Bought a 2013 GT500... was supposed to be stock...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Great mod list.

Go through her with a fine toothed comb and you’ve got yourself a heck of a race car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

svt662

Established Member
It’s funny how some people don’t check the car out that they are interested in purchasing. Then to find out that the car has been modded...... I wish I could find some these customers, LOL

v1p3r66

It’s funny how some people don’t check the car out that they are interested in purchasing. Then to find out that the car has been modded...... I wish I could find some these customers, LOL
Well, I bought it online... and for a great deal. I didn’t have it on a lift but it did operate well ( I flew out and drove it back) so I wasn’t concerned for the price I paid.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks to have BMR Rear Links: And yes, those lock nuts need to be tightened...

Not only do the lock nuts need tightening... there are only a few threads forward and aft that are holding it together at that length. You need to shorten the UCA and check your pinion angle as soon as possible. You should target -1 degree pinion angle with solid rear bushings. Proper adjustment may also fix your clearance issue with the other components.

BMR UCA.jpg

I use these wrenches and Blue lock-tite and my UCA has never loosened on its own.

UCA Wrenches.jpg

Last edited:

svt662

Established Member
Well, I bought it online... and for a great deal. I didn’t have it on a lift but it did operate well ( I flew out and drove it back) so I wasn’t concerned for the price I paid.
I have purchased hundreds of cars of the years and have always looked under the car for oil leaks, frame damage, Ect. It’s not that hard to do no matter how much you paid for it! It’s just what you do.....

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
First post to this forum... sorry it's a long one:
I picked up a higher mileage 2013 GT500 in Grabber blue from Utah a month ago. It was supposed to be fairly stock with some JLT catch cans, deleted cats, and a tune for the cat removal.
Turns out it has a Magnum XL transmission, Watts Link with solid (no bushings) adjustable 3 link in the rear, the front shocks have been changed and front end lowered, etc. oh and it did have the catch cans, and a Moroso oil pan. Previous owner didn't know much about it I'm the 3rd owner now.

I'm curious on a few of things:
  • Has anyone ever changed the 5.8 oilpan to a Moroso? Why? I thought the stock one had more capacity. (and now this one leaks... but that's another story... I'll work on that)
  • The Watts Link or the solid three link in the rear clunks like mad, over every bump. Has anyone adjusted these, is there a proper way for the GT500? It appears the Watts Link also slightly rubs the Rear Diff cooler lines, as well. Why would you go solid 3-link and no bushings?
  • The Magnum XL locks out of 3rd gear religiously on high RPM's... I've ordered a SS clutch line. Are there any other considerations here on the Magnum? I also think the TOB is going bad as I started to get some horrible noises in the clutch area (TOB or Pilot Bearing). Are there any other concerns with Magnum XL's on this car? I just changed the fluid to Mobile-1.
  • The exhaust is overly-loud, and I'm not that old... it's loud. Has anyone removed the cats, did you add an inline muffler or resonator to eliminate droan and the extra noise? Looking for suggestions here. Appears to have the stock Ford GT500 dual tip mufflers.
  • Does anyone recognize this car? Maybe I could get some history on it. The most notable item is the Mothers Sticker on both sides of the side skirts. (grabber blue and white striped) The Moroso pan has me wondering if the engine was removed and any internals modified... I would love to know.
Joys of buying a used car... But loving the GT500! I've wanted one for years after I got the pleasure of meet Carroll 4 times at his Christmas party in the late 90's... I was hooked on his cars. So, happy to have one that had his influence!
Welcome to the forum. You might have a good one there. Hard to say without going thru it good. Does it run strong? Any misfires? Does it smoke, knock, etc.? I would definitely scope the cylinders and do a compression test, check the tune as previously suggested. Let us know what you find out.

v1p3r66

Not only do the lock nuts need tightening... there are only a few threads forward and aft that are holding it together at that length. You need to shorten the UCA and check your pinion angle as soon as possible. You should target -1 degree pinion angle with solid rear bushings. Proper adjustment may also fix your clearance issue with the other components.

View attachment 1569457

I use these wrenches and Blue lock-tite and my UCA has never loosened on its own.

View attachment 1569488

Nice catch! I had no idea that assembly was supposed to be that short.
Thanks... I’ll throw this up and get pinion angle sorted ASAP.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
And... I'm 100% Sure it's a Magnum XL now. I have the SFI bellhousing and no remote shifter the tail-section is much larger.

@biminiLX:
What clutch and throwout bearing do you run on these transmissions? Since the Magnum and the 6060 are so close is it all the same? I'm pretty sure my throwout bearing is bad (horrific noise from that area, and clutch was staying engaged too much even when pedal depressed). I will throw the car up and pull back the tranny in a couple of weeks to validate that. Are you running an adjustable throwout or just a stock GT500?
Well, now you know you have the XL, need to know what driveshaft and what clutch.
I’d pull it apart if the clutch is making noise, and if it’s got that Aftermarket oil pan, I’d drop the engine/trans to do a complete inspection. Its really not that much more plus you’ll gain a bunch of knowledge.
Good news is the aftermarket clutches are usually rebuildable cheap.
I also have a nice CF for that exact Xl/8.8 combo.
Keep us updated,good luck!
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
More pics for the curious:
View attachment 156939
Looks to have BMR Rear Links:
And yes, those lock nuts need to be tightened...
I think you're a few threads away from disaster. That link is extended way too far and the reason for your rubbing issues. Fays2 provided o-rings to be used on both sides of the Heim joints to prevent metal to metal contact and rattling. However, the o-rings are rubber and a have short life span. In my environment they dry rot over a couple of years and break apart. I'm experimenting with some Viton o-rings in hopes of a longer service life. Just seeing your points on contact, that is probable a lot of your problem, as opposed to the o-rings, but I thought I'd point that out.

Users who are viewing this thread