Brand new GT or used 08 GT 500

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I'm buying one of the two next month. The Shelby has about 6800 miles on it. I get a much better price on the GT under the D plan so I'm leaning toward the GT. What do you guys think?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
There are several threads on this topic. Consensus seems to be one of personal choice. Depends on what you want out of the car.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
drive both decide what you like better. GT500 mods gets alot out of the car for less money but you will probably pay the difference upfront/insurance. Its all personal choice. I went with the 5.0, never looked back.

AmnDucky

Established Member
GT:
cheaper
more efficient engine
great power potential
potential to be a track monster
better weight distribution

GT500:
more expensive
name
a ton of power potential
good street/strip monster
rarity

Don't just look at power, you have to look at what each car is good at and how you intend to use it. I track my car, so I would rather have less weight on the nose, and no heat soak issues. So the GT500 is out the window. Someone that will never see the track but wants to be able to beat anything in the county may prefer to run a GT500.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I say get the GT and this is coming from someone who owns both an '11 GT500 and an '11 GT. The new GT's are so close in performance that there is really not much dropoff performance wise and is a better bang for the buck. It is true that you can mod a GT500 cheaper for more power but it doesn't neccessarily perform better. The GT500 has some nicer ameneties (IMO) like better seat surfaces , better steering wheel, better gauge setup, cobra emblems(j/k).

My GT500 is a convertible so it fills a role like spirited driving on the weekends, sunburn and all. The GT (automatic) serves as mostly a track (1/4 mile) car with the occasional drive to work.

jbur074

Established Member
id get a gt500 honestly. id trade in my 5.0 for a gt500 any day of the week. the thing i miss most about having my terminator was the fact that it was a cobra. i felt special driving around a limited edition car. where as my 5.0 is cool now because its so new, but in a year or 2 everyone will have the new 5.0 and it wont be special anymore. i cant afford a gt500 at the moment, but my next car will most certinaly be a gt500

Bleedsblue

Established Member
id get a gt500 honestly. id trade in my 5.0 for a gt500 any day of the week. the thing i miss most about having my terminator was the fact that it was a cobra. i felt special driving around a limited edition car. where as my 5.0 is cool now because its so new, but in a year or 2 everyone will have the new 5.0 and it wont be special anymore. i cant afford a gt500 at the moment, but my next car will most certinaly be a gt500

Yea, I hear ya but they are new now and by the time "everybody" has one mine will be modded to the hill. I want to build a forged coyote motor, set up for a blower, after the car is in the driveway. I also work in a body shop so I may have some sick exterior work done to make it mine. I don't really care too much about status anyways. If I did I'd buy a vette..... I'm going GT if you didn't figure it out by now.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I'm buying one of the two next month. The Shelby has about 6800 miles on it. I get a much better price on the GT under the D plan so I'm leaning toward the GT. What do you guys think?

:shrug: How are you getting a price under D plan?

Tough call though as the GT 500 is still a great car. Pulley/tune/midpipe and you are in the low/mid 500's.

jbur074

Established Member
Yea, I hear ya but they are new now and by the time "everybody" has one mine will be modded to the hill. I want to build a forged coyote motor, set up for a blower, after the car is in the driveway. I also work in a body shop so I may have some sick exterior work done to make it mine. I don't really care too much about status anyways. If I did I'd buy a vette..... I'm going GT if you didn't figure it out by now.

this is true, if your a guy that dosnt care about exclusitivity. even if its a 800hp gt, at the end of the day most people just see it as a gt, where as a gt500 is, well a gt500 lol. to some people that dosnt matter, but to me id rather roll around in a gt500 just because its a gt500. but if all you want is sheer power and go kinda sleeper than go built GT

AmnDucky

Established Member

If you're going to mod the hell out of it, then you made the right choice. Here is an article comparing the coyote to the condor, and the coyote wins.

Ford Mustang Kenne Bell Supercharger 5.0 Coyote Vs. 5.4 Condor - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

jbur074

Established Member
lol where i live owning a corvette has no effect on status, tons of old rich dudes rollin vettes. any status cars are z06s and gt500s, well and boss 302s, and exotic cars (which there are a TON out here)

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I work for Herb Chambers Ford's collision center. I probably have the only appraiser job in the world that gets D plan.

Oh, so you get the D plan. The way your post reads, I thought you were stating that you are getting a price below d plan.

I agree, no better way to buy than D Plan and then get all rates/incentives.

Users who are viewing this thread