Boss with '13 GT500 Quad Tip Mufflers

Jabooh1

Established Member
Boss with '13 GT500 Quad Tip Mufflers Sound Clip

Ok guys... I recently did the conversion from OEM Boss mufflers to the 2013 GT500 quad tips. I love the look and the sound difference is a plus as well. It was a really easy install and not that expensive. The mufflers came from Rehagen Racing (2013-2014 OEM Mustang SVT Shelby GT500 Quad Exhaust Mufflers) at $335 shipped an the valance came from Tousley Ford (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)) for about $195 shipped (part number DR3Z-17F828-AB). I was able to reuse all clips so no cost there. So for $530 the change was definitely worth it! Much cheaper than the 'kit' from AM.

The mufflers were a PITA to get out and in. My advice is take the valance off first then wiggle the mufflers out. Should take a good hour or so.

I did my best to parse together a decent sound clip of the before an after. It includes Idle, 2k, 4k, and 7k revs. It was taken with my iPhone 4S.

Here it is....
Comparison between 2013 Boss 302 Mufflers and GT500 Quad Tip Mufflers - YouTube

As you can tell the GT500 are a good bit deeper, a little louder, and in my opinion much better. The look is awesome! There is almost no drone at 2k cruising on the freeway and a nice purr at 80mph.

I hope this helps others on deciding what exhaust to change to. I could never find a good comparison clip of the OEM and GT500 quad's.

ENJOY!!

~Paul
Rocking the 6 Tip Exhaust!!!!

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member

ExTurbo

Established Member
i realize its too late now, but taking the mufflers off was a lot easier by removing the bracket holding the rear hangers in place....i struggled with mine for 20 minutes before i decided to take them off the bracket...15 minutes later i had both mufflers on the ground.

Anyway it sounds great!

Jabooh1

Established Member
I actually cut the nipple off the old muffler hanger tubing so it would hang up on it. The new ones slide right in. It is also easier if you take the valance off first.

The reflectors move from on the body to on the valance.

I think cutting is only needed on V6's and GT's.

Jabooh1

Established Member
null_zpsa7006371.jpg

null_zps8bda83b8.jpg

null_zpsb9c62da5.jpg

null_zpsd1326184.jpg

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
got it done this morning with a stainless works cat back.....but of course its a rainy, overcast day so I'll post pics later

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
A little off topic here but are the gray stripes on the black LS reflective as well? I always thought the stripes on the black LS were the same color as other 13's but that is clearly a gray color, right?

Btw wikdlx, no excuses let's see it meow!

GottaBoss

Established Member
i realize its too late now, but taking the mufflers off was a lot easier by removing the bracket holding the rear hangers in place....i struggled with mine for 20 minutes before i decided to take them off the bracket...15 minutes later i had both mufflers on the ground.!

Same here. Yes, the trick is to remove the brackets and mufflers together and put them back on together - it makes things go MUCH more quickly and easily!

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Same here. Yes, the trick is to remove the brackets and mufflers together and put them back on together - it makes things go MUCH more quickly and easily!

I'm the opposite. In the 4 or 5 times I've switched axle backs I found it easier to just WD-40 the hangers and pull them out. Give me a 15mm/13mm socket and WD-40 and I'll have them switched in 10 mins

Users who are viewing this thread