Brake pads for stoptech rotors

Robot_trainer

Established Member
So I have Porterfield pad and just installed Stoptech rotors. Im noticing both the front and rear pad dont cover the inside quarter inch of the rotor. I thought porterfields were suppose to solve this. It looks like crap when you wash the wheels as this area rusts and the pad doesnt wipe it. Do the stoptech pads cover more area? How about hawks?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you were running your pads with other rotors before the swap, they may need to wear into the new rotors. That's one reason it's a good idea to change your pads with new rotors. My Carbotech pads have full coverage.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
If you were running your pads with other rotors before the swap, they may need to wear into the new rotors. That's one reason it's a good idea to change your pads with new rotors. My Carbotech pads have full coverage.
The front pads are 1/4 too short. They dont cover the inside surface of the rotor.

Robot_trainer

Established Member

merkyworks

Established Member
He is talking about the area of the circled in red.
Capture.JPG

However I don't know of a pad that would extend into this area and if you ran a 2-piece rotor you wouldn't want it to. But maybe these are Carbtech pads IDK.
Capture1.JPG

Your options to not have that rust line would be
  • Get a coated 1-piece rotor
  • Get a 2-piece rotor
  • Take off your current rotor, mask off braking surface and paint rust area with high temp paint.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
He is talking about the area of the circled in red.
View attachment 1507071

However I don't know of a pad that would extend into this area and if you ran a 2-piece rotor you wouldn't want it to. But maybe these are Carbtech pads IDK.
View attachment 1507078

Exactly what Im refering to. Since I just dropped close to 1k on these rotors, I wont be doing a two piece set up. The ones I have the hats are powder coated. Huge pita to mask of and paint the exposex area. Paint probably wouldnt last anyway. I was hoping someone ran into the same thing and found a pad with the extra surface area even if its just the front.

Your options to not have that rust line would be
  • Get a coated 1-piece rotor
  • Get a 2-piece rotor
  • Take off your current rotor, mask off braking surface and paint rust area with high temp paint.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I tried but they are too big. I spoke to Stoptech. Said this is pretty much how it is. It looks like their brake surface goes inwards more than the oem. I just bought some ceramic caliper paint and painted where the pads dont touch.
If you ever figure it out. Id be interested in the pics with the issue and your painted fix. Good luck

Robot_trainer

Established Member
before.jpg
after.jpg
before.jpg
The reason I didnt change the pads was that they only had 500 miles on them. I scuffed them over some sand paper on a flat surface. I changed them because of the dust. I didnt change the rotors because they only had 15,000 miles on them. I changed the rotors to solve an intermittent popping sound I could feel in the brake pedal before coming to a stop. I found the problem and it was un related. I hope these pics work. The before is before I painted the area that is not touched by the pad. You can see the rust ring after one wash. The after is where I painted the ring black as per Stoptech with ceramic caliper paint

Robot_trainer

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread