bought me a 2.9 whipple, any suggestions before installation

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
okay, so I bought myself a 09 gt500, 30k on the clock about 1 1/2 months ago. came with 2.6" pulley, metco auxiliary pulley, JLT CF intake, spec twin disk and flywheel, kook long tube headers with catted 3" x pipe, and the ford racing stinger exhaust system.

car was tuned on a diablo mafia and was said to of made 530-550 whp(dyno jet)... on HPE's dyno at 5800ish it was at 500 whp.

okay, so I just bought a used 2.9 whipple with the 3.25" pulley, AFCO dual fan H/E and L&M 66mm throttle body. thanks to Willie(don't remember his forum name).

im planning to install the oversized "factory looking" coolant tank, spark plugs along with the just purchased parts. is there anything any one suggest I purchase to meet my goal on a dynojet? I'm looking for a pretty safe 675-700 whp(if that even makes sense) on 93 octane. I'm not really trying to buy any fuel mods just yet, I don't want to risk the motor just yet.

any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
yea I bought it from willie, he is selling some 72s but that's a little over what I was trying to spend at the moment, I was hoping to some what push the stock fuel setup until i did my next set of mods in august. also when I sell my stock blower and auxiliary pulley I'm gonna use that for a amsoil complete oil change. engine, trans and rear diff, along with the plugs, and new ford racing oil filter and cooler running thermostat and some oil catch cans(driver/passenger side).

but yea I was told it has about 8-9k miles on it.

Last edited:

cjgt500

Established Member
I have read that some Whipple owners have reported their oil is black presumably from the carbon coupler in the nose. If oil through the site glass looks good then I would say you are good to go.

Concur on the 72#'s though. I can buy 72#'s new for $480 but $400 is decent price.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont remember if dynojet reads high or low....but you should easily be at 675rwhp safely

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
you will have to remove the 2.9 to get at the injectors, that's why I suggested doing it all at the same time. just an FYI.

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
I know :(

and I'm assuming CJGT500 was talking about the oil for the blower now... I didn't even look lol.... but I'm assuming it's good huh Willie?

and it's just that I had other things I wanted to pick up as well. I'm not looking to go balls to the wall just yet thats why I don't want to do fuel mods jus yet. I'll settle for 650 whp :)

pony23

Established Member
With the headers I would go with the 72's and a BAP. I don't have headers and I maxed out the pumps at 5200rpm. Also change out your fuel filter with new one, a little added insurance.

pony23

Established Member
I made 680rwhp and 653rwtq before we shut it down early. Waiting for my BAP to come in to get it retuned.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Nevermind. Good luck.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Best pre-installation advice EVER!

Put it back in the box, and ship it to:

Troy Warren
69 Whipple Heaven Lane
Faster than the ZL1, Florida OICU812

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Fuel is one area you don't want to cheap out on. If you can't afford to do it properly, save a few more weeks to do it right. A well thought out proper build leads to much more enjoyment. If you don't want to or can't afford to spend the money on proper fuel, you over achieved on the blower size.

This!

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I know :(

and I'm assuming CJGT500 was talking about the oil for the blower now... I didn't even look lol.... but I'm assuming it's good huh Willie?

and it's just that I had other things I wanted to pick up as well. I'm not looking to go balls to the wall just yet thats why I don't want to do fuel mods jus yet. I'll settle for 650 whp :)

Oil is fine. I'd say it looks like apple juice, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread