Boss 302 fog light delete?

chico_mustangs

Established Member
chico: that looks pretty good, any chance to get a better close up??

I guess all the grills like roush and saleen allow for better airflow to the box?

I actually pulled it off and have a Roush grill now. I will try to take a pic of the grill out of the car but I don't know if the mesh will show up in pics.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
And far worse aerodynamics and fuel economy.

Ford strategically sealed off certain sections of the stock GT and Boss 302 grille for a reason.

I am not understanding why everyone assumes the Roush and other completely open grilles are better.

chuck@evolution- Do you see the boss 302 grille being more restrictive than the factory GT grille with fogs?

This and cooling issues. Almost every guy I know with an S197 that has an open grill, tends to overheat on track. My theory on this has to do with airflow getting around the shroud and creating a high pressure zone behind the radiator. That's just a theory though.

wbt

Banned

Ford strategically sealed off certain sections of the stock GT and Boss 302 grille for a reason.

I am not understanding why everyone assumes the Roush and other completely open grilles are better.

chuck@evolution- Do you see the boss 302 grille being more restrictive than the factory GT grille with fogs?

Bullshit.

I was at the Texas Mile this past weekend and saw plenty of Roush grill 5.0's run without issue.

Here is some reference for you:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwnT7zO--o"]2011 5 0 Mustang 180.2 mph Texas Mile run in car video - YouTube[/nomedia]

Pic of said car (last post on page, 2011gt):

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

nocobrafornow

Established Member
i personally bought a Roush bumper and grill. what is the difference in what you buy verses what come on the Roush cars to keep airflow like it should be?

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Here's mine. I used mesh from the hardware store and painted it black, it looked awesome and prevented anything large from getting through the openings.

2011-09-23_14-03-07_850.jpg

This, and it costs under $10 :beer:

Took me a bit of time but worth it

chuckstang

Established Member
Bullshit.

I was at the Texas Mile this past weekend and saw plenty of Roush grill 5.0's run without issue.

Here is some reference for you:

2011 5 0 Mustang 180.2 mph Texas Mile run in car video - YouTube

Pic of said car (last post on page, 2011gt):

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

That vid does not show the grille so Im not sure what that proves, but Ford designed the boss302 grille for a reason and that car was purpose built for the track.

Im not saying there are going to be issues with the roush grille cause Im sure roush puts their roush model mustangs in a wind tunnel as well but I believe Ford does more testing then roush therefore I tend to believe their grille design is more optimal.

Who knows. I guess just get the one you like the look of most and can afford.

Although I would love to see 2 identical cars run the texas mile and a road course both, one with boss grille and one with roush and see if there is any differences.

chuckstang

Established Member
im curious as to what the 5.0 gt looks like up front with just the boss grille vs the roush, while keeping the factory front bumper.

Everyone and their brother goes to the boss/Calfornia Special lower bumper cover that I feel the factory bumper is more rare lol

cmsnake

Established Member
im curious as to what the 5.0 gt looks like up front with just the boss grille vs the roush, while keeping the factory front bumper.

Everyone and their brother goes to the boss/calfornia special lower bumper cover that i feel the factory bumper is more rare lol

+1

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member

No offense, this post is fail especially coming from someone who has done no testing and/ or changing of their own personal grill to see for themselves.

So from those pictures i posted you get.....airflow is not improved?
How? please advise

Also, with the roush grille, does too much pressue build under the hood at high speeds?

I know the GT500 I had was not a completely open grille for that reason...to prevent the hood from fluttering at speed and potentially flying off!

Im pretty sure ford strategically designed a hood latch for this purpose. Now having hood pins may be a different story in having hood flutter at high speeds. Personally, i dont see any hood movement vs roush from stock, but im not driving 150mph for extended periods of time to really know.

chuckstang

Established Member

No offense, this post is fail especially coming from someone who has done no testing and/ or changing of their own personal grill to see for themselves.

So from those pictures i posted you get.....airflow is not improved?
How? please advise

Im pretty sure ford strategically designed a hood latch for this purpose. Now having hood pins may be a different story in having hood flutter at high speeds. Personally, i dont see any hood movement vs roush from stock, but im not driving 150mph for extended periods of time to really know.

Im not gona lie, I do like how with the roush grille you get a wide open shot right into the factory CAI.

Here is what I really don't understand. Why arent all the serious drag racers running an open grille like the roush?

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member

Im not gona lie, I do like how with the roush grille you get a wide open shot right into the factory CAI.

Here is what I really don't understand. Why arent all the serious drag racers running an open grille like the roush?

why even run a bumper?
idk
im just letting you know for daily use or a weekend runner, i cant see a boss 302 grill or a stock grill being designed for more airflow vs a open gril like roush or saleen options. Now some guys run the gt/cs lower valence to run the brake cooling ducts like the boss, but i dont think a boss 302 grill is gonna flow better than some other options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread