Brake Dust Poll

Do you have more brake dust on the rear wheels?

• Yes

Votes: 213 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 94 27.6%
  • Brake dust doesn't stick to my wheels

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Who cares

Votes: 24 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyZinc03

Established Member
I just changed my rear pads to EBC greens. For those that are thinking about this, there are a few things you should know. Yes they produce much less dust. Yes there is a squeek once in a while though they have only been on the car for 2 days and have not had a chance to break in yet. My car is zinc so the black dust prior to the new pads was a mess. All over the rear bumper after 1 day. Now for the not so good news: They were a pain in the a$$ to install. For those that dont know, rear pads for the 03 cobra are not available, you have to use the ones that go on gt's from prior years. It seems that the rotors on the 03 are much thicker because these pads would not fit, they were too thick. Yes the piston was compresses all the way. I had to shave them down some untill they finally went on. They were tight and I had to be very careful first time out because they burned and smoked like hell till they broke in. After one day they were fine.
Next thing, the caliper bolts would be a chalange for Vin Diesel I think. Had to use a 3 foot breaker bar on one side and a breaker bar with a hydrolic jack on the other. Only then they came lose. No 3/8 drive will do the job on these bad boys. I had a bmw 330i where I did all 4 wheels in 2 hours. This car took an entire day. Oh and the piston does not compress with c-clips like all other cars, you need a special tool from ford (or needlenose pliars like me) to turn the piston in. So, the rewards are good since the car is cleaner but what a pain it was to install!!!

ALA G8R

Banned
I was getting brake dust bad on my rear wheels and bumper when the car was new. I don't notice it nearly as much now. Definitely has gotten better with the wear.

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
Want to buy HI-PO braks

Does anybody have a web sit forthese braks?
Or a site for Xtreme motor sports?
Thanks, POY ZIN

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
HI-PO brakes pads

Just got off the phone with Xtreme motor sports,
they do not sell HI-PO brake pads. does anybody
have another place to buy these brake pads?
Thanks, POY ZIN

Last edited:

jacob67

Established Member
the front are larger and have would have more dust

if i had more on the back brakes i would take a look at them

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Rob03
Anyone notice that they have more brake dust on the rear wheels than on the fronts?

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

I have equal amounts but then again I do run street/track pads daily and track only pads/rotors on race day (used too). :D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by MyZinc03
Now for the not so good news: They were a pain in the a$$ to install. For those that dont know, rear pads for the 03 cobra are not available, you have to use the ones that go on gt's from prior years. It seems that the rotors on the 03 are much thicker because these pads would not fit, they were too thick.

The calipers thus the pads are not different on the 03 Cobra's. You could/should have bought pads for the 94-01 Cobra's and they would have installed just fine.

The GT's don't have the vented rotor that the Cobra does, thus thier rotor is narrower and takes thicker pads. With the thicker Cobra rotor, the pad is narrower alowing to it fit just fine. The install will be much easier next time with the right pads. :) :beer:
Brian

bossvt

Established Member
I may not let it accumulate long enough to really know if there is a difference. But when it comes to brake dust, I've never seen anything accumulate brake dust like a Volvo. I've had both a 850 and a V70 and the front wheels turn black within a few weeks. The cobra is nothing compared to that.

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
I asked the guys at the dealership about that and they said it was because unlike most cars the braking is 60% on the front and 40% on the rear, the cobras are 50/50. not sure if he knew what he was talking about but oh well

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
85% of the braking forces are borne by the front and only 15% on the rear. they were blowing smoke up your butt.

GetBitBiatch said:
I asked the guys at the dealership about that and they said it was because unlike most cars the braking is 60% on the front and 40% on the rear, the cobras are 50/50. not sure if he knew what he was talking about but oh well

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have chrome wheels but I use watered down Simple Green and then when they are all clean and dry, I wax them with NX Tech paste wax. That seems to keep the dust from sticking pretty good, but it still sticks to the rear quarters like you guys are describing. My car being white, ends up getting the entire back bumper having a light hazy coating on it after about 1 day of driving. Nothing that you would notice unless you got real close, but I know it's there so it drives me insane.

3GROC

Established Member
with 17000 miles mine is as bad as ever... leaves a fine mist all over the back bumper...

SonicBlueFTW

Steedarr
Established Member
i've always washed my wheels with the same stuff i wash the car with. always worried about those harsh cleaners.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread