Boost levels for stock motor?

whatwhine

Established Member
Hey all, quick question, is 10psi too much for a stock 11 as far as the reliability of keeping the bottom intact?
Looking at possible combos and kits this weekend, might jump on the sales.
Thanks yal

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Plenty of people running 10 psi on the stock motor. What blower are you looking to get? Centrifugals like procharger and paxton/vortech are easier on the engine because they don't make boost down low like positive displacement blowers.

whatwhine

Established Member
I want the VMP but centris are so much cheaper. I'm on the fence.

Found a used vortech tuner for $4k
And beefcake has VMPs on sale 10% off this weekend, stage 2 is around $6500. I want power but I want to be cheap lol

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Go Turbo..... although the VMP stuff with ported blower is great! 600 to the wheels is pretty much a stock car these days for a modified car.

That will be easy but no one jus wants 600 hp. maybe now but 6 months from now ull be wanting more especially if u DD it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
then VMP is ur best bet. u can run E85 and make tons of power but ur motor won't handle it for very long. or shud I say ur Rods won't handle it for very long.

whatwhine

Established Member
Yeah I know the bottom has a limit. I will do a built motor later in life anyway.
At what point do I need injectors and BAP?
I know every car is different, just wondering if there's a set psi that's normal?
I'm leaning towards the used vortech... the vmp is $2500 more

fuelforfire87

Established Member
usually anything more than 600 rwhp you need larger injectors than what the kit comes with. I personally would get a boost a pump now If you have the cash. It will serve as extra protection from leaning out. Also if this is your daily driver you may want to play it safe and go for 8 or 9 lbs of boost until you get a built motor.

TenaciousRock

Established Member
The Stage 2 VMP comes with BAP and 56# injectors standard. Not sure if the Beefcake special will allow for the discounted injectors or not but usually when you order if you order the ID1000's at the same time they're usually $500 option (normal price is about $1,000)

I have the Stage 2 VMP and love mine. I am still running the canned tune that VMP sent with the kit but it made 562/485. With some tuning tweaks it will definitely make 600+/500+. It drives like stock under normal conditions still too.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
It's a grey area, but I've been running 9-10 lbs since 2014 around 10k miles on my 13. I only run E85 now to make sure it doesn't detonate and to make sure the tune is on point. I definitely consider the motor to be a ticking bomb though. Made 680's on 9psi. I don't have much seat time in a roots/screw car, mostly with my centri.I can tell you the lack of torque down low is terrible for DAILY purposes as in under 4000 rpm or so. Of course racing you'll be above that rpm during shifts and it won't be much of a problem. I had to add the torque booster to mine when it had the centri (paxton 2200) to make it tolerable. I ended up spending just as much as if I would have bought a CPR turbo to begin with.

Last edited:

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I'd go Beef Paxton kit before I bought a used Vortech. Always rolling the dice on a used kit unless you know the previous owner. The Ford Performance 2.3 Whipple kit deal is a great value if you want a PD. Look around here to find the links to the kit.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wud not go that route bro. The VMP stuff is worth the extra money. totally different set-up and potential

Well even if I need to buy injectors and bap, it's cheaper with the used vortech than a vmp

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I never checked the prices for the TVS for the 11-14 their $6500?
Yikes why is it $3K more than the 03/04 Cobra version?

Reaper14

Established Member
Going procharger through beefcake special & adding the stage 1 e85 kit is a good option too. Been looking into which one to pick myself. But probably wont pull the trigger for a while. All support mods 1st

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

whatwhine

Established Member
Actually looking at procharger as well, I'm talking to TPS Motorsports currently, they have 0% financing for one year, which helps me.
Beefcake no longer has the vmp at $6500. Back to its regular price

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I never checked the prices for the TVS for the 11-14 their $6500?
Yikes why is it $3K more than the 03/04 Cobra version?
The coyote cars need all parts including lower intake, Inercooler, heat exchanger, etc... The terminators simply reuse all stock equipment minus the blower.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Procharger on my car and it runs great. Make sure you really know what your goal is for the car before you purchase a blower kit. The $250 upgrade options for head unit, intercooler, ect go a long way. Spend more up front now to prevent spending a lot more in the future.

VMP gen2r is my vote. By the time you add a wastegate, pulley, belt, and race intercooler to the Procharger you're past VMP pricing. Im sticking with the Procharger and upgrading to the d1x head unit this summer. It's only because im stubborn

Users who are viewing this thread