lucky.. Did you have to give the service manager a port polish on his head for all that.. heh im jk. ur absolutely nuts..

Users who are viewing this thread