Brake Dust Poll

Do you have more brake dust on the rear wheels?

• Yes

Votes: 213 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 94 27.6%
  • Brake dust doesn't stick to my wheels

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Who cares

Votes: 24 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob03

Established Member
Anyone notice that they have more brake dust on the rear wheels than on the fronts?

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

ddl6289

Established Member
I have only 300 miles on my silver 03. But i've noticed that the rear corner-panels quickly get dirty with a black dust that I think is brake dust. It only takes a few miles for this to happen and I've never seen anything like this on any other car that I've owned. Has anyone else noticed this? I was thinking of switching brake pads to the Hawk Carbotic street pads, which are supposed to give off less dust. By the way, do the 01 and 03 Cobras use the same size brake pads?

Thanks,
Dan

FINICKY

Established Member
man i got allot of dust on all four wheels.but yes more on the back. i was gonna go with the chrome wheels but am not now cause i think it would look bad with the brake dust all the time.

coleman

Established Member
my car is zinc yellow and shows a LOT of dirt, brake, dust, whatever all over the back bumber.
i think it has a lot to do with the oversized tires.
i truely thought it was tire material from me having fun all the time. but it may be brake dust... i don't know.
well, it at least forces me to wash the vehicle more often :)

SonicBlue03

Established Member
I can't back the damn thing out of the garage without a buildup of brake dust on the rear rims. I can't imagine these things lasting very long at this rate.

Has anyone found a good wheel cleaner that cuts down on dust buildup? I wonder if Zaino's Z-6 would work since it is supposed to have some antistatic properties.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
.....yep, waaaay dirtier than the fronts all the time.

x2svt

Established Member
To all, Do your brakes work as intended??? Yes there is more dust on the rears than the fronts on my Cobra just like my past Cobras...1993..1999..2001..2003...SO WHAT!!!!....Enjoy the ride. FOMOGO...:-D

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I've been trying to figure that one out myself. Get's real dirty in back after one day of driving. Fronts are clean as can be.

Do you think the proportioning valve is off?

skstang

Established Member
Z6 doesnt help. Lots a dust and thats all I use to clean the rims. Oh well small price to pay for greatness. Anyone else getting squeeky brakes?

Hammer

Established Member
I got so sick of scrubbing those damn rims every two days!!!

Got some Armor All Wheel Cleaner from Pep Boys. It works great. Spray the rims, let them sit for a few minutes and hose them down. 99% of the dust comes off and the other 1% easily with a cotton towel. Makes them look like they just rolled out of the showroom.

And the bottle will last for about a 15 cleanings of all 4 wheels.

KingKobra

Established Member
I'm very sure that the reason there is more brake dust on the rear than the front, is because the front brakes are Vented Brembo, and the rear brakes are not Brembo!

So, I'm thinking this is a difference of product quality and if we didn't have the Brembo's in the front, we'd have four dusty rims! :D

Mowgli

Established Member
Hammer - isn't that Armor All Wheel Cleaner abit harsh?

I used it on my 99 Eclipse GSX's wheels (also polished aluminum, but two piece) and eventually the exposed aluminum ended up scored and dull.

Not positive it was the cleaner, but not positive it wasn't.

I reccomend simple Green (or some other VERY mild cleaner) and elbow grease.

I'm still looking for a good protectant.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Has anyone tried the ceramic pads? I've read that they stop great and have very little(light grey) dust.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
The rear brakes have a different type of pad on them, that is why they create alot more dust. We have no trouble cleaning it off with just soap and water. :D

This is from an Edmunds.com article I found...

"Further performance benefits are gained from 13-inch Brembo front brake rotors with PBR dual-piston calipers. Rear binders feature 11.65-inch rotors with single-piston calipers and upgraded rear brake pad material."

Last edited:

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli
Hammer - isn't that Armor All Wheel Cleaner abit harsh?

I used it on my 99 Eclipse GSX's wheels (also polished aluminum, but two piece) and eventually the exposed aluminum ended up scored and dull.

Not positive it was the cleaner, but not positive it wasn't.

I reccomend simple Green (or some other VERY mild cleaner) and elbow grease.

I'm still looking for a good protectant.

I dono, man. It was recommended to me by a professional detailer that preps new cars for a local Ford dealership. And the bottle says 'safe for all wheels...blah blah blah". I've been using it for a month and everything's good so far...no damage yet. But maybe it's not good for them.

Beer's not good for your liver, caffene's no good for your blood vessels, violence on TV's not good for your kids...yada, yada yada.

I'll let you know if my wheels rot off from it.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
I ALWAYS use soap and water.....If you wouldn't spray stuff like that on your paint, then don't put it on your wheels either! :D

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread