BPS 73mm throttle body problems

crfdude86

Established Member
Was curious if anyone else was having problems after they have installed the 73mm TB and oversized plenum from BPS. I have adjusted the voltage to their specs and it still has problems. It will stick and randomly just start revving. Wrench light comes on too. Never had any problems with my 65mm ford racing TB.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That was my fear of switching to that TB, I would call BPS, I'm sure the you will help you

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Get with BPS and do not attempt to modify the TB in any way no matter what.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
All about tuning unless the blades are in fact sticking.
I had issues until the tune was modified, now no problems.
-J

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Get with BPS and do not attempt to modify the TB in any way no matter what.

+1

Speak with BPS and don't listen to a forum member that tells you to do anything else! lol

The guys at BPS will get you fixed up, but it will most likely be a tune issue as already mentioned.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
ughhhh... I had two different monoblades on my car that idled high and had a racing idle. I worked directly with Jon Lund Sr. and could never get it to idle correctly. He put it on his car and it worked fine. I put his 65 on my car and it works well (also cleared up assumptions I had a vacuum leak). I was planning to go with the BPS 73 and elbow, now this thread brings back bad memories! lol.. it seems impossible to figure out these throttle issue when a TB works fine on one car and not another.

Last edited:

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
+1

Speak with BPS and don't listen to a forum member that tells you to do anything else! lol

The guys at BPS will get you fixed up, but it will most likely be a tune issue as already mentioned.

There's something cooking in the oven at PBH along this route...ready to exploded, stay tuned :)))

BilletProShop

Established Member
Was curious if anyone else was having problems after they have installed the 73mm TB and oversized plenum from BPS. I have adjusted the voltage to their specs and it still has problems. It will stick and randomly just start revving. Wrench light comes on too. Never had any problems with my 65mm ford racing TB.

you can call us at the shop and we will review this issue
thanks

dturboman

Established Member
you're not the only one who has had this issue, I've had 3 ppl PM me about the same issue after I posted my install.

- I ended up having the same issues as you with 2 BPS throttle bodies, even with the tune adjusted. The blades in my case were making contact with the bore, they were shutting too much and making enough contact that the ECU would assume the TB was stuck, this would mostly happen during the transfer from boost to vacuum after the car has been driven for a while with the under hood temps fairly high. - In my case I did end up modifying it and after it worked perfectly and never had a single issue again, using the same exact tune that it had previously had issues with. - once it worked correctly I LOVED it. - This does not mean you should modify yours, fortunately or unfortunately I've had to do this with other TB's before on other vehicles.

BPS was good in working with me to fix the issues, I had one of the first 73mm TB's and I think they were making some changes to the second batch to make them more bolt on friendly.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Someone mentioned and i noticed too that the TB is no longer available on the BPS site. BPS, are you guys currently re-engineering the TB?

Thanks!

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Someone mentioned and i noticed too that the TB is no longer available on the BPS site. BPS, are you guys currently re-engineering the TB?

Thanks!

My understanding is due to customers & tuners not being capable to tune or not wanting to invest the time to learn how to tune this TB that they have removed it from the website. Tons of customers are calling and crying about the TB not working which they do. It's all in the tune and these guys don't make money simple put spending endless time on the phone teaching tuners how to tune so just remember this before u buy this TB. If ur local to BPS they can fix u up perfectly and do the tune for u. If ur not local well ask ur tunner if they wanna sit down for 4-8+hrs to learn and work through the issues.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
My understanding is due to customers & tuners not being capable to tune or not wanting to invest the time to learn how to tune this TB that they have removed it from the website. Tons of customers are calling and crying about the TB not working which they do. It's all in the tune and these guys don't make money simple put spending endless time on the phone teaching tuners how to tune so just remember this before u buy this TB. If ur local to BPS they can fix u up perfectly and do the tune for u. If ur not local well ask ur tunner if they wanna sit down for 4-8+hrs to learn and work through the issues.

Maybe you should reference post #10. Multiple people having issues with the workmanship on this product. Doesn't mean everything from BPS is bad, but this product in its early stages wasn't ready for prime time.

BilletProShop

Established Member
Maybe you should reference post #10. Multiple people having issues with the workmanship on this product. Doesn't mean everything from BPS is bad, but this product in its early stages wasn't ready for prime time.

Not an issue with workmanship; this product along with the rest of our lineup is top quality. Issue was having to tight of a tolerance between the blades and the bore (which has been resolved). Every issue until then is tune related and dealing with every single one is time consuming. Any future orders will be done and tuned locally only, Thanks.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Not an issue with workmanship; this product along with the rest of our lineup is top quality. Issue was having to tight of a tolerance between the blades and the bore (which has been resolved). Every issue until then is tune related and dealing with every single one is time consuming. Any future orders will be done and tuned locally only, Thanks.

No offense or anything but if you made a product that had improper tolerances then that is indeed an issue with workmanship. Instead of taking issue with being called out just admit there was a problem and that it has since been corrected.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Soooo... looks like the BPS 73 is off the table for most if you can only sell it to folks that are local and you can tune... unless you are getting into the mail order tune business. There's not a way to share the needed tune parameters with the handful of tuners that 99% of us use (Lund, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread