Boss vs Shelby

manOwar

Established Member
I've had the time to run two tanks of gas through the Boss... My thoughts are it's a great car.... But, the GT500 in my case is the winner!!

The Boss is great on the road, it pulls hard and sounds good. But, it's weak until it hits 5k RPM's... At 5k, she pulls hard but not like the GT500.

The GT500 with the KB is king!! The Boss is all stock and my GT500 makes just under 1000hp..... But, the Boss does not have the potential to get there in my opinion.... it's the wifes car for sure!

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
If you go twisty, the Boss is hands down better vs the GT 500, especially the 07-09's, stock to stock.

With the Evolution KB Boss laying down north of 800 WHP, it may be a different game as well.... in the straight line.

Mike

12C/OBoss

Established Member
The Boss is great on the road, it pulls hard and sounds good. But, it's weak until it hits 5k RPM's... At 5k, she pulls hard but not like the GT500.

But, the Boss does not have the potential to get there in my opinion.... it's the wifes car for sure!

read this Someone's Boss...with a Kenne Bell and 18psi!! Could it be mine?? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

:poke:I believe if you had a KB on your Boss you would feel completely different:coolman:

BTW the only thing my car needs is a lowered and stiffer stance, some gauges, and projector style HID lamps like from GT500 and it would be my perfect car:beer:

If you are ever near PA you are welcome to come for a test drive btw...but only if i can come check out all your crazy stangs!!:)

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
faster is often dependant on conditions. road course or drag strip. short and twisty road course like mid ohio or full throttle long road course like vir or road america.

frankly i am not sure what the value of 1000whp is in a street car anyway, but thats just me.

908ssp

Established Member
Did you read the KB article? It makes the 400+ with race fuel. Plus we have no idea how long that motor will last because it is not built as strong as the GT500 motor is.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Did you read the KB article? It makes the 400+ with race fuel. Plus we have no idea how long that motor will last because it is not built as strong as the GT500 motor is.

how is it not as strong. Read the article about the road runner engine in 5.0...it's a very stout motor. All forged internals and the ability to rev to 7500 on a daily basis.:banana:

Now mine, on the other hand...:shrug: We will see how she lasts!! I rev it to only about 7000 btw, no need to go to 7500 anymore. I am getting it dynoed next week with the detuned 11 psi and Lund's super ultra safe track day tune( very low timing advance, fans on 100% at 170, etc) on 93 with a little Torco to be safe:beer:

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member

You think the OPs GT500 makes 900-1000hp on pump?:bs:
And the Road Runner motor is plenty strong, just how long it will last at crazy power levels is anyone's guess. But there is no denying that with boost they are at least as capable as Condor motor and handle better out of the box.;-)

chuckstang

Established Member
the boss is putting down much better 1/4 times with much less hp and mods not to mention beating them on the road course as well.

Plus, as far as hp goes the boss can take it as well so I think you can keep trying to tell yourself GT500 > Boss but the stats just don't justify it :/

You are biased because your GT500 is making like you said stupid power

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
My 2007 Shelby GT500 was a great car, I loved it. But on the track, it was like wrestling a Hippopotamus. That car did NOT want to go around corners. But................it would go in a straight line like hell wouldn't have it!

The Boss 302S has about 100 less RWHP and weighs approximately 500# less. The cornering capability of the S compared to the GT500 is like comparing apples to sheet metal screws. No comparison. On identical tires and hotter ambient temps for the Boss, the Boss beat the Shelby's best Road America lap time by five seconds.

Weight is a buzzkill on the track. :(

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

redline

Established Member
faster is often dependant on conditions. road course or drag strip. short and twisty road course like mid ohio or full throttle long road course like vir or road america.

frankly i am not sure what the value of 1000whp is in a street car anyway, but thats just me.

hmmmm i think 1000 hp is only equal to bragging rights .

cloud9

Established Member
My 2007 Shelby GT500 was a great car, I loved it. But on the track, it was like wrestling a Hippopotamus. That car did NOT want to go around corners. But................it would go in a straight line like hell wouldn't have it!

The Boss 302S has about 100 less RWHP and weighs approximately 500# less. The cornering capability of the S compared to the GT500 is like comparing apples to sheet metal screws. No comparison. On identical tires and hotter ambient temps for the Boss, the Boss beat the Shelby's best Road America lap time by five seconds.

FWIW

My "street" Boss is already 2.62 seconds faster than my GT500 on the big course at BIR and I'm giving up 200 RHWP in the Boss at only 300# less!

manOwar

Established Member
read this Someone's Boss...with a Kenne Bell and 18psi!! Could it be mine?? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

:poke:I believe if you had a KB on your Boss you would feel completely different:coolman:

BTW the only thing my car needs is a lowered and stiffer stance, some gauges, and projector style HID lamps like from GT500 and it would be my perfect car:beer:

If you are ever near PA you are welcome to come for a test drive btw...but only if i can come check out all your crazy stangs!!:)

Deal, I was one of the cars headed to PA for the magazine shoot in 07 for the fastest GT500 in the county.... We'll get there again or you can come south and show us what you got....

Fixed for you...your wife's car will be faster than your GT500!:poke:

I'm sure it will.... but not if I'm funding it!!:lol:

the boss is putting down much better 1/4 times with much less hp and mods not to mention beating them on the road course as well.

Plus, as far as hp goes the boss can take it as well so I think you can keep trying to tell yourself GT500 > Boss but the stats just don't justify it :/

Chuck, you never fail to impress me with you knowledge!!! How's the GT doing?

FWIW

Bruce, you are correct. However, I don't get to drive like you do. I lived overseas watching your vids driving the GT500..... the whole time I could not drive mine. I have no doubt the Boss will out handle the GT500 but I like raw power!! Ya know?

hmmmm i think 1000 hp is only equal to bragging rights .

You sir, are correct!!! Care to line up?

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Just out of curiousity, how does the SVT Performance Package GT500 compare in the handling department to the Boss Mustang? Both of these cars from what I unserstand turn over 1.0g on the skidpad. I have seen the road test comparisons and most of the results show that the GT500 is marginally faster but has much more power. We know it is heavier.

I like the GT500 a bit more as a car to live with daily because I like electronic gadgets, navigation, etc but I still live to drive on the track. I don't like the manufacturer to decide for what my car is intended. The Boss's role has been decided for you......focused for the road course and lack comfort options.

What does the GT500 give up to the Boss?

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Kind of a silly comparison in the first place as you are comparing stock to modified. Take that out of the picture and you are still comparing apples to oranges. Both are great cars in their own rights.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member

Maybe better quarter mile times relative to horsepower, but I am pretty sure the fastest tire only GT500 is a good bit faster than any tire only Boss. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread