brembo front brake upgrade questions

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
ok...then what differences between the 1500 one that I posted and the 2kr brembo kit? I'm thinking maintanence wise especially down the road. my big thing is that I want smooth rotors. I don't like drilled/slotted.

See post 18.

The $1500 kit comes with drilled or slotted rotors.

The Cobra R kit usually comes with either drilled or slotted rotors. Some came with blanks, but that was a couple years ago. They might still be around.

You could sell the slotted rotors and get Brembo blanks for about $100, or try to find the calipers only and bolt them on. The Focus RS caliper is the same caliper, just silver. They may not be available anymore.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Phil the focus RS calipers are available here. Let me know if you need me to price a set for you. Stay safe in IRAQ. See you at the track in 2 months.

By the way, I installed the Focus RS calipers and I bought the Brembo kit as well to make sure I could replicate the kit. I know the kit very well as well as most braking kits available. I sold the complete Brembo kit to Moose Stang from the UK with the built turbo car.

See a few pics: http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn255/fastlaneray/Brembo caliper upgrade/

Last edited:

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
ok, I have a brand new set of regular brembo rotors for my cobra. do they make the red caliper of that style? if so, perfect.

No I could not find the calipers in red unless it was a larger brembo kits over $2000 or so. All of the other kits were only offered in Black. I do have the decals and can paint the calipers again in red. Thats why I used the silver calipers.

Do you have SS lines already?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Last edited:

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
See post 18.

The $1500 kit comes with drilled or slotted rotors.

The Cobra R kit usually comes with either drilled or slotted rotors. Some came with blanks, but that was a couple years ago. They might still be around.

You could sell the slotted rotors and get Brembo blanks for about $100, or try to find the calipers only and bolt them on. The Focus RS caliper is the same caliper, just silver. They may not be available anymore.

So is the link he posted to lightningforceperformance kit the same kit that is sold on summit for a few hundred less? I already upgraded my rotors to brembo drilled and ss lines with hawk pads. Im thinking about gettin the summit kit, but if there is a place to just by calipers i might do that, as my current setup only has 3k miles or so on it.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I have russel SS lines. I'm debating just getting the black kit strip and powdercoat.

Paint with high heat paint made for brake calipers. There is some good stuff on the market. I have some and I will re-paint my calipers and add the Brembo logo (maybe another logo). The powder couating process has been known to damage the internal seals although the calipers can deal with heat. Maybe beacuse it has fluid internally while in use but nothing when being powder coated.

Not sure but be careful. Since you have rotors and SS lines, all you need is pads and calipers and you are in business.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
bingo...so who sells just the calipers and pads? is there a different banjo bolt? or does it work with the factory stainless lines.

You can buy the Focus RS calipers only, or used Cobra R calipers. The Focus RS calipers come loaded with pads.

The banjo bolt needed is different, here are the specs.
M10x1.0 by 29mm or also refered to as M10x1.0 Long

Bought them from XRP, part number 494413.

About $20 shipped.

You can use whatever brake line you have on the car now.

Here is the thread talking about everything you need.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/292463-focus-rs-brakes-cobra.html

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
So is the link he posted to lightningforceperformance kit the same kit that is sold on summit for a few hundred less? I already upgraded my rotors to brembo drilled and ss lines with hawk pads. Im thinking about gettin the summit kit, but if there is a place to just by calipers i might do that, as my current setup only has 3k miles or so on it.

The LFP kis is mislabeled. That is the 13 in Brembo GT kit with 2 piece rotors. In the drop down it wants you to choose which 2 piece rotor you want, slotted or drilled.

You need to buy Focus RS calipers.. if you can find them. Fastlane Cobra says they are still available in Germany.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
The banjo bolt that I used is the one that Large Orange Front mentioned. The company XRP has Main offices and operations in the UK and they sent me the banjo bolt for no charge because the normal price was really cheap.

As with everything if its in high demand the price goes up (Liberty gear 26 spline input shaft included)!!!! Therefore expect to pay $20.00 in the US for the Banjo bolts or I can try to get them from the company's main office in the UK for you.

By the way the calipers here are spares for the cars here and actually come without pads and a core charge. The parts are sold individually and not as a complete kit. Its still cheaper than the Brembo kit but not by much. You can only save about $200 or $300 or so because the dollar is weak to the Euro. The Focus RS calipers cost around 600 Euros for the pair with the core charges included. I learned a lot about calipers, rotors, and I was happier to piece my system together in the end. I also already had Russel lines. But the kit is also a perfect soloution. I guess the silver calipers are easier to paint than the black calipers.

As you can see from my pics, I have a few different pads to choose from (Porterfield RS4, stock brembo pad -Galpher, and the Ferodo DS2800). Brembo pads are the weakest. Porterfields are the best compromise for street and track, Ferodos are best on the track and need heat to perform well so they suck on the street.

Now with Bruce's 2 piece rotors I have a decent front braking system.

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
debating just paying the money to get the brembo kit from LFP with red calipers....I'll save myself alot of headache...Ray, will those fit behind the anniversary wheels. I don't want to give those up. I love the way they look on the cobra.

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
The LFP kis is mislabeled. That is the 13 in Brembo GT kit with 2 piece rotors. In the drop down it wants you to choose which 2 piece rotor you want, slotted or drilled.

You need to buy Focus RS calipers.. if you can find them. Fastlane Cobra says they are still available in Germany.

Whats really the benifit of 2 piece rotors?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Whats really the benifit of 2 piece rotors?

Reducing weight, particularly front end, unsprung weight

Reducing rotating mass (although front rotors are parasitic)

Keeps some of the heat out of the hubs for road racers and open trackers

Better cooling (usually 2 pc rotors are directionally vaned)

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Reducing weight, particularly front end, unsprung weight

Reducing rotating mass (although front rotors are parasitic)

Keeps some of the heat out of the hubs for road racers and open trackers

Better cooling (usually 2 pc rotors are directionally vaned)

No 2 piece rotos fit the 00R kits correct?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
No 2 piece rotos fit the 00R kits correct?

Incorrect. Brembo makes them and so do we.

But I would advise against going to the track (road course) with a Brembo 2 pc. I tore up my first two sets pretty badly. I can post up some pics later tonight if anybody wants to see them. Then I discovered Coleman actually made a rotor with more mass that could stand up to the rigors of road course duty. I've been using them ever since.

Back in 2004 I paid $1,200.00 for a set of Brembo 2 pc floaters that I toasted the rotor rings at my first trip to Road America. :dw::eek:

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread