Brake problem Need help

THogg

Established Member
I have a 04 TT and having a problem with the braking system. When I come up to a light to stop and lighly press the brake it will slowly go to the floor. Now if I let off the brake and press it again hard it will hold or press it hard , it will hold.

I've recently blead the brakes when I installed new rotors and pads, but it seems to be a little worst. Do I need to take it and have it blead by a pro? I used a vacuum bleeding (for the first time) and feel like I got all the air out.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have a 04 TT and having a problem with the braking system. When I come up to a light to stop and lighly press the brake it will slowly go to the floor. Now if I let off the brake and press it again hard it will hold or press it hard , it will hold.

I've recently blead the brakes when I installed new rotors and pads, but it seems to be a little worst. Do I need to take it and have it blead by a pro? I used a vacuum bleeding (for the first time) and feel like I got all the air out.

That symptom is how a blown master cylinder will feel.

You could try and bleed if you want, was there any recent brake work done or the brakes touched at all?

03/04 Cobras also have a master cyl bleeder screw, because of the steep tip of the cylinder, this is a an important step in air removal.

THogg

Established Member
It has always done it since I got the car last year. From what you are saying it sounds like, when they switch to the SRA they didn't bleed it right. So should I start at the MC then the right rear when bleeding. Or just bleed the MC?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It has always done it since I got the car last year. From what you are saying it sounds like, when they switch to the SRA they didn't bleed it right. So should I start at the MC then the right rear when bleeding. Or just bleed the MC?

If you've swapped an SRA into this car and you're now having this problem that you didn't have before, what you're experiencing is called "pad knock-back" from the SRA.

The rear brake pads are being knocked back while driving and then the pedal requires a pump to put the pads back in place to brake. That is why the pedal feels good after the pump.

If you have a hard pedal after the pump, there is NO air is the system.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

THogg

Established Member
If you've swapped an SRA into this car and you're now having this problem that you didn't have before, what you're experiencing is called "pad knock-back" from the SRA.

The rear brake pads are being knocked back while driving and then the pedal requires a pump to put the pads back in place to brake. That is why the pedal feels good after the pump.

If you have a hard pedal after the pump, there is NO air is the system.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

The SRA was installed before I got the car. Is there a way to fix this problem.

Thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

I am going to say this again and try to be more clear, if the pedal is in fact going all the way to the floor with light pressure but not with hard pressure, I think your master cylinder may have gone bad.

The previous "knock back scenario" will happen but usually it will not go all the way to the floor. It is also does not change results from changes in pedal pressure, whereas a bad master cylinder will.

A light pressure press that results in the pedal slowly going to the floor, but not going to the floor if pressed hard, is nearly always a bad master cylinder.

It comes from the seals inside the master bleeding by and often there is no external leaks.

If you have access to a seasoned automotive tech/advisor, have them try the pedal on your car to confirm.
This can be a very dangerous condition as it deteriorates further.

THogg

Established Member
I am going to say this again and try to be more clear, if the pedal is in fact going all the way to the floor with light pressure but not with hard pressure, I think your master cylinder may have gone bad.

The previous "knock back scenario" will happen but usually it will not go all the way to the floor. It is also does not change results from changes in pedal pressure, whereas a bad master cylinder will.

A light pressure press that results in the pedal slowly going to the floor, but not going to the floor if pressed hard, is nearly always a bad master cylinder.

It comes from the seals inside the master bleeding by and often there is no external leaks.

If you have access to a seasoned automotive tech/advisor, have them try the pedal on your car to confirm.
This can be a very dangerous condition as it deteriorates further.

Thanks. I'll have it checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread