Borla Exhaust- So Happy!

Sielmo

Established Member
In summary, after fretting over solving my exhaust rasp during the last several months, I decided to drop more cash and get the Borla Touring exhaust system. This should have been my first investment as nothing compares to the quality and sound this system produces. ..Im very happy and highly recommend this system.

Background:
After installing the typical Shelby engine upgrades ( pulley, TB,air intake and tune), I added Stainless Works LT headers, HF cats, and H pipe. The exhaust sound was horrible as it was very raspy and generally sounded like a farm truck. I ditched the stock mufflers and installed the Stainless Works muffler system and it was also terrible. From here, I installed resonators but there was not much improvement. Finally after some recommendations from some forum members and the horrible customer service at Stainless Works, I went with a Borla system and couldn't be happier. I did the complete Borla install in 90 minutes in my garage and it was by far, the easiest exhaust I've installed. The Stainless Works was much harder to get the proper fitment, leaked, and rattled in certain rpm ranges not to mention the obnoxious rasp.
Bottom line, I highly recommend Borla and I hope some of your find my experience useful if faced with the same issues.

Last edited:

Sielmo

Established Member
In summary, after fretting over solving my exhaust rasp during the last several months, I decided to stop more cash and get the Borla Touring exhaust system. This should have been my first investment as boring compares to the quality and sound this system produces. ..Im very happy and highly recommend this system.

Background:
After installing the typical Shelby engine upgrades ( pulley, TB,air intake and tune), I added Stainless Works LT headers, HF cats, and H pipe. The exhaust sound was horrible add it was very raspy and generally sounded like a fam truck. I ditched the stock mufflers and installed the Stainless Works muffler system and it was also terrible. From here, I installed resonators but there was not much improvement. Finally after some recommendations from some forum members and the horrible customer service at Stainless Works, I went work Borla and couldn't be happier. I did the complete Borla install in 90 minutes in my garage and it was by far the easiest exhaust I've installed. The Stainless Works was much harder to get the proper fitment, leaked if not perfect, and rattled in certain rpm ranges not to mention the obnoxious rasp.
Bottom line, I highly recommend Borla and I hope some of your find my experience useful if faced with the same issues.

Sorry for the poor grammar. I should have created this post on my computer vice an Android phone!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Props for caring about what you wrote. A rarity these days it seems.

Good to hear about the Borla hardware. Never inexpensive but the quality always seems to be there.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Appreciate you sharing the story. I have Borla ATAK mufflers on mine (rest is stock) and I am not 100% happy. I like the low RPM sound a lot, but when you step on it the sound is a bit too much for my liking. I see you have Borla Touring system, is this just mufflers or ???? I was unaware of such a system, so I am quite curious, as I have contemplated going back to stock. Also, unlike your experience, it took me a long time to get everything rotated and in place to look even close to even (symmetrical). I think one of the hangers on the mufflers may have been tweaked in shipping or something as it was tough to align.

Thanks

Sielmo

Established Member
Appreciate you sharing the story. I have Borla ATAK mufflers on mine (rest is stock) and I am not 100% happy. I like the low RPM sound a lot, but when you step on it the sound is a bit too much for my liking. I see you have Borla Touring system, is this just mufflers or ???? I was unaware of such a system, so I am quite curious, as I have contemplated going back to stock. Also, unlike your experience, it took me a long time to get everything rotated and in place to look even close to even (symmetrical). I think one of the hangers on the mufflers may have been tweaked in shipping or something as it was tough to align.

Thanks

I bought the cat-back version which essentially is the exhaust portion right after the H pipe. Borla has a few different series that vary on sound profiles with the ATAK series being the loudest. The Touring series is the quietest and it was my preference since I have LT headers and HF cats. I was vary apprehensive about trashing my SW exhaust since I just spent a considerable amount of money on the purchase as well as adding resonators, so I did a fair amount of web searching for Borla sound clips before making the decision to purchase. As far as the fitment, the SW system was not nearly as easy to install for a few reasons. The OTA pipe is in two sections vice one (Borla) so its another joint to manipulate for correct alignment. Also, the exhaust is 3" vice 2.5" so the extra joints and tighter clearances made it very difficult to keep everything from touching the body, which I still couldn't get correct. In hindsight, I would not choose a 3" exhaust again. Finally, SW customer service is very poor and this is a big issue for me.

Cuda426

Established Member
I recently installed the same system on mine and was blown away at the results afters spending a ton of money on mufflers and resonators. The only difference is I ditched the high flow cats. H pipe, no cats, borla touring cat back system. Killer sound and no drone. Loud enough but not too loud. Good info.

George@stainles

I bought the cat-back version which essentially is the exhaust portion right after the H pipe. Borla has a few different series that vary on sound profiles with the ATAK series being the loudest. The Touring series is the quietest and it was my preference since I have LT headers and HF cats. I was vary apprehensive about trashing my SW exhaust since I just spent a considerable amount of money on the purchase as well as adding resonators, so I did a fair amount of web searching for Borla sound clips before making the decision to purchase. As far as the fitment, the SW system was not nearly as easy to install for a few reasons. The OTA pipe is in two sections vice one (Borla) so its another joint to manipulate for correct alignment. Also, the exhaust is 3" vice 2.5" so the extra joints and tighter clearances made it very difficult to keep everything from touching the body, which I still couldn't get correct. In hindsight, I would not choose a 3" exhaust again. Finally, SW customer service is very poor and this is a big issue for me.

Sir my name is George Rumore I am the sales manager here at Stainless Works. If you would be so kind to either call me at 1-800-878-3635 or email me your contact info I would like to speak to you about your experience with us at Stainless Works. Thank you for your time on this.

MattR

Established Member
In summary, after fretting over solving my exhaust rasp during the last several months, I decided to drop more cash and get the Borla Touring exhaust system. This should have been my first investment as nothing compares to the quality and sound this system produces. ..Im very happy and highly recommend this system.

Background:
After installing the typical Shelby engine upgrades ( pulley, TB,air intake and tune), I added Stainless Works LT headers, HF cats, and H pipe. The exhaust sound was horrible as it was very raspy and generally sounded like a farm truck. I ditched the stock mufflers and installed the Stainless Works muffler system and it was also terrible. From here, I installed resonators but there was not much improvement. Finally after some recommendations from some forum members and the horrible customer service at Stainless Works, I went with a Borla system and couldn't be happier. I did the complete Borla install in 90 minutes in my garage and it was by far, the easiest exhaust I've installed. The Stainless Works was much harder to get the proper fitment, leaked, and rattled in certain rpm ranges not to mention the obnoxious rasp.

I agree, I really do like the SW retro cat back sound but also found the install frustrating compared to the cat back I purchased for my Dodge Charger from Corsa. I finally gave up and had a muffler shop try, after two attempts its as good as it gets. Over the axle and panhard area are very tight and I still get the occasional clunk on rough roads and the tips really stick out far.

I as well call SW customer service and was told my issues were due to my aftermarket rear suspension (BMR pan hard bar) and lowering the car some. Its certainly true they cant design for every combination so i'm going to live with it for now. I may put the factory cat back on before spending any additional money.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sir my name is George Rumore I am the sales manager here at Stainless Works. If you would be so kind to either call me at 1-800-878-3635 or email me your contact info I would like to speak to you about your experience with us at Stainless Works. Thank you for your time on this.

If George is aware of the situation, it will be corrected.
I had a great experience with SW, still loving their full kit.
-J

Sielmo

Established Member
If George is aware of the situation, it will be corrected.
I had a great experience with SW, still loving their full kit.
-J

Thanks!
I'd definitely like to discuss my concerns with him. Both me and the local distributer were so frustrated with the customer service.

Sielmo

Established Member
My car with the Stainless Works kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bPHn_pHrw
-J

I LOVE this video and based my complete system purchase on this exact video! Our local distributor raved about the quality and fitment and I can definitely agree...mostly.
BUT, Here is the difference which I quickly discovered and wish I did more homework:
This video is based on a complete system upgrade on a 2013 Shelby. The mufflers offered for the 2011+ are the Retro Chambered version whereas my only option for my 2010 model is the rear mounted Turbo Chambered mufflers...BIG difference in sound quality.
I installed the headers, HF Cats, and H pipe and love the quality, workmanship, and HP gains. The issues was the ridiculous rasp. I then tried to solve the rasp issue by purchasing their exhaust system as per their recommendation and I was not impressed. My poor experience with SW was solely based on customer service only and I'll address my experiences with them and I hope they take my recommendations into consideration. I learned an expensive lesson that there is a big difference in sound quality between the two mufflers as described and cant focus blame on them on what I didn't know. My thread is more about praising the sound and workmanship quality of Borla and sharing my experiences, specifically about what works and what doesn't when it comes to curing the rasp issue.

Sielmo

Established Member
sounds clips?

Dyno Run after installing the JDM upgrade package, Stainless Works LT headers, HF Cats, and H pipe. Exhaust is FRS 500 mufflers which were immediately swapped out to the stock GT 500 set which were not much better.

https://youtu.be/KLDdcre9MlA

This is the driveway soundclip of the Borla Touring system with JDM upgrade package, Stainless Works LT headers, HF Cats, and H pipe.

https://youtu.be/cetsFnWvhS0

I'll dig up my driveway sound clip and post later of the Stainless Works exhaust, JDM upgrade package, Stainless Works LT headers, HF Cats, and H pipe.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
[video=youtube_share;fOGN7sw0eX4]http://youtu.be/fOGN7sw0eX4[/video]

A short clip of my 2010 with stock manifolds, h-pipe and Borla Touring axle backs.

Users who are viewing this thread