Bottom end questions

Crazyredsvt

Established Member
I know these cars anything over 800rwhp is in risk of detonation. I just want it to be safe and not destroy my block. what crank and rods are better or what’s best to do I’m not to familiar with this. I’m not looking to go balls out either I’m just looking to make it safe and see 4 digits :)

RBB

Established Member
I know these cars anything over 800rwhp is in risk of detonation. I just want it to be safe and not destroy my block. what crank and rods are better or what’s best to do I’m not to familiar with this. I’m not looking to go balls out either I’m just looking to make it safe and see 4 digits :)
The rods are the weak point. You could probably safely push to 1,000 just by replacing those. I'd do OPGs, pistons, and timing components while it was open, though, just to be on the safe side.

That said, I don't care how strong the components you're building with are, they're not going to save you from detonation. You'll put a hole in your block with some billet I beams just as easily as you will with the stock powdered forged rods if you're detonating. If that's your concern then you need to go with some better quality fuel or octane booster, expensive hardware won't save you.

Crazyredsvt

Established Member
The rods are the weak point. You could probably safely push to 1,000 just by replacing those. I'd do OPGs, pistons, and timing components while it was open, though, just to be on the safe side.

That said, I don't care how strong the components you're building with are, they're not going to save you from detonation. You'll put a hole in your block with some billet I beams just as easily as you will with the stock powdered forged rods if you're detonating. If that's your concern then you need to go with some better quality fuel or octane booster, expensive hardware won't save you.
I’m going to run ignite E90!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If your going to spend the money on rods then make sure to do pistons too. The crank should be fine, but doesnt hurt to double key it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So what is the basic rod and piston set up to run on the 5.8.
Depends if you intend to sleeve your block or just drop in new rods and pistons. I know JDM engineering has a nice rod and piston combo they sell for the stock 5.8 bore.

RBB

Established Member
RBB did you ever bump up your HP levels? And are you still running 93 or did you switch over to corn?
I'm running a Mach 116 tune at the track, car made just shy of 1,100 rwhp on that one with the first gen Gen3....really thinking about swapping over to the R.

I never put it on the dyno for the 93 tune on the Gen3 blower. Seeing as how it made 780 on a Trinity TVS I'm sure it picked up another 40-50 HP or so. No signs of detonation without any octane booster, but I add a little bit just to be safe. That said I'm making less than 14lbs of boost at redline in street trim, tops 16lbs. Timing is low as well, 14* from what I recall....tuner just does not feel comfortable adding any more timing or boost with the load values being so high.

If you're making 800+hp on 93 octane you're at the upper limits of what's reasonable, you just don't have enough octane. Switch fuels or add octane booster, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I really like using the stuff due to issues with deposits, etc.

Imatk

Established Member
I'm assuming this is for a drag car. Hell I can't hook with MPSS and fairly stock boost.

Can't imagine how much spin would be induced by 800+

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, the thought of safe and four digits, should be spelled $$$afe.
My advice is learn to use 800rwhp while saving for a proper shortblock.
You can throw billet OPGs and JDM rods and reuse all other components, I guess, if you want to go complete low budget.
If you’re running E90, save for a 11:1 shortblock with cams.
My friend and tuner is building a nice 5.8 shortblock that can still be built to suit.
It’ll cost under $10k, so a few thousand off the big shop rates.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That would be Lidio, owner of Alternative Auto, just tell him James said to contact him. He’s Building the spare 5.8 he had on hand. He’s selling his built black ‘13 coupe also.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, how many 900+ whp cars have you driven?

What are your goals for the car?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mrrpm

Established Member
Power can be made with straight pump 93, it all depends on the combination you put together.
I'm at 1189 on the hub dyno, straight 93 from Walmart, built bottom end, heads, cams, 4.5l Whipple, low inlet temps.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Power can be made with straight pump 93, it all depends on the combination you put together.
I'm at 1189 on the hub dyno, straight 93 from Walmart, built bottom end, heads, cams, 4.5l Whipple, low inlet temps.
It can, but it’s a big handicap and makes the tuning window tighter/more risky.
Basically, you’ll need to tightly focus on intake temps and the easiest way to make power on pump gas is big displacement and large compressors on low boost.
Take your same pump gas 93 octane combo, add E85 and you’ll be up 50hp guaranteed, even without a timing increase. With high boost and added timing, the same 93 combo will be down significantly compared to E85/race fuel.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread