Brake Fluid leak at both rear brakes?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
So I noticed today there was some fluid on my RR rim, almost clear but slightly amber. Not a lot, but it leaves tracks on the rim and tire. Some on the rotor surface also. Looked on the other rim (LR) and it had similar fluid.

Pulled both rear rims off to investigate, right side had some fluid stain on the coil spring but no evidence of where it came from, doesn't appear to be from the hose or caliper.

Left side did have a little on the caliper/pad but it's the outside surface, not the inner. Master cylinder is full.

No idea why both would leak at the same time. FYI I had my rear brakes (pads) done 18 months ago and also a brake fluid flush. Had fronts done just 2 months ago, but they had no reason to bleed them just to install pads and turn rotors.

Any ideas what could be going on? I've already put the wheels back on, but I guess I should have looked for bleeder screws to see if they are tight? Where are they? I'm open to other ideas before I take it back to the shop...

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Idk, my guess is you have a 10yr old car? Call it lucky? Remove and rebuild?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Yeah, they are the original calipers. But is it really logical that they would both start leaking at exactly the same time? Seems odd...

I've been driving the car, checking for leaks daily, and no more fluid or leaks are visible. If it's a bad component, wouldn't it continuously leak or get even worse? Still puzzled.

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Is your fluid level in the brake resivour changing ? It could be gear lube from the rear end pinion seal splattering around the back of the car. Had a buddys truck leak and his tailgate even got soaked with it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt be terribly surprised if they bled the rear brakes anyway and left the bleeders loose. You really need to take the wheels back off and have someone pump the brakes so you can see whats going on, otherwise we could sit here and speculate all day

wdemos

Quote: So I noticed today there was some fluid on my RR rim, almost clear but slightly amber. Not a lot, but it leaves tracks on the rim and tire. Some on the rotor surface also. Looked on the other rim (LR) and it had similar fluid.

Could be from your dog.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
wdemos - welcome to SVTP, 1st post !
the dog LOL, yeah I thought of that but the stuff didn't smell, it had an oily consistency.
Will also check the bleeder screws and the pumpkin for any evidence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread