Bought a 03 with a few of issues

dmaxxx

Established Member
I bought a 03 cobra with a few problems and need some help with it, first off, when you start the car it stumbles and bogs and acts like it is gonna die for a few sec then just idles normal and runs great, #2 its leaking oil from the weep hole on the oil cooler it starts out leaking pretty bad but as the engine warms it slows to a drop or goes away, I'm gonna try to tighten the oil filter shaft and see if that helps, #3 it will drip a few small drips from the diff. Also this car has sit way more than its been drove, probably has 2k to 3k miles on it in the last 4 years, it has had new tune and plugs around 2 years ago and only around 800 miles since tune,Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The oil cooler is probably the o-ring getting bigger as it warms up. Tightening the shaft might help, but I'd plan on rebuilding the cooler.

As for the rest, you should probably do a tune up. Clean the MAF sensor and replace the plugs. And the fuel filter as well.

The diff cover is probably loose. You might get lucky and just need to tighten it. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the center section to seal the cover. At that point you might as well upgrade the cover.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Last edited:

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
One thing about these terminator . And I learn this years before I even own a terminator . That these fuel filter require to change out every 15k . Stay with motorcraft fuel filter . Since I put 1000k a years . It will last me 10 years

hotcobra03

Established Member
for the start issue..compression test on warm engine.

i had cyl 6..drop valve seat.. this is how car would start on 7 cyl.

it was like an older carb vechicle,you would have to hold gas for a few than it would idle..

car ran ok at 1st with just a miss here and there,till it got bad enough you knew something was wrong.

car had about 60k at this time

dmaxxx

Established Member
The starting issues happens whether the engine is cold or warm and I'm really hoping its a problem because it's just been sitting so much, it does act like a carb but if you touch the gas pedal the engine doesn't respond, almost acts as if is flooding then clears up and runs fine.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I agree with starting out with the simple things first. Tune up to include new spark plugs, cleaning MAF, new air and fuel filters and clean injectors (due to sitting). Possibly replace the coil packs.

I did a tune up on my F-150, just because of the miles on the vehicle (It was running fine). I replaced the plugs and coil packs. After the tune up it developed a miss. I figured everything was new so it had to be something else.

Took it to the dealer and they discovered the miss was in cylinder 2. They moved the plug to cylinder 6 and the coil pack to cylinder 4. Miss moved to cylinder 6. So, they determined it was a faulty plug. Installed new plug and miss went away and truck ran great.

So, just because something was replaced does not mean it's not the problem.

Not saying this is your case, but something to think about.

Here is a write up on changing the fuel filter (if you need it).
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/fuel-filter-change-writeup-13-pics.260804/

Last edited:

bigwave

Established Member
I just got my 03 back together from new rear bushings, Ford Racing diff cover, did fuel filter as well, even though it only had 2000 miles on it. Also upgraded to 14mm bolts on front and the pan head bolts on the rear of the IRS cradle attachment points. All fresh in my mind if you have a question. I could do it now in 1/4 the time.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
How much was for labor to change out rear diff cover

If you have jack stands, a jack, basic tools you can do it yourself. It’s not that hard. I almost was gonna take mine some where but followed a thread here and did it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Can you link me to that thread . My preview owner did everything that you did . Accept he dint change the rear diff cover . I just want add the cover just for knowing it’s easy to change the fluid now

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

zredfire04

Established Member
On the start issue, it could be dirty maf. Could also be an issue with the iac...which could be tune related I'd the idle strategy is lacking. Just because it was tuned 800 miles ago it doesn't mean the tune is good.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The oil cooler is probably the o-ring getting bigger as it warms up. Tightening the shaft might help, but I'd plan on rebuilding the cooler.

As for the rest, you should probably do a tune up. Clean the MAF sensor and replace the plugs. And the fuel filter as well.

The diff cover is probably loose. You might get lucky and just need to tighten it. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the center section to seal the cover. At that point you might as well upgrade the cover.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

What he said. Rear leak could also be a pinion seak

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You may as well provide some more info that might help with diagnosis of issues.
How many miles on the engine?
What are your engine mods?

As recommended from @hotcobra03, do a compression test. I also recommend you do a leak down test.

dmaxxx

Established Member
the car has 56k on it and has the basic mods of pulley and cai, it has bigger injectors and I think it has a ported eaton but i'm not exactly sure on that, it has a steigemeier sticker on the charger so I assumed it was ported and the guy I got it from doesn't really know much about it except he had the injectors installed and tuned at kurgans.

dmaxxx

Established Member
Does anyone know the torque specs on the shaft that the oil filter screws onto? I checked mine and it was really lose.

bigmoose

Established Member
Your startup issue could just be from a PPRV delete. You might have that considering your mods. Try this - cycle the key a few times before you attempt to start. If it starts clean after doing this it's just a annoying side effect of the PPRV delete.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Does anyone know the torque specs on the shaft that the oil filter screws onto? I checked mine and it was really lose.
this was loose due to a bad gasket.
block to oil cooler.
may be part of reason for oil leak..
very common..

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/svt_documents.htm

scroll down..03 service manual..

short version works on cell..you will never need to ask about how tight,how do I remove it,
best 2 min download worth thousands ..

the full pc version, is a must..

this has everything..
I was a 1st timer doing repairs on mine after warranty ran out,,70k hit 2ND yr we had car..
since05..I've done complete engine removal,disassemble,and install in driveway..
did tob,and rear end,,
very easy car to work on..
if you use the manual..

Users who are viewing this thread