Boss 302 vs R8 4.2

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
On Sunday I was up around 6:45 am for some reason, so I decided to head down to my favorite breakfast/pastry place. On the way, there is a stretch of road that has 3 very wide lanes and is almost arrow straight for about 2 miles, with only 1 light in the middle for a sparsely travelled road that T's into it.

Anyway, I got caught at the first light before this straight section starts, and there is a silver Audi R8 4.2 sitting there. The exhaust tips were definitely aftermarket, as they were thicker & chrome, but still the quad circles. Driver was about 40, with a girl in the passenger seat. When I pulled up, he looked over, dropped his window, and blipped the throttle. I returned the favor, and we got ready. When the light turned, he got a better launch than me; I popped the clutch too quickly and got wheelspin. I feathered the gas, grabbed traction quickly. By this time his rear wheel was at my front bumper. I didn't mind as I got to clearly hear his aftermarket exhaust. Amazing! I made up a foot through 1st, nailed the shift to 2nd at 7500, and pulled. By the top of 2nd, he was half a car behind me. 7500, into 3rd, and I pulled over a car through 3rd. Same through 4th. I let off around the middle of 5th, with him about 4-5 lengths behind. He slowed as soon as I tapped the brakes, pulled up, and him & his girl gave me a big thumbs up, then sped off. I must say, between my car & his, it would have been tough to get a more glorious sounding race! :rockon:

Now I had seen a Veloster Turbo back at the T-intersection in the middle of this street, but didn't think anything of it. At the end of this long road, there is one light (which the Audi turned right at), then a 1/4 mile til a sprawling shopping center on both sides of the road. The Veloster got next to me at that light an proceeded to rev it up. This guy was definitely in his 40s. I looked over and said "Are you sure? Did you see that I was just beating an R8?" I was wasn't sarcastic or snide at all, because I know some people just want to see a car run. He responded with "Go **** yourself!" and when the light turned, he did his best burn out, or the best 201 overrated Hyundai horsepower will manage.

I laughed and just went at a normal pace, as this center is teeming with cops. Sure enough, he was pulled over just past the center, and was actually out of the car & cuffed on the curb. I had a great laugh at that.

Then the drive ended with pancakes, bacon, eggs, and the best cinnamon roll I've ever had. It might have been more awesome than beating an R8! :p

T.O.Snake

Established Member
So a 40+ year old driving a veloster told you to **** yourself, tried racing, got pulled over, and the driver was taken out and cuffed....and you saw all that in the time span of you driving alongside him? Did the cop reach his arm in the dude's window and magically yank him out while he was flying by and immediately cuff him?

The R8 story I could easily believe. Should've stopped there rather than entering fantasyville for the sake of a "cool" story.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Seemingly odd that you enjoyed the "cinnamon roll" more than the adrenalin rush of beating Audi's top dog!!!! We're gonna have to see your "MANCARD' sir.... and pic of said cinnamon roll.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I loathe the crowd that buys those Velosters. Most of them are ignorant to performance cars and don't realize that their "race car" is actually a boring economy car in a fancy wrapper. I can't wait for the first opportunity to embarass one of those.

Established Member
Nice kill on the R8!! They sound awesome but not a big fan of the styling.

And lol at the Veloster...I heard that Hyundai dealerships are adding $2k on top of the MSRP for that car. And the crazy thing is that some people are actually paying the markup!! For a Hyundai!!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Veloster-Turbo? Really told you to go **** yourself? The he got pulled over...and arrested...priceless.

I bet the judge does a double take when he hears the car the guy was driving.

Reckless driving in a Veloster???? Is that possible?

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
nice kill! I love BOSSs....but the Veloster story was kinda odd....

Nice kill on the R8! They are definitely not the fastest exotics with "only" 420 hp, but man they do sound nice and the handling and interior are second to none. I would really like to try driving one of the V10s some day and see what it's all about.

Poor guy with his GF in the front can't believe he dropped a buck-thirty only to get beat by a Mustang. Priceless! :D

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
So a 40+ year old driving a veloster told you to **** yourself, tried racing, got pulled over, and the driver was taken out and cuffed....and you saw all that in the time span of you driving alongside him? Did the cop reach his arm in the dude's window and magically yank him out while he was flying by and immediately cuff him?

