Boss 302 Intake manifold tuned on a 5.0 already

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
It was on another forum so i am simply going to copy/paste. This matched to a centrifugal blower, and good tune, looks like a unbelievable combo.

----------------
"We had very limited time on the dyno with this car today due to a previous family function but I wanted to share the intial results.

Attached is the dyno sheets showing our best run with the stock manifold, dynatech LT's with catless mids, JLT CAI and our tuning against the same combination with the Boss 302 Intake manifold.

I know these arent the peak numbers everyone including myself were hoping for but for an initial dyno session with a new intake manifold they are very promising especially after 6500 rpms. More tuning will be done and more results are forthcoming thats for sure.

One thing you will notice more then anything else is how this manifold doesnt give up making power where the stock one falls on its face at 6500 RPMs. There is a 52hp gain at 7200rpms and thats why this combination feels like it pulls so hard, it just keeps on pulling.

I made a few changes to try and gain back some of the low to midrange torque and picked up a tad but considering that the Boss is rated 10ftlbs lower then the stock 5.0 I dont expect much of a gain with this intake when all is said and done.

I will continue to work on the calibration to try and find more midrange power and more peak power as well but so far I am incredibly impressed with how hard this car pulls and huge gains where the stock intake gives up.

Cant wait to hit the track thats for sure.

Thanks again everyone,

JJ

attachment.php

Quote:
The losses down low are not even noticeable and when you shift your car higher, stick or auto, you get placed into the next gear at a higher rpm where the gains are realized so you will be quicker.

Also keep in mind that we are in the infancy of the tuning with this combination and for an untouched 5.0 motor that doesnt have the porting or different exhaust cams/valves we are seeing great gains above the normal redline so it can only get better from here.

These are initial results and can be improved upon.

JJ

--------
Quote:
Check the graphs again. It picked up 52hp at 7250rpms, not at 7500.
There is even a 33hp gain at 6800 rpms and once we work on the little dip up top it will be even more of a gain.

I will be pulling the car to 8k to see if it is still making power beyond 7500.

I dont know where your located but I'd be happy to take you for a ride, it would totally change your mind. Ford didnt put an "oh jesus" handle in this car for the passenger but I think as hard as it keeps pulling up top someone should.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
So this manifold really shines in the upper rpms, but my question is, how much rpm can the stock rods in the coyote handle?
The rods in the boss 302 are upgraded to handle rpms beyond 7,000. That is why I ask.

ViciousJay

Established Member
6500 looks to be the place to shift this beast, no need for the extra 500 rpms and loss of TQ. but I may stand corrected after they do more testing, id like to see them start with a bone stock car and go from there.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
So this manifold really shines in the upper rpms, but my question is, how much rpm can the stock rods in the coyote handle?
The rods in the boss 302 are upgraded to handle rpms beyond 7,000. That is why I ask.

7300 all day every day. that is the tested continuous rpm.

JL-KA

Established Member
6500 looks to be the place to shift this beast, no need for the extra 500 rpms and loss of TQ. but I may stand corrected after they do more testing, id like to see them start with a bone stock car and go from there.

Agreed. No need to push it that hard. Just shift at ~6350 and you're golden.

stang1971

Established Member
taken off a post on s197forum.com:

I talked to a dealership today. The part number shows available 3/14/11 and costs $258 without any discounts.

Kevinz00GT

Established Member
Damn didn't realize they were marked up that high at American muscle lol......$258 is dirt cheap for a better OEM replacement intake!!!

RSKtakR

Established Member
dont count on the arrival/ship date to be 3/14 though..it will be on back order soon and not make that date is waht Im told.. I have been talking w/ Mike at Tousley Ford Parts for the past 3 weeks.. also there is the Ford intake, and the Ford Racing intake w/ 2 different part numbers.. no one knows for sure just yet what parts will come w/ either intake if any..
7500 rpm shifts are right around the corner :)

Last edited:

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I'm guessing you can get a heck or a lot more out of it. I wonder if the torque management is still on.
The chart is almost exactly the same between 5.5 and 6.5k

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the rods in the boss 302 are upgraded to handle 8000+ actually! the track key bumps the RPMs up around there.
guys have been running the GT up around 7000 since the car came out, so i wouldn't be concerned.
Agreed. No need to push it that hard. Just shift at ~6350 and you're golden.
nope, you actually want to shift at your HP peak. the TQ peak is somewhat irrelevant because the torque output at a higher RPM in a given gear will be greater than the output at any RPM in the next gear...
Horsepower vs torque
...it's not just about the engine, gotta take the transmission into consideration.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
nope, you actually want to shift at your HP peak. the TQ peak is somewhat irrelevant because the torque output at a higher RPM in a given gear will be greater than the output at any RPM in the next gear...
Horsepower vs torque
...it's not just about the engine, gotta take the transmission into consideration.

which seems to be at 6500

Users who are viewing this thread