brake fluid ?s

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
i have a 01 cobra and just got rid of my abs unit and had the stock fluid in it from what i know (not first owner)...

what fluid should i use? dot3? synthetic?

also any tips or tricks to bleeding the front brakes seeing how the bleeder valve is on top of the brake and not on the bottom so i could just let it fall into a bucket?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Dot 3 is fine for the street.
Dot 4 has a higher boiling point when needed (I.E. Autocross racing)
You can mix Dot 4 and Dot 3 together.

Dot 5 can not be mixed with Dot 3/4.
Dot 5 should not be used with an ABS unit, but you deleted yours.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Buy Fords Brake fluid. It always tests well and is liked by racers.

do yourself a favor and buy a 1 man bleeder kit from harbor freight. You'll wonder how you worked on brakes without it.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I just put a clear line on the nipple, I never have any mess.

Yes , those one man brake bleeders are nice but I still prefer some one pumping 4-5 times while I open and close the valve.

Also, make sure the master cylinder doesn't go below the minimum mark and suck in air ,if it does you will have to bleed the master cylinder which isn't hard but try to avoid that.

skyL1NE

Established Member
I use a clear hose and brake fluid bottle. I top off the fluid in the reservoir and out the linen on the bleeder screw and take the brake fluid bottle and fill it about half full and put the hose in the bottle and open the bleeder and start pumping the brake pedal. Just make sure the hose is in brake fluid and keep topping off the reservoir.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It doesn't matter that the bleeder is on top, just bleed the brakes as you normally would.

Yeah it kinda does matter. Any air trapped in the brake system will rise, with the bleeder on top of the caliper, the air can easily be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread