brembo front brake upgrade questions

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I'm looking around at different brake kits, I really like the brembos. but it seems like there are alot of kits out there. I like this one, but I'm trying to stay away from 2 piece rotors as I enjoy driving my car on the street frequently.

the pictures show single piece, but the options say 2 piece.

Brembo Mustang Big Brake Kit 4-piston 1 Piece Rotor (1994-04) [1E4.6001A] - $1,429.95 : Lightning Force Performance

where can I get the specs and the replacement specs for this kit?

I have a few things I want to be able to maintain, 1 I have factory 10th anniversary wheels, I will not get rid of these wheels, the car is a 10th. so I want a red caliper up front. the Y2KR kits look like a much skinnier caliper and not a larger one, not to mention it looks fat. can anyone recommend something that would be relatively cheap replacement parts wise that would fit my criteria. Wilwood is my second choice.

I already have stainless lines and hawk pads on my car, but I want more then my PBR's are showing me.

blwn88cpe

Established Member
I've been thinking about them as well. Summit racing has them for 1199.95. The street 6 piston wilwoods are also nice.

20psirabbit

Established Member
the 2kr kit is the same rotors as stock, unless you opt for drilled or slotted rotors. obviously the brembo calipers, a set of stainless front lines, brake pads.

if you want to save some cash and not have redundant parts, you can just get the calipers, pads of your choice, and you'll need the correct banjo bolts as they are different than the stockers. a search will find you the right thread pitch and size bolt specs. just looking out :beer:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I just installed the 2kR kit and love it.. very much.. alot... I have hawk HPS pads in right now with the one piece slotted Brembo rotor... Fits with factory wheels a big ++++
I purchased them used and cleaned them up and painted them black..
HPIM1575S.jpg

HPIM1578.jpg

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
anyone know if these will work under a 17 inch 10th anniversary wheel?

These are the standard factory kits here:
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKitsProd...temno=140-9107
"
For wheel fit requirements please see page 3 of the pdf link. I can't say for certain on the wheels so you'll have to do the measuring. Red calipers are no problem and common. Rotor replacement prices vary by type; GT or drilled SRP model? Normal drilled are black finish rotors, optional silver zinc is a few bucks more. "

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Brembo - Catalogo HP GT

There you can compare all of the Brembo kits and see all of the technical details. Look at the part numbers etc.

Select "Ford" and "Mustang Front" and then from there as you click on the part numbers you can access additional details , tech specs and dimensions, and see the pics of the caliper etc. There are a few differences in some of the kits. The Cobra R kit being the better bang for the buck as compared to the Gran Turismo kit.

As far as I know the Brembo calipers from 2000 cobra R will clear stock 03 cobra and anniversary rims as well as FR500s in 18" only. They will not clear 1999 cobra rims or Bullet rims.

The kit that you posted is the 2000 cobra R kit. Its a bit pricey from LFP. Try Summit Racing or buyfordracing.com
Ray

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
sorry but the only factory wheel the brembos work with are the 03/04 cobras and the 2000 R rims, your going to have to replace them no matter what brake kit you use.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
sorry but the only factory wheel the brembos work with are the 03/04 cobras and the 2000 R rims, your going to have to replace them no matter what brake kit you use.

Wrong info CobraStang....... And yes its true that the 95 cobra R and the 98 cobra rims will clear the Brembo calipers also. The rims are similar but differ slightly. I should have added that also.

99/01 Cobra wheels will not clear nor will the 1994 - 1997 cobra wheels clear. The 2003 Anniversay wheels were designed to clear but I have not seen it in person yet. It has been posted before that it cleared when someone installed a set of Brembo calipers.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Wrong info CobraStang....... And yes its true that the 95 cobra R and the 98 cobra rims will clear the Brembo calipers also. The rims are similar but differ slightly. I should have added that also.

99/01 Cobra wheels will not clear nor will the 1994 - 1997 cobra wheels clear. The 2003 Anniversay wheels were designed to clear but I have not seen it in person yet. It has been posted before that it cleared when someone installed a set of Brembo calipers.

no.. i am telling you they wont fit, because ive had them before i threw my brembos on, hearing rumors from people is different than doing it.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
no.. i am telling you they wont fit, because ive had them before i threw my brembos on, hearing rumors from people is different than doing it.

For the record, which rim are you refering to when you said it does not fit? Do you mean the Anniversary wheel or the 95 cobra R and 98 cobra wheel?

I have never seen the Brembos installed on a car with anniversary wheels. But in the Ford racing catalog I guess the offset and back spacing dimensions are listed for all wheels.

If those dimensions are the same as the stock 03 cobra wheel then its a good chance that there is enough clearance because the spokes are straight.

PICS Anyone??

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member

I'm sorry you had trouble, but Ford (not aftermarket) R58s are guaranteed to fit with 2000 Cobra R Brembo calipers.

Just read this and stop spreading rumors.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
what are the differences between the kit I posted and the y2k kit? got a link to the wilwoods?

The $1500 kit you posted has a 2 piece 13in rotor and Brembo GT 4 pot caliper. They also have a 14 in kit available with a larger 2 piece rotor and larger caliper.

The $900-$1100 Cobra R kit comes with a 13in one piece rotor (same cobra rotor you have now) and the Brembo OEM style one piece 4 pot caliper.

These are 2 different kits, which is why one is $1500, and on is $1100. You can get the Cobra R kit for $900 or cheaper if you shop around.

ALL 17X9 Ford Mustang wheels will fit over either 13in brembo kit. This includes 95 R, 10th anniversary, and 03 Cobra wheels. 18X9 FR500s will fit, as will 18X9.5 2000 Cobra R wheels.

Also, the 98 Cobra wheels will fit over the Brembo caliper.

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
ok...then what differences between the 1500 one that I posted and the 2kr brembo kit? I'm thinking maintanence wise especially down the road. my big thing is that I want smooth rotors. I don't like drilled/slotted.

Users who are viewing this thread