Borla Stingers drone?

jblood37

Established Member
I have the chance to trade my Bassani catback for a Borla Stingers catback. I've always loved the way the Stingers sound, but I like my current setup also. I'm wondering does anyone have drone with their Stingers on a setup like mine? I have Kooks long tubes and o/r x. I will do a decent amount of interstate driving so if droning is a problem then I'd have to say no to the deal.

s351

Established Member
The offroad x pipe might be a bit of an issue for the stingers droning, I loved my stingers with a catted x pipe and long tubes. Long tubes plus offroad x on the hwy, might get irritating after awhile.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
When I was in the market for exhaust I listened to a lot of videos. For me the Borla stingers are to raspy. So I opt for the bassani.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The trick to avoid highway drone & raspiness is to combine the stingers with a pro-chamber or h style mid pipe, instead of an "X" mid pipe.

Maybe, but I think an x pipe sounds the best with a mod motor. Personal preference.

b_dike

Established Member
I don't have lt's, but for my setup the drone comes in at 2k rpm in 6th. Which just happens to be 70mph. The speed I normally set the cruise to. Lol

I just drive a few mph over or below so it doesn't get too annoying. Other than that, the stinger, o/r x combo sounds absolutely amazing!!!

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I'm wondering does anyone have drone with their Stingers...

I think drone is much more dependant on the midpipe than the mufflers, with any O/R midpipe more prone to drone. The short time I had stingers on my car they droned about a bad as flowmasters did, with all other aspects of the exhaust the same.

jblood37

Established Member
I appreciate the responses guys. I do think the drone is pretty dependant on mid pipe as most of you have been saying. I'm happy that my o/r x and Bassanis don't drone right now. Now I'm wondering if it's worth taking the risk.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I have Borla stinger and I'm hoping it the mufflers are causing the drone. I had a catted H pipe with flowmaster super 44's and the drone was defiantly there at highway speeds.

I changed to AR 1 3/4 headers O/R X pipe and kept the same mufflers and the drone is still there, the car is a little louder now but the same drone. I'll be changing mufflers, as soon as I can find something a little quieter and hopefully eliminate the drone.

I drove the car 10 hours home when I bought it, and I felt like I was tone deaf when I got home, couldn't hear anything.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Magnaflow catted X with stingers and have drone around 75-80 mph. On long trips it gets annoying.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to agree with Brian since I rode in his car this weekend - the thing sounds possessed! But it's a good possessed, like look out traffic I'm going to blow your doors off. I really liked the sound and I wasn't fully a believer before. Now am I going to go out and buy it? No, I'm going with a ProChamber and my Bassani cat back, which I think should sound real nice and deep which is the sound I'm going for at this point.

b_dike

Established Member

Definitely interested in your setup since I've not heard that combo in person before. Should be pretty mean, but quiet at low revs...

jblood37

Established Member
I believe me and the guy are going to meet up and ride in each other's cars before deciding on anything. He has stock manifolds, o/r x, and the stingers. I wonder how much difference me having lts will make in the decibal level and droning? :shrug:

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member

Definitely interested in your setup since I've not heard that combo in person before. Should be pretty mean, but quiet at low revs...

Yeah I'm excited, I like the element of surprise there - quiet until I downshift and blow right on by! (at least what I'm envisioning lol)

Users who are viewing this thread