Boss newb questions

dlaude

Established Member
Hey all - I may be purchasing a Boss in a couple months and had a couple questions since I'm not too familiar with them.

Anything out of the ordinary to look for when buying a used one?

What is the Track Key all about? Does it need to be activated? Should I only be worried about if it is included or not?

What is all included in the Owners Kit? From searching, I think it's the following items, but just wanted to confirm: key fob, VIN specific Certificate of Authenticity on the car, collectible posters, Boss302 hardcover book, and DVD.

I'm familiar with Mustangs (I've owned a handful or so, including a '14 GT so I know the basics), but the Bosses are different to me, mostly for the above reasons. Just want to do my research so I'm an informed consumer when it comes time. Any info helps! Thanks!

FKing1

Established Member
You have the owners kit correct.
Trackey most likely will have been included and activated. If not, will have to buy the software and have installed by a Ford Dealer.
It is a Red Key that activates many engine parameters good for racing or spirited street driving.
The 13's have a few more features than the 12's such as Sync, LED headlights ,different side stripes and several things.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
If you decide to go with a 2012, check out the VCT connectors. If they have the smaller, older connectors, then the car may go into limp mode due to connector vibrations.

IMG_5558_zpsu1ewymn5.jpg

IMG_5556_zpswehtpl12.jpg

Pics taken from following thread, more info here
http://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10271.0

Personally, I like the 2013 look a little better and the extra fixes/features are worth it.

Based on memory, what you listed is all I remember being included in the owner's kit. I guess you should also look if it had the two options as well, the recaro/torsen and the car cover/floor mat options.

The cars come with two keys, one gray and one red. The track key tune has to be purchased and loaded on the car, or the red key acts as a regular key.

IMO, the tune is worth it, unless you're set on modifying and tuning it. As mentioned, the track key tune changes some parameters, it doesn't add any power, but it changes the characteristics of the car. My favorite features are the engine breaking (which is quite effective at the track) and the lopey idle/decel pop (which turns heads on the street). The tune does hurt your MPG a little bit... if that's a concern.

Last edited:

dlaude

Established Member
Awesome thanks guys! Oh okay, I had read that the key needed to be activated, but I didn't know you had to buy the tune for it.

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards a 13 for the couple of minor differences, and I'm a huge fan of the GHIG color. I prefer the '12 front end though, wonder if anyone has put a '12 front end onto a '13, while retaining the LEDs haha.

Thanks again for the help, that answered all my (current) questions perfectly!

If anything thinks of other maintenance type issues to look for (aside from the MT82 issues, I'm familiar with those) such as the connector thing above, feel free to mention them.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Some race teams have gone back and forth with 12 and 13 front ends, so it should all bolt up. You may have to change hoods as well... So apart from headlights and fenders, you may have to swap bumper, grill and hood.

azazell64

Established Member
I'll just throw this in here as additional information of which you are likely familiar with having previously owned the 14 GT. The MT-82 is something of a weak point, you can check if they have done anything to help the transmission out such as the MGW Race spec shifter or BF Racing bracket. Also maybe the helper spring, braided clutch line, clutch improvements over stock, etc. Also thinking back on it, the taillights are different between 12 to 13 as well being LED vs Non Led. Also if looking at a 13, a few of us have noticed that the stripes on the hood where they meet the bumper do not exactly line up, they were this way from factory and not necessarily indicative of being in an accident.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Make sure to find a Boss with the Torsen/Recaro option package. There are several floating around where the original owner did not order it with that option. The Torsen is a must.

cobra1718

Established Member
You probably be very lucky to get the owners kit from these dealerships on a used Boss. Those items tend to get lost by dealerships. Sometimes the original owners keep a few things. I bought a used 12 and had a hellava time even getting the owners manual.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Double post....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 568
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

GotGrunt

Established Member
Although the look of the 12 vs 13 can be very subjective, the HID headlights, SYNC, and track apps on the 13 sealed the deal for me. Definitely get one with the Recaro/Torsen option as previously mentioned.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Your car looks killer! How's the ground clearance with the sportlines?

I have never scraped anything... Way better than my C5 which is down on lowing bolts that hits everything.

FKing1

Established Member
Love the lowered look of the Sportlines.
My H&R Sports are good in front but not as much as I'd like in the rear.IMAG0005.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread