Brembo caliper pad replacement - how?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just got my new 4-piston Brembo calipers but can't seem to figure out how to get the pads out. The calipers I have should be identical to the ones on the 00R.

It looks like the pads "hang" from a set of pins at the top of the pad and there is a flat "spring" that pushes down on them. I can't see any obvious way to get the pins out.

I assume I don't need to open the caliper by removing the large hex type bolts that hold it together. Seems like that would be a nightmare, especially considering the way the brake line is routed around the caliper.

The calipers came with no documentation.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You can use a small punch from the inside and tap the pad pins out.
There are small plastic spacers on the pins for a friction fit.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Actually you need to pound the pins inward from the outside towards the inside with a small diameter drift pin. There is a metal split ring that holds tension on the pins keeping them in place.

Pull the rotor towards you a little bit to loosen up the pads. This will push the pistons in a bit to make pad removal a little easier.

Let us know how you did!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Wow, that is easy!
And I thought the PBR's were easy.

Thanks for the info!

I'm putting Brembo's on my 07GT for that reason! plus, it'll use the same pads as the shelby :thumbsup:

which brings up a thread diversion question! :idea:

after using Hawk DTC70 track pads at VIR, I switched back to the stock pads for street use....well, it seems the compounds are not friendly, and the stock pads grind (and stink!) like heck....does anyone know if there is a street pad, hawk or otherwise, that is friendly with the DTC70 compound? I'm looking at not having to swap or sand down my rotors between track and street pad changes....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm putting Brembo's on my 07GT for that reason! plus, it'll use the same pads as the shelby :thumbsup:

which brings up a thread diversion question! :idea:

after using Hawk DTC70 track pads at VIR, I switched back to the stock pads for street use....well, it seems the compounds are not friendly, and the stock pads grind (and stink!) like heck....does anyone know if there is a street pad, hawk or otherwise, that is friendly with the DTC70 compound? I'm looking at not having to swap or sand down my rotors between track and street pad changes....

Ken:

For the best bang for the buck, keep dedicated race pads and rotors mated and switch rotors and pads if you must drive on the street.

OTOH I think the HP+ and the HPS pads might be compatible with the Hawk racepads but I'm not sure. Check with Hawk to be sure or to get their input.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Most events I attend, I am usually with a friend who is a die hard Hawk fan. He switches from Hawk blues and blacks to the HPs pads all the time with no issues.

steve121

Established Member
When I used to swap pads I used HT-10's on the front and Blues on the rear, for the street I used Hawk ceramic pads. I never had any issues.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Ken:
For the best bang for the buck, keep dedicated race pads and rotors mated and switch rotors and pads if you must drive on the street.
OTOH I think the HP+ and the HPS pads might be compatible with the Hawk racepads but I'm not sure. Check with Hawk to be sure or to get their input.
If there are pads out there that are compatible, I would like to try not swapping rotors, just doing a quick pad change....

Most events I attend, I am usually with a friend who is a die hard Hawk fan. He switches from Hawk blues and blacks to the HPs pads all the time with no issues.
Thanks! I figured they might be compatible - I'll double check with the guys at raceshopper just to be sure....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
When I used to swap pads I used HT-10's on the front and Blues on the rear, for the street I used Hawk ceramic pads. I never had any issues.
Thats what I use on track on the 00R, and since that car sees very limited street use, I just leave them in....the first stop can be scary when they are cold, as they require heat to work....I usually do a few quick short stops when I first start out, street and track....What ceramic pads do you use on the street?

steve121

Established Member
Ken,
I use Hawk ceramic pads for the street with the same rotors. I'm not sure of the item number but I do have the box at home. Although I haven't swapped out in a while because the car sees very little street use, I think using the same rotors on the street has really helped them last (additional heat cycles?). I just changed rotors before VIR after 12-14 track days and they still looked good enough to save as backups.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Ken,
I use Hawk ceramic pads for the street with the same rotors. I'm not sure of the item number but I do have the box at home. Although I haven't swapped out in a while because the car sees very little street use, I think using the same rotors on the street has really helped them last (additional heat cycles?). I just changed rotors before VIR after 12-14 track days and they still looked good enough to save as backups.

My 00R sees very little street use as well, and I just leave the track pads on it....The reason I asked is for the shelby....it is used the opposite way, and sees more street duty than track use....I agree though, I leave the same rotors on until they wear themselves out, easily lasting for 2-3 sets of race pads....and they still look good after that, but I figured for $60-something apiece, I've gotten my money's worth out of them by then....after that, they are given away to people at the track that completely wore theirs out, or used to keep the tent from blowing away at the track :beer:

ekimv

Established Member
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This may be the funniest thing I have ever read! I love it! May I borrow that? I would like to send it along with some of my corporate e-mails to clients that are either liberal or have a sense of humor about themselves.

LOL!:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread