Brief Whipple 2.9 review...

rustang1

Established Member
There have been several questions about the 2.9 front feed lately so I figured I would give my experience with one so far.
I have probably 700-800 miles and about 20 1/8th runs total right now.

I purchased my kit from Lethal and Derek gave me a great price on the kit, plugs, and injectors.

I picked the tuner kit because I wanted to go ahead and get ID1000's for future upgrades and a Lund tune. I have the "stage II" pulley which is advertised at 9.5lb boost, and the elliptical TB. I see 10lb on my mechanical gauge. (when I can look at it lol)

The install took about 18hrs total doing it by myself. My wife helped me set the intake on the heads and the housing on the intake.
About 3-4 hours was spent trying to mount the heat exchanger. I flipped it both ways and the mounting brackets both ways several times and I just couldn't get things to line up correctly.
I kinda feel silly for taking so long to realize that the inlets/outlets were different sizes but they were. I thought they had sent the wrong size hoses but after I called whipple it was discovered that they sent me the wrong HE.
Whipple apologized for the mistake and sent me the correct one overnight and included a return label for the incorrect one.

Installing the correct HE took about 30 minutes, so you could knock off 3 hours of install time. I also spent a lot of time on the re-pinning for the IAT sensor. It was hard to get to and I was super paranoid about screwing up any wiring. Many people have done the re-pinning in a few minutes but I spent over an hour messing with that.
Other than that, install was pretty straight forward and not difficult at all.

My combo is stock motor-trans-rear gear, catless xpipe. GT500 axle backs, 93 octane tune from Lund, 10lb boost, 285/40/18 MT ET SS radials. I have the D55 springs in back and the front sway bar removed.
Race weight is 3900lbs.

In 1500 DA my best times were 6.95 and 6.97 at 103mph in the 1/8th.
60ft was 1.68 and 1.70.
The only 1/4 track is a couple hours away and I haven't had a chance to get down there. I'm really curious to see what 1/4 times will be. It really pulls on top end.

I just installed a Circle D 3c converter last week and made a trip to the track Sat. Looks like hooking is going to be a problem now.
I made two nearly identical runs with a 1.56 60ft and 6.86 ET but it shifted 1-2 at 5800-6000 rpm.
I have to get some logs to get that fixed but there is just no way to get any hits on the street without spinning even without the converter.

I'm pretty sure I can get some 1.4 60ft's. Getting the 1-2 shift back to 7200 should pick up another tenth.
The 1000-1500DA is pretty much done until fall. It's going to be 1800-2500+ for a while.

*An interesting factoid. Before the converter install, I was running 7.13-7.17 times at 100-101 mph. I made about 7-8 runs on two different nights.
I installed the GT500 mufflers and the next week ran 6.99-7.00 at 102-103 mph at the same 1500DA and same 60ft as the week before with the stock axle backs.
I don't know if the stock mufflers were stopped up or that's just the difference GT500's make. Stocks had 47000 miles on them.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Very awesome, glad you are happy with the kit (minus the little hiccups). The car is moving for sure, those 1/8th times are going to be deep in the 10's in the 1/4 at over 130 mph in the current weather conditions.

I'm thinking about going the 2.9 route myself, our old 2015 hauled ass, the GT350 is making big power and it's running very well on your car too. It's either that or a little NA set up with a GT350 manifold.

Anyways, great runs! Post some photos or videos if you have any!

jn2

Established Member
Very Nice! I have been thinking about getting the 2.9L front feed. I really like the look of it, just hard to find a actual parts list of what is included with the tuner kit since this would be going on my 13'.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Had one on the dyno for tuning a few weeks back, made 712RWHP SAE with the 3.75" pulley on pump gas on a stock Boss with H-pipe only. E85 power on pump gas...insane blower.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Thanks for the review as there not many running this blower yet.. I recently picked up a boss Ls and this blower has my attention out of them all.. Was there any cutting or modifications done to the bumper or engine etc.... that's the biggest issues with the other kits. I'm not looking to cut anything. Also have you noticed any heat soak issues?

jn2

Established Member
Had one on the dyno for tuning a few weeks back, made 712RWHP SAE with the 3.75" pulley on pump gas on a stock Boss with H-pipe only. E85 power on pump gas...insane blower.

Nice numbers. Did you keep the GT strategy or go with the Roush?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Very Nice! I have been thinking about getting the 2.9L front feed. I really like the look of it, just hard to find a actual parts list of what is included with the tuner kit since this would be going on my 13'.

Tuner kits come complete minus fuel system parts and a tune. It's the basic components to install the kit on the car.

Thanks for the review as there not many running this blower yet.. I recently picked up a boss Ls and this blower has my attention out of them all.. Was there any cutting or modifications done to the bumper or engine etc.... that's the biggest issues with the other kits. I'm not looking to cut anything. Also have you noticed any heat soak issues?

The front feed kits do not require any cutting or trimming of engine parts like the other kits. The only real mod is some re-pinning some sensors, everything else is pretty much bolt on.

rustang1

Established Member
what were times before the install?

Depending on DA and track conditions mostly 7.95-8.05 at 91-93mph.

Best was 7.83 at 300 DA and good track last fall. That was with tune, offroad xpipe, no swaybar and 555R's.

The only "cutting" is drilling two holes for the HE hoses.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Yes pictures!!! Also are u using a fuel pump voltage booster?? I got pricing today and honestly this kit isnt badly priced for the size and quality.. It's basically a wash between the whipple and Tvs, only the whipple has more room to grow!!!

rustang1

Established Member
35f2c3c256467c7c39c72e7300870eb3.jpg
40cbc023a840cf657137a87b0cfe79cf.jpg
5f8f1e4fc4256cf3b58138b220857cfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustang1

Established Member
Yes pictures!!! Also are u using a fuel pump voltage booster?? I got pricing today and honestly this kit isnt badly priced for the size and quality.. It's basically a wash between the whipple and Tvs, only the whipple has more room to grow!!!
Yes I have a VMP BAP

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
A Whipple 2.9 is what I will be going with on my f150, but the wife needs braces, lol

Users who are viewing this thread