Brakes, worth it?

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
Hi guys, I know i've been absent alot as of late but with my job moving me around like an unwanted child i haven't had much free time. I have been ignoring the cobra for a while as far as driving and fun factor and i think it's time to give it some eye pleasing changes. I've decided to go ahead and purchase some wheels specifically the black FR500 18X9 & 18X10 deepdish one question i have is what is the recomended tire size for those and will i have any fitment issues in the back? (car is not lowered yet). Second question- I was going to go ahead and give it a brake pad change since it needs some new pads and i was wondering if the OEM pads are good enough or is it worth it to put an aftermarket pad and mybe rotors as well? the car stops fine just looking for opinons i guess. I would appreciate any imput you guys have (I still a noob). thanks, chris

TRBO VNM

no fitment issues and no spacers needed, even lowered with those wheels. same wheels I have, but mine are chrome.

go with a 275 on the front and either a 295 or a 305 on the rear. I have a 295 and it looks great. A lot of us here have the BFG KDW 2's or they are called NT's from dicount tire direct. BFG measures wider than most others and I recommend the 295 in their tire.

on the pads, tough decision on that. I didn't like the brake dust of stockers. I tried the raybestos quiet stops in the front and had nothing but noise, however, I think it was user error. I didn't brake them in correctly. I put them on and the next day went to the track. I never really heat cycled them. those pads should work as good as stock, but less dust.

I ended up with Akebono's and they stopped great and no noise. For what you do right now, I don't see a need to put different rotors on unless you need to because yours have been cut too many times. what you should do for a nice performance upgrade are the stainless steel lines and speed bleeders. the lines are a short section where you have the rubber right now. that rubber flexes/stretches/expands and decreases performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread