Boss 302 Decal Package Question:

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
All, has anyone had to replace any of the decals on their 2013 Boss? When I purchased my car, I noticed that the vinyl on the front fenders down at the bottom were worn away somehow. Additionally, the dealership I purchased the car from allowed bird crap to sit on one of the stripes while on the lot, discoloring it. I am going to need to replace certain parts of the package and of course my local dealership is worthless. Their parts desk guy was unable to help me. And when I search for "Boss 302 Stripes" on various big OEM parts sites, I either get nothing, or else I get a bunch of aftermarket stripe kits coming up.

I would like to make it to a car show or two this year, but don't want to show the car with these defects in the stripes. I appreciate any leads you guys may have.

Last edited:

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I have plenty of defects on my stripes. Looks like when they used whatever to get the water out from under, it left some marks. The stripes are super expensive from FORD. Dealership had taken pics to send and try to get replaced under warranty but never got back to me and now bumper to bumper is up. It would be great if somebody would make a reflective kit like ours.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I had the driver side front fender on my LS replaced. The decal for just the fender was about $500.

i tried to find the exact vinyl to make my own but couldn't match it perfectly.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have looked into finding a matching vinyl, no luck. Ford must have really cornered this exact vinyl.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
That's what I was afraid of. Every single kit I've seen, it's the flat black, not the reflective. Criminy. I may just have to live with it. Spending $500 or more on a single piece of vinyl is...well, there are better uses of my money, that's for sure.

redncsvt

Established Member
The stripes on the hood and front end are over $1000. The dealer had mine replaced and i rejected it because who ever put them on did a crappy job. They had to order another set and have them put on again. So now mine is on the third set. Mine had bubbles under it. It was done under warranty. i wander if these stripes are covered by the Ford extended warranty.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
They should be covered in my opinion. They came with this from the factory. We all know our cars don't have a rough life. Therefore, Ford should come good on fixing any complaints.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
I'm not sure if I'd say that it's on Ford to correct issues with something like decals. I bought this car used, with something like 8,000 miles on it, and am the second owner. The damage to my hood stripe on the passenger side was caused by the dealership, and the damage to both front fenders (it's primarily in the "pinstripe" outline line to the main stripe) at the bottom suggests the first owner used to wash this car with either a pressure washer, or had a hard had when scrubbing the quarter panel.

I will say this, it explains why the dealership reacted as they did. I had noticed the stripe damage on the initial walkaround when I went to look at the car and at that time, the salesguy was like "Oh, I'm sure we can take care of that", and given that that was the only real damage, I was cool with it. After the paperwork was signed, they told me to give them a day or two to have their vinyl guy come in. Then two days later, I got a call saying that their vinyl guy was unavailable, and would I take $250 cash towards a repair? I had no idea how much these stripes were, and said sure thing. LOL I got played.

Of course, they gave me a hell of a deal, and gave me way more than I owed on the 2011, so I don't feel too bad in retrospect.

mycroft

Established Member
The '13 Boss 302 vinyl was a custom 3M matte gold reflective, and appears to be unavailable outside of the Ford parts counter, which as you have discovered is rather cost prohibitive.

As for the OE stripes, here's a breakdown:

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea.../5-0l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

For the regular '13 Boss, you'll want the 'BOSS 302, 2013 Black' stripes.

For the LS, you'd want the Gray stripes (which were matte reflective silver).

Last edited:

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
The '13 Boss 302 vinyl was a custom 3M matte gold reflective, and appears to be unavailable outside of the Ford parts counter, which as you have discovered is rather cost prohibitive.

As for the OE stripes, here's a breakdown:

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea.../5-0l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

For the regular '13 Boss, you'll want the 'BOSS 302, 2013 Black' stripes.

For the LS, you'd want the Gray stripes (which were matte reflective silver).

Uhhhh...hmmm. Now I wonder what's going on here. My '13 is indeed a regular Boss, however at night, it reflects white with a slight silver tinge. Definitely nothing gold about them. I wonder if the first owner swapped the stripes out for some reason.

Also, thank you very much for this parts list. I can at least make an informed decision about whether or not I want to replace the parts that need it. I do wish the diagrams were a lot better, but it's better than nothing. Sadly, it looks like the parts I would actually need, #1 the front quarter panels, isn't available.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Uhhhh...hmmm. Now I wonder what's going on here. My '13 is indeed a regular Boss, however at night, it reflects white with a slight silver tinge. Definitely nothing gold about them. I wonder if the first owner swapped the stripes out for some reason.

Also, thank you very much for this parts list. I can at least make an informed decision about whether or not I want to replace the parts that need it. I do wish the diagrams were a lot better, but it's better than nothing. Sadly, it looks like the parts I would actually need, #1 the front quarter panels, isn't available.

You are correct.. The regular Boss strips reflect more silver... They also can look grey in certain lighting as well.... But are black in regular sun light where as the LS stripes are grey under regular sunlight.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I possibly found a supplier for reflective decal. Matte black reflective. If I can get someone to get the sizes down, how many of you would be interested in possibly getting some stripes done to fix their messed up ones? I might look into this.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I might be interested in replacing, but I am definitely interested in getting some tape to match the hood stripes to continue it down the front bumper

Jabooh1

Established Member
I went through 8 different types of vinyl. The issue you will run into is that you may match the color under one light condition (say sunlight) but the nighttime reflection won't match. Also if you are placing it near the OEM vinyl there will most likely be a thickness difference.

I have a vinyl cutter and looked into this for about 6 months but couldn't get there.

I do hope you find it!

Steve@Tasca

If anyone needs help figuring out which OEM stripes are correct for their Boss you can feel free to PM me with your VIN and I can help with info only or assist in ordering.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread