bought me a 2.9 whipple, any suggestions before installation

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
wait wait wait.... so the oh so helpful wisdom im recieving is

- if you dont plan on going balls to the wall stick to a factory, eaton blower
- because your choosing to learn how to use the power you can easily achieve you dont need a bigger blower
- by "skimping out" on a fuel system because im choosing not to max out my whipple.... im going to blow my motor shooting for 650-675 whp :??:

maybe i was shooting a little to high with 700 whp BUT from the videos i've been seeing, people are pretty darn close without fuel mods but with a header.

but it seems like i dont need anything besides what i have, im focusing on getting that power to the ground more effeciently after its all said and done, forgetting to mention that i do daily drive my car....

thanks any way guys :beer:

Fuel is one area you don't want to cheap out on. If you can't afford to do it properly, save a few more weeks to do it right. A well thought out proper build leads to much more enjoyment. If you don't want to or can't afford to spend the money on proper fuel, you over achieved on the blower size.

+1... don't skimp out on the fuel system... or you'll be looking for a new engine....

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
"any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated"

Do what you want...I removed my post since it isn't helpful to you. Best of luck.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm no expert but upgrading your fuel system isn't just about making more power. A few hard pulls without it and your a/f seems like it will be out of whack, Kaboom.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Man forget what they say. Put it on and let's get it cracking. Let's make some HP. You should be good. Don't see why it won't work. Good luck.

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
i understand what some are saying and this isnt my first forced induction vehicle, 4th one that will only see 93 octane, two off the other 3 ran on e85 for the past 4 yrs.

bolting on a slightly larger than "suggested" turbo for the same numbers on less boost, less cylinder pressure and well, less stress over all.

i have my AEM electronic boost gauge, and AEM wideband waiting to be installed. Never have i had an issue with fueling and im hoping that my tuner, who has already tuned the vehicle without any issues so far will do just fine, again.

BAP and injectors are on the list to be picked up soon btw.

edit: thanks DIRTYO2000

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
One of the issues on your conservative tune with no bap or injectors is that you might run out of fuel or really be pushinging your pumps to their max at the top of the rpm band.

The way I look at it is do it right the first time, especially something that requires you to remove the blower to change.

Even if you need to learn the power like you posted ( i sensed some sarcasm ) you can have multiple tunes for power levels

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
lol, no im pretty serious about learning to use the power i have at the track. my other 2 subarus on e85 and 30R size turbos ran in the 11s with easy trapping mid 120s on conservative tunes.

but thats an AWD car and once i learned how the car needed to be launched, 1.7 60' was nothing with 265s all around on a 26 pound knock off rim was nothing. even if the car only hits 625 whp conservatelly ill be happy. car was damn quick with with only the 500 whp it made on HPE's dyno. i was crossing the line at TX2k12 with guys making 15-20 more whp at the same time, with the a slower 60' because they where on NT05Rs and i was on 25 psi,nitto extremes with a loaded down car because i was hauling everything i took that weekend with me.

thats why when i read the times guys are pulling off with ported eatons and well upper 500-600 whp, im pretty sure once i get a better than the FRPP suspension and some stickier tires i can be right there needing a bolt in roll cage too(i hope).

but 530-550 whp on my previous tune, 625-650 whp on the next tune is the goal now. i would really like to see what another 750-100 whp will do on this piggy on wheels.

Last edited:

pony23

Established Member
I have had lots of cars with forced induction also. This is my fifth mustang with it, one turbo, two centri's, a KB, and now a whipple. I learned never to skimp on fuel.

I'm not pushing my car to the limits with my whipple.It is a street car and that's it. I have 18lbs on a conservative Lund tune with 93 octane. I was told that the 72's should be find on their own. Found out differently when it was on the dyno. Now I need to pay for another session for the addition of the BAP.

Just giving you a heads up on what to expect.

cjgt500

Established Member
It is not about limits of power. The cfm of air you will be moving with the 2.9L Whipple even at a moderate boost level you run out of fuel from 5000+ RPM. So unless you set your rev limiter to 5000rpm you will go lean at WOT in the higher RPM bands. Perfect recipe for a blown motor...you have to pay to play.

4cyl turbo vs. 32V V8 with a near 3 Liter air pump on top...apples and oranges. We are not all saying the same thing to say it can't be done. It is the experience on this board telling you if you don't take the path shown to you we all know where you are headed...another member of the BMC.

You choose the path. Your choice/your motor. Good luck!

I detected sarcasm dirtyo2000...LOL.

Last edited:

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
okay, so looks I'm gonna wait for the install and order some injectors.

probably the FRPP 80lb and the Shelby performance fuel rails. any thought?

thanks

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
All you need is a BAP if your goal is 650-675rwhp. You do not need injectors. If you choose to push 700+ you will need larger injectors.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I heard you can hook a 9 volt battery in series with the pumps and you should be good. They're on sale at Walmart

Users who are viewing this thread