Brake Pad Question

joed2nd

Established Member
I have a 99 cobra. Looking into replacing the brake pads. Was reading a forum about Hawk brake pads and most of the people said there was major squeakage. What brake pads does anyone recommend. Are motorcraft or ford just as good as Hawk or any other aftermarket ones?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'll go ahead and put a flame suite on for this. Duralast Gold has a silicone backing - I put them on my car and you will not believe how quiet it is. Not a single squeel. Cheap and with Lifetime Warranty to boot. I'm sure this is not a great pad for extreme applications, but my car is a DD and it works just fine for me.

I had the Ceramic Hawks prior to this, and had to grease the heck out of it to make sure it didn't squeal. The only time they didn't squeel was under heavy braking.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i'll have to agree with 007Paul, a top of the line brand from an autoparts store are usually very nice quality with a warranty..Wagner, Duralast, etc...i used the Motorcraft ones on my '99 thinking they would be top notch. boy was i wrong, dusted like crazy, sqeeled half the time, and cost like twice as much.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Call Carbotech and get their street pad if you want an aftermarket solution with a hint towards street performance.

However, for 95% of the drivers out there, the over the counter pads at Advance/Autozone/Napa are good enough.

Personally, I run Carbotechs on both cars.

-Kevin

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I'll go ahead and put a flame suite on for this. Duralast Gold has a silicone backing - I put them on my car and you will not believe how quiet it is. Not a single squeel. Cheap and with Lifetime Warranty to boot. I'm sure this is not a great pad for extreme applications, but my car is a DD and it works just fine for me.
I had the Ceramic Hawks prior to this, and had to grease the heck out of it to make sure it didn't squeal. The only time they didn't squeel was under heavy braking.

Why do you need a flame suit for this? This is a great idea. Only reason I didnt go this route is because they didnt offer the ceramics for the rear, only the fronts; I dont know if that has changed now though. OP I have the Hawk HPS+ and they dont squeal...and shouldnt if you follow their bedding instructions

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
90% of brake sqeak/squeel is improper greasing during installation.

I cannot ever remember a brake job coming back to me for squeek even when I did it for a living no matter what pad I used.
Literally hundreds of brake jobs.

The other 10% can be from hard metalic pads.
You have metal in the pads rubbing against a metal rotor.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I run Hawk HPS's and after following the bedding process no squeeks at all. Like Stampede said, the more aggressive the brake compound the more likely it is to squeek because of the higher metal content.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the input. For those who use the Hawk hps. Alot of brake dust?

Remember its a ferro carbon pad: but for a carbon pad not really. Many will chime in here and bitch that they dust a lot and honestly I dont know how often they arent cleaning their wheels or what they expected but it aint bad. Now if you compare it to a ceramic pad it will dust a little more; the main difference is with cermaic you dont get the darker dust you do from the carbons...it APPEARS its dusting less

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I clean my wheels every week or so and can honestly say the Hawk HPS's dust less than EBC's and OEM Ford pads. At least on a drilled/slotted rotor.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
90% of brake sqeak/squeel is improper greasing during installation.

I cannot ever remember a brake job coming back to me for squeek even when I did it for a living no matter what pad I used.
Literally hundreds of brake jobs.

The other 10% can be from hard metalic pads.
You have metal in the pads rubbing against a metal rotor.

That would be true on a basic pad, but high performance pads have higher concentration of metallic and race pads are very high to the point they screech like metal on metal.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
That would be true on a basic pad, but high performance pads have higher concentration of metallic and race pads are very high to the point they screech like metal on metal.

That would fall into the "Other 10%"

But with that said,
I've run almost every pad out there on the Fox bodies I had, The 2 Cobras and the Vette. Not to mention a number of actual RACE CARS. and my shit doesn't squeek, squeel or screech.

Not even open tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread