Brake Fluid Leaking from Reservoir

darreng505

Established Member
Gents,
At the track I get some fluid leaking out of the plastic reservoir. Presumably under high pressure situations or negative G's.
What's the best way to keep it sealed tight? Someone at the track said to put a rag or something under the cap and screw it down. But that seems kludgy to me.

thanks.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Darren, this is a common issue with Mustangs. I don't have a big problem with it but I have several friends that do. What tends to be the go to solution is placing one of those tennis elastic arm bands around the cap. Anything that leaks out gets soaked up and it does not look that bad.

I don't think I would stick a rag under the cap and tighten. If I went that route I would use a piece of thin innertube to try to maintain a tight seal and prevent moisture contamination.

darreng505

Established Member
hopper, thanks for the tip. I'll try something like that. I didn't get leaks last year but this year I do, so maybe its a right of passage for really hammering down on the laps!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Those little hair scrunchies girls use also work excellent around the cap on the master cylinder. Change them when they get soaked.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Darren, this is a common issue with Mustangs. I don't have a big problem with it but I have several friends that do. What tends to be the go to solution is placing one of those tennis elastic arm bands around the cap. Anything that leaks out gets soaked up and it does not look that bad.

I don't think I would stick a rag under the cap and tighten. If I went that route I would use a piece of thin innertube to try to maintain a tight seal and prevent moisture contamination.

http://www.reservoirsocks.com/

Basicall the same as the quick fix suggestions below. Tons of companies make them for imports, bikes, etc. but there is nothing fancy about it.

5.0GT

Established Member
Should have done something like this long time ago. It ate through my pain, I had to pray some plasti-dip on it not to rust

Users who are viewing this thread