Bring a gun to a knife fight?! HELL NO!

Last

Established Member
A lot of times, someone who is armed with a firearm will simply say "If something happens, I'll just shoot them!"

What if the other person has a knife, and knows how to use it?

This is what a knife attack looks like:
(There is no gore or blood, its a training video)
[youtube_browser]4ah_0gia4A0[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]9igSoJHEdUo[/youtube_browser]

Maybe you shouldn't bring a gun to a knife fight.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If I come up to you from behind my ASP was will defeat your knife or gun!. I'll give you a frothy steel shampoo.

canibus

Established Member
there's a place nearby that teaches you self defense with knifes or how to use random items to your advantage. I've been considering signing up. It would be cool to know how to properly use one and defend against it.

cobra_mer

Established Member
The biggest advantage for the knife weilder IMO is from the scenario as he is controlling the situation. Everything is triggered off the knife wielders actions. You can be trained in every self defense/martial art known to man but if someone gets the drop on you and you hesitate, you are done for.

What self defense/martial arts give you is a reflexive response, that way in situations like these there is no hesitation. You do not have to think about it. Same can be said for any sport or any activity where muscle memory plays a role. It's your mind/thinking that is your biggest obstacle to over come.

Machdup1

Established Member
there's a place nearby that teaches you self defense with knifes or how to use random items to your advantage. I've been considering signing up. It would be cool to know how to properly use one and defend against it.

You could always join the Army or Marine Corps. They will pay you to learn how to fight, plus they give you stuff. It will be like you died and went to green and tan heaven.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
both.png

rra-mid-m9bayonet.jpg

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Tell you what. Ill take the glock, you take the knife if youre so confident lol. Stand 7-8 feet apart as in video. I guarantee you I walk out still breathing.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Shooting from the index would save you a lot of time. If you're trained and have an easily accessible firearm you should be able to get shots off from the 5 foot mark but you would probably still get wounded from the momentum of the other guy.

If you're in a standoff with another guy you should constantly be watching his hands and his mannerisms. You shouldn't be surprised that the guy pulled a knife because you should be looking for it and already have a plan depending on different actions he might take and how you are going to react to it.

And OP, just take the videos off your first post and post them a couple posts down, problem solved and ThePizz looks like an idiot.

Last edited:

cobra_mer

Established Member
Tell you what. Ill take the glock, you take the knife if youre so confident lol. Stand 7-8 feet apart as in video. I guarantee you I walk out still breathing.

What if I have the shooting blade knife like in CoD Black OPS?!? :banana: What then? :beer:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yup exactly right. One of my good friends is a LEO and he was talking about scenarios like this. The public as a whole seems to scream when somebody wielding a knife is shot, claiming they could have been disarmed etc.

I remember doing the same experiment with him. He placed he 20 paces away and told me to charge him like I was going to stab him while he had is pistol holstered.

Even backing away from me, I was very nearly close enough to have inflicted bodily harm before he had his weapon drawn and aimed on target.

kwkshift

Established Member

The odds are not in your favor. Plus, a knife attack is absolutely gruesome. At close ranges, knife>gun.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
The odds are not in your favor. Plus, a knife attack is absolutely gruesome. At close ranges, knife>gun.

^THIS. From 5 ft, your screwed. From 10 ft, your still probably screwed unless your EXTREMELY fast on the pull. If I was in a confrontation with 1-2 people up close, I would rather have a knife.

94venomV8

Established Member
Did anyone else think some of those officers were slow though? Also you have to think you arent going to stand in the same spot, so at 10 ft if you are moving back from pursuer you gained another couple seconds while drawing your weapon, then if you hip fire at the body of attacker (which is something I actually practice at the range with a target at 10ft after drawing) you will more then likely at least get a shot to slow him down and make him think twice. Not acting like I'm Seal Team 6 or anything just saying realistically in an open area as they were on the cement they didn't move at all which you would do in a normal situation.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Yeah, maybe if you're doing an 'ole Texas standoff and standing there ready to draw, but in a real life scenario you're up shit creek without a paddle. You're ignorant if you believe otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread