borla 14858

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
I'm running the 14858 right now, but may be interested in trading for the
FR500. I'm in Central Florida if anyone wants to discuss a swap.

I haven't taken pics of the system on my car, but I do have some I could
email you of a Sonic Cobra with the same system (rear view, not under car).
This version doesn't have the rolled tips, but has slash cut tips, 4" diameter,
and they are slightly angled to follow the curve of the rear valence panel.

Last edited:

coakeson

Established Member
I have the Steeda catback right now with the Magnaflow X pipe and I love it. The only thing that I want to change is to get the Borla 4 inch tips. Does anyone know if the Borla tailpipes will fit on the Steeda catback? I know that Borla sells just the tips but I would rather get the whole tailpipe section. I wonder if anyone sells the whole tailpipe section with the 4 inch tips?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
coakeson said:
Does anyone know if the Borla tailpipes will fit on the Steeda catback?
I don't see why they wouldn't. The pipes and muffler dimensions are physically identical. Check out the link in post #4 of this thread and look at the pictures.

The problem will be trying to get Borla to sell you just the tailpipes with the tips. I'm not sure they'll do it. :shrug:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
This system didn't use to be that popular. I remember buying mine less than 2 years ago for something like $575 shipped. The same place I bought mine is now selling it for $799.99 + shipping!?!?! :eek:

Link to $799 cat-back

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I think the price went up because they changed to the rolled stinger tips. Used to not have those. Did you get the rolled polished tips for $575?

Top_Fuel said:
This system didn't use to be that popular. I remember buying mine less than 2 years ago for something like $575 shipped. The same place I bought mine is now selling it for $799.99 + shipping!?!?! :eek:

Link to $799 cat-back

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Did you get the rolled polished tips for $575?
Yes. :shrug: I was happy with my 14858...but if it was $800 I think I would have considered something less expensive.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I think all stainless steel products went up nationally about a year ago.

Quick Strike

Established Member
03yllwguy said:
I think all stainless steel products went up nationally about a year ago.

Bingo! I got my Steeda two years ago for $545 shipped. I am also looking to trade or sell mine. I want to go with the FR500. The Steeda had a very nice sound with the stock H and exhaust manifolds, but became too loud and drones with the addition of shorty headers and a MRT H. The headers and H are staying, so the Steeda must go.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Quick Strike said:
The Steeda had a very nice sound with the stock H and exhaust manifolds, but became too loud and drones with the addition of shorty headers and a MRT H.

Curious, is your MRT catted or not? [EDIT: Just looked at your sig and saw catted H. Still too loud?? ]

I've heard from various people that the Steeda/Borla 14858 have more or less "straight-through" mufflers, and if you run NO cats, they get obnoxiously loud...

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Cobra-21 said:
Curious, is your MRT catted or not? [EDIT: Just looked at your sig and saw catted H. Still too loud?? ]

I've heard from various people that the Steeda/Borla 14858 have more or less "straight-through" mufflers, and if you run NO cats, they get obnoxiously loud...

Yes, still too loud with cats: even with B-Quiet Ultimate on the floor pan, trunk and quarters! It was great system with the stock H and manifolds. The sound was just about perfect. It was hard to imagine how these changes could make it that much louder. My wife holds her ears on uphill inclines as the drone at 2K rpm is unbearable!

- Aj -

Established Member
Quick Strike said:
Bingo! I got my Steeda two years ago for $545 shipped. I am also looking to trade or sell mine. I want to go with the FR500. The Steeda had a very nice sound with the stock H and exhaust manifolds, but became too loud and drones with the addition of shorty headers and a MRT H. The headers and H are staying, so the Steeda must go.

So what are you looking for to replace it?

- Aj -

Established Member
Ahhh....sorry - I didn't fully read your last post. So you think this setup will be quieter? Why?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
FYI, the FR500 catback is not stainless! That's why it's so cheap. So actually, for not being stainless it's expensive.

I have bassani headers and catted X pipe. I had the Borla Stingers and it droned like crazy and was just too loud. I am surprised you are droning with the mufflers, it sounds like you had Stingers... hmmm. I was planning on buying the 14858 but you say it drones like crazy? I have heard from most that it is quiet and only gets loud when you step on it.

Quick Strike

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
FYI, the FR500 catback is not stainless! That's why it's so cheap. So actually, for not being stainless it's expensive.

No, the FR500 catback is stainless (409). I found it even cheaper here. Search by part number for M-5230-M58 over there, and read the description. I also looked at a used one that was definitely stainless. It was just a little to beat up for the money wanted.

Yes, the Steeda catback was very quiet with the stock H, but it is annoying loud with the MRT catted H now. I can tolerate a lot of noise. I owned an open header Buick 455 that I raced every weekend. I definitely I know loud when I hear it!

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I wonder if it will be loud with the CATTED bassani X and bassani headers. I know that the Borla Stingers were sick loud.

I did searches, and the quietest catback was the FR500, and the 2nd was the 14858/steeda.

Then I also heard the FR500 sounds like CRAP with an aftermarket X pipe. No idea about how it sounds with an H.

Quick Strike said:
No, the FR500 catback is stainless (409). I found it even cheaper here. Search by part number for M-5230-M58 over there, and read the description. I also looked at a used one that was definitely stainless. It was just a little to beat up for the money wanted.

Yes, the Steeda catback was very quiet with the stock H, but it is annoying loud with the MRT catted H now. I can tolerate a lot of noise. I owned an open header Buick 455 that I raced every weekend. I definitely I know loud when I hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread