Bosch 040 300 LPH fuel pump

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Anyone use this fuel pump in their return style system. The site is saying it will support 700 HP. Looks like a good upgrade to the 255 Walbro I am using as I gather parts for that 2.9 Whipple upgrade. Do you think this would support a 2.9 Whipple?

Bosch Fuel Pumps - BoschFuelPump

harvboi05

Established Member
i say sump your tank and run an inline 044. tried and true.

youre still running an 96 tank, correct?

harvboi05

Established Member
big lines, and an 255 wally feeding an 044 should be good for a good amount of power 600+. plus with the 044 as the pressure pump, you can jack up base fuel pressure fairly high.

i know its apples to oranges, but here is what tony1, has posted for pump combination flows for hondas and evos. hes gotta 183mph trapping, 1.2 60ft integra.

Pumpcombologo.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Interesting and thanks for sending. The 044 in line will work fine I guess but I am still curious if that 040 in tank by itself would work. Seems like the Walbro 255 would be close so I bet the 040 by itself would have the capacity. I would rather not run and inline if possible but at least I know this would work if the 040 does not have the capacity. Good info... I am surpiised that this 300 lph 040 bosch has not gained more popularity.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Thanks for posting this up. Im looking at a 04 engine to put in my car, this would be perfect. I dont like running an in line with all the extras-wires-relays-noise-cutting your lines. Im just not a fan of inlines. If the 700hp claim is true then why not. AND Bosch has been making car parts for a loooooong time.

also on a side note I cant beleve how bad the Det Lions suck!!!!

harvboi05

Established Member
Interesting and thanks for sending. The 044 in line will work fine I guess but I am still curious if that 040 in tank by itself would work. Seems like the Walbro 255 would be close so I bet the 040 by itself would have the capacity. I would rather not run and inline if possible but at least I know this would work if the 040 does not have the capacity. Good info... I am surpiised that this 300 lph 040 bosch has not gained more popularity.

it might work in tank, youll just have to fab up your own custom pump hat/holder. there may be an issue with size, its significantly larger than a wally. it would hands down be easier to run it inline, thats why i mentioned that. im surprised it hasnt gained more popularity pending their flow values.

this is a side by side pic of a wally vs 044 i stole of off srtforums:
picture-002.jpg

i was kinda in ur boat, trying to find out what pumps would be best for my setup. i was gunna fab a twin hat holder in my stock tank, but after messing around for a while, i just sprung for a fore hat. KISS.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
, but after messing around for a while, i just sprung for a fore hat.

Eventhough a 99-04 tank is needed, Id prefer the FORE hat/intank setup over hanging a few pumps underneath the car. Makes for a cleaner installation!

Last edited:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Man that 044 is huge compared to the W 255.... wonder if that would even fit in the 96 gt tank. Is thIs there any advantage to the 03-04 cobra tank if replacing the tank is the way I may go. I believe the 03 Cobra tank is baffled but not sure about the other 99-04 tanks. By the time you replace the tank with a Fore hat and new pumps you are looking at close to $1000 I would guess.

Maybe the inline 044 is looking like a better option. Do you know if the 96GT tank has a sump and or baffles and would work well with the 255 in tank with an 044 in line.

harvboi05

Established Member
thats why i said just sump the stock tank or run the bosch inline. i believe the GT tank is baffled for the stock pump/255 style pump, but running twin pumps would require some work to make it possible.

to swap to an 03/04 tank with a twin pump hat or to buy a sumped tank setup + pumps, youre looking at about 1k. so youre either looking at that or running an inline setup. pick your poison.

edit: 1k for brand new parts, sourcing used stuff will save ya tons.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Your initial input was correct. What do you mean by sumping the stock tank? What kind of fabrication woulld this require. Not sure how much work this would be. Thanks for your help.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Your initial input was correct. What do you mean by sumping the stock tank? What kind of fabrication woulld this require. Not sure how much work this would be. Thanks for your help.

You can buy pre-made sumped gas tanks or have one made.

Examples of sumped tanks:
1504-568x-glenns_tank_090508.jpg

Copy%20of%20IM000894.JPG

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the 040 def. won't work-I have been researching every possibility of fuel setups for 96-98 cars for a couple months deciding what to do- the 040 won't work - neither will the supra pumps or the kyosan. believe me- if there was a way to break the 550+ field without having to go double intanks or inline-they would've done it already. If you decide to run a pickup tube instead of a sumped tank- make sure the pump you choose is a drawup pump. I finally chose to go with a sumped tank- fragola lines, aeromotive rails and regulator- and finally a weldon 1100-a pump. I chose to run a single cause of pump failures with dual setups scare the **** outta me- plus I find big fuel pumps cool as shit. oh- and my setup costs less than the dual walbro glenn's perf setup- with the rails included

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
because the pump is too big in diameter- it would be way easier to get a pickup tube (100 bucks) run a single walbro 255 (110 bucks) and wiring upgrade (30 bucks). to make it easy if you don't want to **** with it much is to buy a pickup tube and get one of the anderson ford motorsports inline pump setup for like 259 bucks. something to think about though- why spent so much money on mods to only skimp on the one thing your car needs most- it's like having the most badass spaceshuttle ever and MAYBE having enough oxygen to make it home:D

Tunedprt91

Established Member
So does anybody know if the 600-700hp is at the crank or wheels? Im at 600rwhp which is about 700 crank and my pumps are maxed out. Running in tank walbro255 and inline walbro255 and running out of fuel up top so I have to shift at 5k rpm. You guys think the inline bosch and bigger fuel lines will help my fuel starvation? Only other choice would be 03/04 tank and fuel pumps etc but thats alot of cash to spend. Car is a 96 cobra.

gt347mustang

Established Member
So does anybody know if the 600-700hp is at the crank or wheels? Im at 600rwhp which is about 700 crank and my pumps are maxed out. Running in tank walbro255 and inline walbro255 and running out of fuel up top so I have to shift at 5k rpm. You guys think the inline bosch and bigger fuel lines will help my fuel starvation? Only other choice would be 03/04 tank and fuel pumps etc but thats alot of cash to spend. Car is a 96 cobra.

Yes, replace that 255 inline w an 044 and see what happens. Btw, what injectors are you using?

if anybody can find the right fittings for the 044 they should post them up. I remember they were a bitch to find!

Users who are viewing this thread