Bout to lose it!!!

bfletch76

Established Member
Hate to add yet another clutch noise thread to the mix but I am at a loss.
I have read just about every thread on this and replaced TOB, pilot bearing, PP, and clutch. Budget forced me to roll the dice and resurface the flywheel. The fork seemed to be in decent shape. and retainer had no signs of wear or potential for seperation.

The noise is present still and like others, it goes away when the clutch is disengaged. I am wondering now if it may be the "resurfaced" flywheel or input shaft..

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. :beer:

Thanks

bfletch76

Established Member
I put the new cable in and the fork hit the body of the trans before the clutch is disengaged. I think the flywheel has been cut too much. (this is my first stick car) Always had Fox bodies with C4's. Anyways I'm pulling it apart yet again and buying a flywheel, fork, and TOB retainer.. It has a slight wobble in the fork as well.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
The flywheel is likely not the problem, sounds like the pivot ball needs to be adjusted, although if the guy doing the flywheel resurface was a completely oblivious barbarian I guess he could have cut it to thin. It would take A LOT of cutting to give this problem. Some clutches are known to need an adjustable pivot ball, hence the reason why I asked what clutch your using. Also the fork is supposed to "wobble" slightly

Last edited:

bfletch76

Established Member
The flywheel is likely not the problem, sounds like the pivot ball needs to be adjusted, although if the guy doing the flywheel resurface was a completely oblivious barbarian I guess he could have cut it to thin. It would take A LOT of cutting to give this problem. Some clutches are known to need an adjustable pivot ball, hence the reason why I asked what clutch your using. Also the fork is supposed to "wobble" slightly

thanks for the reply.. clutch is a stock replacement through Advance Auto. I was in a hurry to get it done and that obviously backfired. LOL
So the plan is to take the trans back out and get a better clutch now that time isn't an issue. The shop who did the flywheel guaranteed it was good to go. I am definitely a rookie when it comes to a manual trans.

bfletch76

Established Member
Well I decided to take the trans back out and take a closer look. Took off the front and tail section and to my dismay I found chunks of internals... looks like 3rd gear is gone along with some syncro parts. That'll teach me to let people drive my car ever again.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I feel like if you blew your third gear out it would be MUCH more apparent. I blew out the 3rd gear on my T-5 5.0 three different times and it was very obvious. the gear was gone. Grinding and clunks were loud as hell.

bfletch76

Established Member
I feel like if you blew your third gear out it would be MUCH more apparent. I blew out the 3rd gear on my T-5 5.0 three different times and it was very obvious. the gear was gone. Grinding and clunks were loud as hell.

That's what baffled me.. It drove fine, it was just noisy as shit. I haven't been able to do a complete tear down yet just a good visual inspection, But I can definitely see the teeth are missing and sychro parts were damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread