Borla stinger tail pipe alignment help.

Noreast

Established Member
* aligned pic update* Borla stinger tail pipe alignment help.

Hi fellas i have been fighting trying to get these tail pipes straight!! I need to take a step back and see if theres any other tips or tricks to get the right. Little back story, I bought the car with a bassani mid pipe with the borla stingers. When i bought it everything lined up great and there was a little gap between the tail pipes where they curve at the back . Being that its the end of winter i got bored and decided to sell the cat back for another set of stinger due to the old ones having a dent in the middle of it and then i decided to take cats out to see how it sounded. Well ever since i did that i cannot for the life of me get these pipes to not be rubbing against each other at the rear of the tail pipe where they start to curve. I put the cats back in and tried that and its the same thing ( thought maybe mid pipe was crooked ) So now im thinking if maybe the hangers need to be bent or something? Any help would be great as this is driving me crazy and doing it on my back just makes it more challenging. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Something doesn't sound like it's bent right, either the pipe or the hangers. They should be shaped the same, kind of like if you laid them on the ground they should mirror each other. Do you see any significant differenced when you lay them beside each over on the ground?

Can you post some pics?

Noreast

Established Member
I will take some pixtures today of everything. Yes everything is loose and no matter which way I twist the mufflers , pull them out , hit the tail pipes in ect they still touch. I made sure the mid pipe was evenly measured out also lol I'll take the CATBACK off later and do a side by side to see if anything looks off

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
I had a similar problem with the Stingers. It was to the point of rubbing the passenger tire and touching in the middle. I gave up after about 4 hours of loosening and rearranging. The tailpipes were also walleyed and the rubber grommets were stretched to an unnatural position. I finally gave up took them to an exhaust shop. They had to be rebent in the mandrel and a hanger had to be removed. The shop said it is not uncommon for pipes to come jacked up from the factory. I was surprised that Borla's would kick out that type of quality. I had SLP's at one point that fit like a charm, no issues what so ever. I still like the Stingers, but I'm not crazy about the quality control.

Noreast

Established Member
I was under it again today twisting pushing pulling ect ect and still notning. I forgot to take pictures because I was so determined to get it lol im going to mess around with it again tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I just really hope it doesn't come down to that lol it's not touching the tire but it's pretty close to it , but they are STILL touching in the middle. To think I thought I was a decent mechanic haha this is killing me!! Will update for anyone else having this issue.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Every car is slightly different and may need adjustment to hangers and/or pipe lenght to get a perfect fit. For me, the borla system fit well on the left and like crap on the right. had to shorted right side tubing and bend all hangers.

Last edited:

Noreast

Established Member
Yeah i took some pictures ill post up here in a few but i noticed my drivers side hanger wasn't sitting right at all. Going to heat them up later and bend it to where i think it has to be.

Noreast

Established Member
4013C47E-FA5F-44A8-801A-5B23C084AB63_zpszccressu.jpg

A60E7086-BC0E-46D8-BD8F-EEB91D52CAD2_zpslquiuqbb.jpg

20ABD46D-60B3-46F3-88B1-A58975519096_zpsfrvdvy1q.jpg

Dont mind the dirty garage floor lol

OP I couldn't get my Borla Stingers, when I had them, straight either...but man...you would be hard pressed to find a guy on the street that would say they weren't.

I'm with you. I saw that they weren't straight but unless you point out the flaws to people, they won't see it either.

My new Mac 3" with long ass tips isn't straight either, but no one BUT ME, knows the difference.

Know your struggle. Know it may keep you up at night like me...LOL.

But we are 'perfectionists' which is why it bothers us so much... :)

Noreast

Established Member
Its terrible! Still for the life of me cant get them to sit right. Going to try one other thing tonight before I bring it to my tuner and let him mess with it lol Borla-1 Me-0

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
The hangers may be bent, also if the pipe rubs on the passenger tire you should be ok once the car is on the floor and the tires go back to their resting locations. I did this on a lift and i fought with my straight tubes before the mufflers. In the end it wasnt 100 percent str8 but like others stated no one notices but me.

Noreast

Established Member
Well After hours messing with the exhaust I couldn't give up and bring it to the shop. I started bending the hangers (outward ) little by little, stuffed card board between the tail pipes so keep them apart and than tightened everything up. In my opinion I think I finally got it "perfect"!! Any one else think so or do they need some more ? Thanks everyone for the help! Now I just hope they stay like this lol Ill do a few Heat cycles on the stands and go over everything one last time.

F8BF2A5B-645D-4369-A8ED-EA01F3E58604_zpsyhqysmqd.jpg

94slowbra1

Established Member
when i did my headers and irs bushings i had a hard time getting mine back straight. they look like yours, one side looks more flat than the other. i tried and tried before i finally just said f it and let it be. like you side its barely noticeable. you would think for that king of money it would be a little easier. anyway they look good

Noreast

Established Member
when i did my headers and irs bushings i had a hard time getting mine back straight. they look like yours, one side looks more flat than the other. i tried and tried before i finally just said f it and let it be. like you side its barely noticeable. you would think for that king of money it would be a little easier. anyway they look good

lmao well i finally thought i got it. Butttt once i drove it they slowly got closer and closer and are touching again. Ill mess with it tonight again but something isnt right. I saw my buddies car with stingers and the gap was like a solid 1/2-1'' between the two

Noreast

Established Member
Everyones mid pipe looks much further to the left then mine. Maybe its the picture. I messed with it yesterday and got them good again, drove it and they didnt move so hopefully theyll stay like this! Mine look like yours 03cobra#694 so if they stay ill be happy

Users who are viewing this thread