The R8 story I could easily believe. Should've stopped there rather than entering fantasyville for the sake of a "cool" story.

No need to enter fantasyville. Sorry, should have explained better. This is a sprawling outdoor mall thing that runs for over 3/4 mile, and kind of S-curves around with many stop signs & lights. It seriously takes 10-15 minutes to get though that stretch. The Veloster business happened nearly a 1/4 mile before that, and I sure wasn't going to go quick; as I said the place has lots of cops, especially and a Sunday morning.

I was thinking of leaving it out, because the situation was so stupid I couldn't believe it! Wouldn't be surprised if alcohol was involved.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member

He said the guy took off and he did not, he just went at a normal pace, hence why the guy was ahead of him. Do I need to explain Netwons second law to you? How about physics and velocity?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
He said the guy took off and he did not, he just went at a normal pace, hence why the guy was ahead of him. Do I need to explain Netwons second law to you? How about physics and velocity?

So even if the guy in the veloster took off at WOT, and the OP putt putted along, I guess the Hyundai must've gotten a few MILES ahead, so that there would have been time for him to get stopped.....talked to by the cops for awhile....then eventually cuffed - all so the OP would actually see this by the time he (finally) passed by. But wait - the OP said the shopping center with the cops was only 1/4 mile away, and that he, himself, was driving at a "normal pace", so not crawling.

So wow, in the span of a 1/4 mile, the cops stopped the Hyundai, presumably spoke with the driver, and cuffed him - all so the OP saw it happen. Let's assume "normal driving" would allow you to cover that 1/4 mile in, say, 30 seconds? Fast cops! :eek:

So while you're explaining physics.....do I need to explain the concept of a realistic story to you?

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
If they arrested him and put him on the curb, I'm sure there wasn't much talking going on other than his maranda rights. They aren't going to ask him if he wants to be cuffed or not.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
So even if the guy in the veloster took off at WOT, and the OP putt putted along, I guess the Hyundai must've gotten a few MILES ahead, so that there would have been time for him to get stopped.....talked to by the cops for awhile....then eventually cuffed - all so the OP would actually see this by the time he (finally) passed by. But wait - the OP said the shopping center with the cops was only 1/4 mile away, and that he, himself, was driving at a "normal pace", so not crawling.

So wow, in the span of a 1/4 mile, the cops stopped the Hyundai, presumably spoke with the driver, and cuffed him - all so the OP saw it happen. Let's assume "normal driving" would allow you to cover that 1/4 mile in, say, 30 seconds? Fast cops! :eek:

So while you're explaining physics.....do I need to explain the concept of a realistic story to you?

Please see my last post.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Nice kill on the R8! They are definitely not the fastest exotics with "only" 420 hp, but man they do sound nice and the handling and interior are second to none. I would really like to try driving one of the V10s some day and see what it's all about.

Poor guy with his GF in the front can't believe he dropped a buck-thirty only to get beat by a Mustang. Priceless! :D

Thanks. I knew I should've beat him, but it was still exhilarating since the R8 is still an exotic. As gorgeous as they are, if it were my money, I'd go the same direction you did and grab a 911 Turbo.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
If they arrested him and put him on the curb, I'm sure there wasn't much talking going on other than his maranda rights. They aren't going to ask him if he wants to be cuffed or not.

I assumed the same thing. I'm guessing he blew through some stop signs & red lights with families walking & driving around, which is not going to make for a friendly, talkative cop.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I assumed the same thing. I'm guessing he blew through some stop signs & red lights with families walking & driving around, which is not going to make for a friendly, talkative cop.

Alright, with some of those details it now makes more sense. The mall was 1/4 mile ahead but the guy might have blown by it and through lights/signs over that 3/4 mile distance it sprawls. Obviously, I could see a cop pulling a guy over and cuffing him quickly in that sort of scenario.

Sorry if my BS meter got pegged quickly. Just seems like there are more and more outlandish stories being posted by people on message boards these days.

Users who are viewing this thread