Breeding a dog and raising puppies

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Our Irish Wolfhound was bred on 6/13 and 6/15, and is currently carrying puppies. We had an ultrasound done on her about 2 weeks ago which confirmed pregnancy. She is due for her X-Rays on 8/4, and should being to go into labor sometime between 8/8 - 8/15.

We have never raised baby dogs before, so this is new territory for us.

I plan to build an 8' x 8' x 2' whelping box this weekend, with pig rails around the inside. We have ordered some Velcro collars for the pups to help identify them.

Due to the immense size of these dogs, we were advised to take the first 2 weeks off work and plan to be with them 24/7 to make sure there's no accidental injuries or deaths.

Anyone been through this process before that can offer some advice?

Here's a picture of mom. She's 134 lbs. I'm 6'0" for size reference.

Keira up copy.jpg

Attachments

• Keira up copy.jpg
    Keira up copy.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

5.2Leader

Established Member
My prayers out to you my friend and the best of luck! You and your family are much more daring than mine! Good looking dog! Not to mention the size!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dwest731

Established Member
We raised and bred boxers when I was growing up. Just like I tell people having a new baby, sleep now lol.

Good luck and congrats on such a beautiful dog!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Beautiful dog and good luck. Is it true the males are even bigger? I'm hoping to breed my Dogo Argentinos next year, when the female, Freja, has her heat at around the age of 2.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks! Male Wolfhounds stand about 2 inches taller at the shoulder, and weigh a bit more. The stud dog weighs 155 lbs.

GL if you breed! Hope it goes well :)

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
We bred our Doberman and had 7 puppies. Be very in-tune around the timeframe she is estimated to deliver, especially if she's a first time mom. Our momma didn't have the first clue what was happening and just sat confused as the first puppy was suffocating in the sac. Luckily my wife woke up in time and was able to rip the sac open so the puppy could breathe. After number 3 was born momma instincts kicked in and she handled it from there.

Once all are born the first week and a half is the easiest. The mom does everything. Feeds, cleans, and cleans up the puppy poo. Just make sure that every puppy is getting ample time at the teats if she doesn't have enough to go around. It's from weeks 2 to 6/7 (or whenever they finally go to the new owners) that are hectic. Plan on bathing them every other day unless you are able to clean up after them right away once the mom stops. They don't care about the shit and will play with each other and step and roll all over in it. We woke up each morning to a mess.

I would never do it again, it wasn't worth the money we made, but I am glad we experienced it at least once.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
We bred our Doberman and had 7 puppies. Be very in-tune around the timeframe she is estimated to deliver, especially if she's a first time mom. Our momma didn't have the first clue what was happening and just sat confused as the first puppy was suffocating in the sac. Luckily my wife woke up in time and was able to rip the sac open so the puppy could breathe. After number 3 was born momma instincts kicked in and she handled it from there.

Once all are born the first week and a half is the easiest. The mom does everything. Feeds, cleans, and cleans up the puppy poo. Just make sure that every puppy is getting ample time at the teats if she doesn't have enough to go around. It's from weeks 2 to 6/7 (or whenever they finally go to the new owners) that are hectic. Plan on bathing them every other day unless you are able to clean up after them right away once the mom stops. They don't care about the shit and will play with each other and step and roll all over in it. We woke up each morning to a mess.

I would never do it again, it wasn't worth the money we made, but I am glad we experienced it at least once.

Great info! Thank you.

We are thinking the first 2 weeks we will keep them in the whelping box inside the house. After that, we will probably move them to the garage or workshop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread