Boost Overlay question. Can you guys help me please?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey guys. I have a Boost Overlay customer that I'm trying to help and I was hoping some of you out there may have run into this situation. We could sure use your experience and advice. I asked him to write in detail what is happening and I will include his response below. I did a search but could not find an exact similar situation to reference to.
He and I would sure be greatfull if we could get this resolved and get him back on the road. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Here is his message to me:

Ok Ray thanks,
I followed your instructions for removal of the cluster. Everything was ok untill I removed the boost gauge needle. While attempting to calibrate the boost gauge per the instructions, I noticed that my cluster boost gauge would not move. While the after market boost gauge I have would move and read the same as the gauge on my hand held pump. I then checked all fittings for any leaks and founds none. I then hooked up my hand held pump up my cluster boost gauge and still it would not move.

I then noticed I had pulled the shaft which the boost needle rest on out of position off of the cam. I then used needle nose pliers to reset the shaft. I then reconnected the hand held pump to calibrate and nothing the same thing would happen the boost gauge would not move. I then went ahead and installed back in the car to see if it would work and it did not. I also noticed that my fuel and tempeture gauges would max out when I turn on the car. I have not had time to look at again, any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks, Jacob

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
sounds like he broke the stock boost guage. its almost like spring loaded and when the needle got removed it became unusable...

just my .02 cents

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i forgot to mention that when the guages(the electronic ones only) are grounded they will max out

so perhaps theres a ground issue also

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Um, I'm pretty sure the factory boost gauge is mechanical...

i was refering to the other guages did you read his WHOLE post..... :burn:

re-read the entire original post

also noticed that my fuel and tempeture gauges would max out when I turn on the car. I have not had time to look at again, any ideas on what to try next?

however having a battery with low voltage will also cause the guage sweep as well. so he may need to check his battery and also the alt ray.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
i was refering to the other guages did you read his WHOLE post..... :burn:

re-read the entire original post

however having a battery with low voltage will also cause the guage sweep as well. so he may need to check his battery and also the alt ray.

My reading comprehension skills FTL. :bash:

Carry on. :-D

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i don't recall the "drive" shaft coming off when i did mine. it has been a while since i did mine, but i thought just the plastic indicator needle popped off and then you had to clip the plastic tab that limited sweep. i tried during the removal step to not disturb or twist the orientation of the metal shaft....pry straight up...then replace the clipped needle straight down, no twisting. i think it came out pretty accurate for the mods i have (but i have never confirmed this with a gauge)

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i don't recall the "drive" shaft coming off when i did mine. it has been a while since i did mine, but i thought just the plastic indicator needle popped off and then you had to clip the plastic tab that limited sweep. i tried during the removal step to not disturb or twist the orientation of the metal shaft....pry straight up...then replace the clipped needle straight down, no twisting. i think it came out pretty accurate for the mods i have (but i have never confirmed this with a gauge)

they do not come off unless you break it.... :nonono:

black04vert

Established Member
Thanks for the input so far, The battery has not given me any issue's but I'll check it tomorrow. I live in Central Ca.

mooch91

Established Member
Thanks for the input so far, The battery has not given me any issue's but I'll check it tomorrow. I live in Central Ca.

My gauges will max out the first time I start the car after re-connecting the battery too (in addition to if the battery voltage is low). If you've been disconnecting the batt to do the cluster work, this may be why you're seeing what you are.

buster1

Established Member
Boost gage

I messed up mine like this when I first installed an overlay a few years back , ended up taking it apart further and had bent the post a bit and the small gears (post and sector) weren't meshing , straightened the post out very carefully and it was OK .

black04vert

Established Member
Checked everthing one last time and reinstalled the cluster and everything work fine. Don't know what happened the first two times but it all works fine now Thanks for the all the input.

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
I messed up mine like this when I first installed an overlay a few years back , ended up taking it apart further and had bent the post a bit and the small gears (post and sector) weren't meshing , straightened the post out very carefully and it was OK .

Same thing happen to me when i tried removing. My theory is some over bending took place here. I did exactly what he's saying by doing VERY light bending. You can even see if i put too much pressure on the needle itself it will lock the gauge. Upon pulling up on it (SLIGHTLY) it will mesh again and all works.

Glad to hear it worked out though!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Glad to hear everything worked out Jacob. Thanks for following up. I had planned to shoot you a PM and check up on things again tonight. I knew if I posted for some help we would get some good suggestions. Thanks to all who replied with their help as well.

Ray H.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
as i recall, the exact same thing happened to me with my install

the first time i put it back together, the needle did not move, and i was like huh?. but then i took it back out and fiddled with it a little bit, and it worked the second time. i didn't have a pump to check before i put it back into the dash so i was sort of flying blind.

great product!

black04vert

Established Member
Once again Thanks guys for the input, and Thank You Ray for your time. I have the high boost overlay and looks good, especially at 21lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread